Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I ended up ordering all 205/60/15. I was going to go with like a 50 or 55, but they didnt make them for the tires I got. I think I will be happy with the outcome. The guy at Totten Tire said they are considered to be a "Mild Low Profile" which sounds like what I want. I will post pics tomarrow night after I get them back.

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
Sparky73 said:
I ended up ordering all 205/60/15. I was going to go with like a 50 or 55, but they didnt make them for the tires I got. I think I will be happy with the outcome. The guy at Totten Tire said they are considered to be a "Mild Low Profile" which sounds like what I want. I will post pics tomarrow night after I get them back.

That's about 1.25" taller than stock BTW...they will probably rub in the front wheel wells. Acceleration and braking will suffer too, there's a lot more rotating mass to deal with now. Just a heads-up....

Bob

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
If they are going to rub, then why did everyone recommend that size? Not to be rude or anything but I'll be pissed if they don't fit. I have been posting various Forums for the past few months, plus done figuring myself, and according to all the people that I have talked to, said they wil fit fine. I am going with a 1" spacer too if that makes a difference. How do people go with the tires wider then 7"?

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
That 60 series tire will be a bit taller, and I've never known anyone to go with a 205/60/15. The 50 series will more closely approximate the normal rolling diameter, that's why almost everyone here recommended a 50 series. You'll recall I too recommended a 195/50/15, and even posted a link to a car with the same size wheel you have (15x7) with that 195/50/15 tire size to show how they look.
Don't fret...hopefully the 60s will fit and look great. Just be careful since, as Bob indicated they might rub. After they're mounted, check them out turn to turn with the car's suspension loaded to make sure they're safe. Remember when you're cornering hard, your suspension is fully loaded in a turn...and that's precisely the situation you don't want to encounter rubbing problems. A good tire shop shouldn't turn you loose on the highway with rubbing tires.

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
It may have been my wheel offsets, but I ran 215/50r15's on a 2" lowered GT with no problems at all. When I upgraded to 16x7" rims, I used 215/45r16's on all corners with no rubbing. Got rid of the 16's later due to their heft and styling. Larger wheels really affect acceleration and braking, as Bob said.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Those 60's will DEFINATELY rub. I currently have 195/60 14 front and 215/60 14 rear. The car has NOT been lowered. If I put the 215s on the front they rub if you turn and if I hit a bump, the rear tires rub when they go up.

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well just in this thread..look what I found.

Probably look at a 195 or 205/60 15 I dont think the wheel is wide enough for a 50 series and besides, with the 60 series youll have a taller sidewall to fill in the well.

I think you might have a problem finding a 50 series tire to fit a 7" rim. They might require an 8" rim. But I dont know. Havent looked for one.
If you are not planning on lowering the car, Id go for the 60 series.

Sorry to say, but this is bullshit. Im sorry I'm so pissed, but everyone seemed so confident that they would fit..and now everyone is doubting it! What am I supposed to do after ordering 500 dollars in tires? Its a little late to change your story!

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Calm down. You can return the tires if they havent been mounted to the wheels. Also, I havent driven my car is almost 18 years. Its been in storage for 16 years and Im just in the middle of restoring it. I just remembered that my 60 series rubbed in the back on big bumps, but it wasnt that big of a deal, I drove on them for 3 years without a problem until I put the car in storage. The fronts dont rub, they are 195's. I originally put a 215 and then a 205 on the front , but they rubbed, so thats why I went to a 195.

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Thom71GT said:
Calm down. You can return the tires if they havent been mounted to the wheels. Also, I havent driven my car is almost 18 years. Its been in storage for 16 years and Im just in the middle of restoring it. I just remembered that my 60 series rubbed in the back on big bumps, but it wasnt that big of a deal, I drove on them for 3 years without a problem until I put the car in storage. The fronts dont rub, they are 195's. I originally put a 215 and then a 205 on the front , but they rubbed, so thats why I went to a 195.
Can you recall whether these were 13" or 15"?

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Yes. It was neither. 14 x 6

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well mine are already mounted, and he said considered "Non-Returnable". They are 15x7 with a 60 series tire. But..if they are only like 2 inches bigger than stock..than why would they rub. You can get a 2 inch lowering kit.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
They are mounted? Do they rub? If not, then be happy.

You can have 5 different 60 series tires and they all could be different heights. It all depends on the first number. A 225/60 is going to be a lot higher than a 205/60. I currently have 195/60 R14 frnt and 215 60 R14 rear and the rear hits if I hit a big bump or dip. Perhaps I need new rear springs. They are original.

When I lower the car 2" in the front and 1" in the rear I will be getting a much lower profile tire with much tighter suspension.

I must admit that all this tire crap is confusing. I am going with what has worked for other people and going with similar sizes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently bought some 15x7 rims that were made for '84 to '91 BMW E30s. They have a 20mm offset. I would probably like to have a 205/50R15 or 205/60R15. Would these tires rub anywhere? What would be the advantages and disadvantages versus a 195/50R15 tire?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts