Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jim R.'s 1969 Opel GT 1.9

if anyone has any of the following in "good" condition that your willing to sell me for a reasonable price.....let me know

1-dash board uncracked*
2-brakes and rotors (or alturnatives)
3-yellow flasher lights (all around with trim)
4-exhaust (whatever is availible)
5-front shocks

* this is must

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I Neeeeed

also a clutch cable and spring....I WAS RECENTLY WORKING ON MY OPEL AND WENT TO PUSH IN THE CLUTCH AND IT DROPPED RIGHT TO THE FLOOR!...wow was i pissed

if anyone has any thing for me let me know

and im wondering on the 69 gt is it normal for the clutch pedel to be really tight and hard to push in?
mine was but im thinking it was rubbing real bad or somethig which caused it to break

· Registered
616 Posts
jim r said:
also a clutch cable and spring....I WAS RECENTLY WORKING ON MY OPEL AND WENT TO PUSH IN THE CLUTCH AND IT DROPPED RIGHT TO THE FLOOR!...wow was i pissed

if anyone has any thing for me let me know

and im wondering on the 69 gt is it normal for the clutch pedel to be really tight and hard to push in?
mine was but im thinking it was rubbing real bad or somethig which caused it to break
what spring are you talking about?

and the cable was probably seized, or at least somewhat tight, then with the leverage from the pedal pulling it, it couldn't take it and snapped. that would also explain why it was really tight and hard to press in.

i put the whole drivetrain in my GT (also a '69) a few months ago with a brand new clutch & pressure plate and the clutch was pretty easy to push in... feels about the same as my 2002 sentra, although i haven't driven the gt yet... sadly

· Registered
6,344 Posts
Not too many folks will have a clutch cable for a 69 GT, I don't think. Check out www.opelgtsource.com , they have an on-line catalog and can probably fix you right up with a cable and the spring.

I Don't know if there is a button that goes in the throw-out arm of your particular year for the spring that goes back to the tranny mount, but you could call Gil or Dennis and ask them. HTH.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im not 100 percent sure abou thte clutch line but either way its broke and i need to replace it lol....and i will definitly check out that site....thanks guys

· 1971 GT
639 Posts
Jim - I'm not sure how much you've examined the cable thus far but make sure you didn't just snap the e-ring that tensions the cable at the firewall in the engine compartment. When they break, the pedal just clunks to the floor.

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
"E"-clip

Jim r , Have a look at this thread about clutch cables - and fixing them!

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7544&highlight=clip

Your cable is probably just a bit dry and rusty - work some oil down the cable inside the outer cover and that should free it up. Usually just the "E"-clip breaks and lets the cable come back through the firewall - the cable itself is still OK. ( He says - being the owner of an auto gearbox GT :eek: )

· Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Jim,

I seriously doubt that anyone with an uncracked dash is willing to give it up. Myself included. If money is no opject and ogts doesnt have it. You can get whatever you need here. www.opelgtparts.com

· OPEL-LESS!!!
2,111 Posts
all of the things you are asking for would probably be best to get new, and OGTS has it all, with exception of the dashpad.

they are extremely rare, i've only truley had 1 perfect dash, and 1 that was close. OGTS sells dashcaps that do look really good, nobody would know the difference if they didnt know what to look for, or you can send your dash out to places listed somewhere on this site in other threads that will refurbish your origional core in a few different color choices.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GUESS WHAT GUYS......IT WAS THE E-CLIP......FOR TEMP FIX I FAB'D SOME HEAVY GUAGE SHEETMELTAL TO SLIP IN A FEW OF THE HOLDING SLOTS......only using till i find clips for it....any suggestions on where to get them?....buy local or special order deal?

· Registered
6,344 Posts
Jim, run that question by Gene, (BQS4), I heard he found some originals a while back, or try going to your local parts store and see if the have large ones that will fit. Either way, more than one is not a bad idea, just to be on the safe side and have a spare.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ill let ya know my address but i also want to knwo if they break easily..........if they do i will just throw few clips on it one behind another to make sure it hold tight

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
That is what 99% of us do. We have 1-3 spares right on the extra splines so we don't have to track a 0.05 cent item which prevents us from driving.

· Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Yup. I have about a half dozen of them in my ashtray. Keeps the change company.

· Super Moderator
9,837 Posts
Jim;
When you get them, I'm sending 6, put one on, then get a short piece of heater hose to wrap around the clip while it's on the cable, then secure the hose with ty-wraps and that will prevent it from popping off in the future.
Gene

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.