Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Opelizer
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Announcing my new arrival! 1973 Manta Blue Max. Found it on ebay and had it shipped to me. Sweet vehicle. 87,000 actual miles, no rust, interior in very good condition - no major problems. All instruments work. Engine and automatic transmission rebuilt less than 300 miles. Vinyl roof is in perfect condition. Car was stored for 8 years indoors with cover. New paint job right before going into storage. It was the buy of a lifetime - no restoration needed!
Would like to post pictures if someone would tell me how. :)

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
Go to the gallery, or email me.

Love to see pictures for my restoration. BTW any Blue Max lagos or labels on yours? THe advertisements all mention Blue Max badging, but no one has seemed to recall having it on the cars.

Charles

·
Opelizer
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try to get them on ASAP. I need to shoot more of the details of the car but have external views. There are no logos or labels anywhere on the car. I appreciate the help.

·
Über Genius
9,375 Posts
Man is that car straight. Sweet!!!!!!!!!!

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Oh! Yes we do!

scrapman said:
Thanks for the help. I sent them on up. Still waiting for approval.
Despite being riven with envy and jealousy we do approve!

·
7,517 Posts
Very nice.. just not a Blue Max

VERY VERY sweet looking Manta, I hope mine looks that good when I am done.

Yours is rare in that it has a White Vinyl roof and Regency Blue Paint. Regency is a very rare color.

Noticed it doesn't have the Luxus badges. Is it a Luxus? Wood trim on the door panels and bigger arm rests on the door, along with velour seats are the signs of a Luxus.

That said, it would seem yours is not a Blue Max. They were Strato blue, not Regency. Had Blue Luxus interiors and Luxus badges. The Vinyl roof was also blue. Other features were A/C and Sunroof.

Doens't take anything away from your Manta though. It has to be one of the best looking 73's I have seen in a long long time.

·
Opelizer
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for clarifying the car. The owner I bought it from called it a Blue MAx. I had never heard of one before so it was news to me. There is nothing that says blue max on it and I'm reasonably sure it's not a Luxus. No wood trim or A/C or sunroof or velour seats though I'm not sure the seats haven't been redone. I shot a bunch of interior photos this morning and should have them uploaded tonight.

Thanks for everyone's positive comments.

·
7,517 Posts
scrapman said:
Thanks for clarifying the car. The owner I bought it from called it a Blue MAx. I had never heard of one before so it was news to me. There is nothing that says blue max on it and I'm reasonably sure it's not a Luxus. No wood trim or A/C or sunroof or velour seats though I'm not sure the seats haven't been redone. I shot a bunch of interior photos this morning and should have them uploaded tonight.

Thanks for everyone's positive comments.
73' Mantas are my favorite and I really like Regency Blue. So the complements come easy.

Some think all Blue 73' Mantas with Vinyl roofs are Blue Max models. Which is not the case. All Blue Maxes were fully loaded, and everything was Blue on them. I have a B&W copy of the Blue Max ad. I have yet to find an original copy of the ad and will one day get one.

But again, that doesn't detract from the fact you have a very very nice Manta that I hope to see one day at a Opel meet ;)

·
135 Posts
As I recall, the blue max did have the blue max badging on their cars. I will look at some back issues of the blitz. I remember that someone had written about a blue max that he purchased. The Blue Max lettering was in a gothic type of lettering.
That said, to be truly a Blue Max, it would have to have the correct badging. This is a car I have only dreamt about, probably the rarest of all Opels in the US if you don't count every blue Manta you see.

·
7,517 Posts
The Badging is a sticker, that was to be installed by the dealer.

Not all dealers added them, and even then the sticker was weak at best and talking to a few original owners, they claimed thier fell off shortly after purchase. Possibly due to the dealer adding the sticker to the car AFTER it was detailed and waxed.

I hope to find some indication of a sticker or something on my Blue Max. The original seller said he had the Blue Max brouchure, etc.. and it why he knew it was a Blue Max. I am hoping to get that from him after I go and get the car.

I have the "image" of the decal, so reproducing it won't be a problem. Finding the correct location to put it is another subject I have yet to get the information on .

·
Opelizer
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the message. From what others are telling me on this post, it appears the former owner did not know it and I shouldn't have just taken his word for it. Either way, I am exstatic to have the car in the condition it is in. Gettng it this way off ebay was a million to one shot so I'm just going to baby it and keep it healthy for many years to come.

·
135 Posts
In case your interested, I did find the newletter that referred to the Blue Max. It is a 1995 issue of the Blitz. The guy who had picked up the Opel was long time opeler Greg Strejan. He did not refer to the badge as a sticker but did write that it was approximately 1 X 4 inches and was mounted above the front side indicator lights. If you can still contact him, he would probably be your best resource since he had owned one or still has it.

·
7,517 Posts
Thats great to know. Got his info? I know he is still around, he called me a few months ago. But I don't have his info.

Charles

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
GoinManta said:
Thats great to know. Got his info? I know he is still around, he called me a few months ago. But I don't have his info.

Charles
Try his home page: "Greg's Opel GT Page" at www.canby.com/strejan

I dealt with him some time ago via EBay and may be able to PM you his E-mail address if I can still find it.

BTW: He is doing a GT V6 transplant.

If you want to see something interesting on the web do a search with his name mis-spelled "Stregan"

·
7,517 Posts
Awesome.. thanks.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Charles, Just click on his Family Tree Logo and an E-mail box pops up!

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Knawing!

This is tickling my brain too as in the early days of my Opel ownership (about 2 years ago!) I vividly remember seeing a "Blue Max" Manta on a web site some where complete with the insignia which were the same blue as the car with gold Gothic letters. The only 'hit' I can come up with every resource at my finger tips is: www.geocities.com/computerthug/whoisit.html

The pics are on the web somewhere! Maybe it was on EBay and for sale at some time??? :confused:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts