Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed an engine I rebuilt a few months ago. Yesterday I started it and ran it for 30 -40 minutes .......mostly at 800 - 1500 rpm......briefly to 2000-2500 rpm and then shut it off. All seems smooth and quiet. My question is.....what are the next steps? Can I begin to drive it or are more idling and stationary breaking-in required? After I start driving it what are the general guidelines?

Also....do I need to immediately recheck the head bolts, adjust the valves or change the oil?

Any help appreciated.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Don't Idle it!

Running a fresh engine at idle is not a good ides as there is not enough oil being slung off the conrods to proprly oil the cylinder walls during the seating of the rings. It is far better to run it at 2,000 to 2,500 rpm while stationary.

Follow the piston ring manufacturers advice as most modern rings are designed to bed in within 20 to 30 minutes.

It seems to be better to run the car on the road and gently accelerate and decelerate holding the engine revs between 2,000 and 4,000 rpm and carefully watching for overheating.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.