Opel GT Forum banner
81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
Basics of hydraulic lifters

Funny how whenever I think I know what I'm doing, I sometimes realize I still don't know what I'm doing.

I've ran my engine for two separate 20min runs a week ago. I assumed the lifters would have pumped up by now. I was going to readjust them from scratch again but to my surprise, they still collapse or should I say compress . Should the engine be warmed up first?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 · (Edited)
Thanks Frozen. I just started it up and ran in all kinds of rpm ranges it till she was good and hot .(my buddy who owns a slightly moded RX8 couldn't believe how bad ass my car sounds!) Removed the valve cover. And they still compress when the lobe lifts the valve. So I guessing it's fine and I'll just readjust them re torque the head and call it done.

Reactions: pherrley

·
1,778 Posts
This is normal lifter action. You do not need to keep adjusting your lifters. HTH
John

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
One by one I loosened the rockers by 3/4 of a turned and checked for zero lash with my one thousand of an inch shim before resetting them back 3/4 tight. This way I could see if anything tightened or loosed compared the initial adjustment before the engine ran and the lifters filled with oil. Three or four rockers only needed 1/16 of a turn tighter while the rest were still dead on. So very little change. Also retorqued the head bolts to 72 ft lbs. Three needed a slight little nudge more to clic. So nothing bad there.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance.

Then my budy shows up with his smoken hot Red 1980 Corvette and Hands me the keys. Man those 383 strokers have alot of torque!

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well that blows, I'm with you in spirit man as I've been down a somewhat similar road myself and understand the pain of having to pull a freshly built engine
me too when i was 16 me and a friend rebuild an olds 350 for my cutlass it got all of 40 miles and died hard hope all works out i know im new to the opel gt front but glad to find a group like my old second gen civic group just glad you guys are all still here my sec gen honda guys all got newer hondas when they hit unoptaioum parts instead of make them (or make them fit) like me this summer is the summer of opel gt grinding and wrenching still not sure why they cut both wire looms behing drivers seat .... but i have degree in elctronics so atleast they will live again and not hopefully cost 1200 for wire looms each

·
Registered
31 Posts
this is the best way and only way to make sure u dont damage stuff
i also like to leave teh valve cover off and pour teh oil over the cam and lifters plus i soak the lifters and manually pump then before install as well but the drill is the best thing u see if u have oil to the top and that u have pressure so it doesnt start dry and die

81 - 90 of 90 Posts