1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
10,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Hmm, I think some moderating might be in order to move the EFI threads from the general Fuel System Forum to this new forum. Note to all you Moderators: This is a good chance (and a worthy one) to help out.
Good idea Gary. Thanks!

·
Opeler
65 Posts
This should be very helpful to us folks who are wanting to convert but are a bit ignorant of all the ins and outs of efi. Some of the jargon could be decoded for us too, like TB (throttle body?), etc. I know efi but spell out the rest, ok?
thanks for the thread, I've learned some stuff already!

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I got led astray doing the tb= throttle body VS tbi= throttle body injector. Same difference as multi port fuel injection VS throttle body injection. best way to say it is that multi port is one injector per intake right at the valve and throttle body is pretty much like a carb but fuel injected. Mass air sensor for the incoming air. TPS= throttle position switch to tell how much foot you have into it. Then a motor temp and incoming air temp to regulate the start injection VS run injection. Then an O2 to see how it actually burned the fuel and correct itself.

I'm in the same boat of learning all this with the problem of doing it while I learn.

Forgot about EFI VS FI EFI= electronic fuel injection and FI= mechanical fuel injection... pass me the Advil

·
Super Moderator
14,870 Posts
oklaopel said:
This should be very helpful to us folks who are wanting to convert but are a bit ignorant of all the ins and outs of efi. Some of the jargon could be decoded for us too, like TB (throttle body?), etc. I know efi but spell out the rest, ok?
thanks for the thread, I've learned some stuff already!
Some of the basics:

EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection
ECU - Electronic Control Unit
TPS - Throttle Position Sensor
MAF - Mass Air Flow meter (not applicable to Opels though)
AFM - Air Flow Meter (flap-style meter as used on Opel L-Jetronic EFI)
TB - Throttle Body
MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor
FPR - Fuel Pressure Regulator

HTH,
Bob

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Care Free Opel

For those considering an upgrade to F/I (or purchasing a 75)...allow me to reiterate what Otto often says. Adding Pertronix ignition to a 75 Opel...gives you the closest thing you'll ever find to a maintenance free Opel. The early F/I systems were largely bullet proof and the major components rarely fail if they aren't tinkered with. (MAF,TPS, Brain Box, etc.) I would say the electric fuel pump was the most common OEM part failure and replacements are readily available. Add a Pertronix kit to get rid of the points...and you're pretty much reduced to oil changes, routine lubrication, tire and brake maintenance. I presently have five Opels and only one is carburetted. I'm a big F/I fan!! Thanks for the new Forum!!!! -SD

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
now that everybody is warming up to fuel injection I've been looking into something that I've been hitting a wall on. What was an injector 17100262 off of and a fuel rate or needed pressure would be too sweet.

·
Super Moderator
14,870 Posts
nobody said:
now that everybody is warming up to fuel injection I've been looking into something that I've been hitting a wall on. What was an injector 17100262 off of and a fuel rate or needed pressure would be too sweet.
If you can find out the brand you have, this list may help you:

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm

For most turbo applications, figure a BSFC of about .6, and this can give you an idea of the maximum hp a certain injector can feed a cylinder. I probably wouldn't run fuel pressure much higher than 50-52 psi, after that hoses and connections can get 'iffy' and the danger of fire from leaking high pressure fuel becomes a bit too real. I just ordered a set of 65 lb hr injectors for the turbo Manta to feed the new, bigger turbo. Just to give you an idea.

Bob

·
648 Posts
Fi 101

For those interested in learning more about the basics of FI go to TGSI (Bob Dennard's) web site:

http://www.tgsi.com

then go to thre bottom of the page and click on "FI University"
It will take you to a page with links to FI 101 and 102

Very informative for us novices.

james

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
the name brand that I have found for it is Multec. I tried crossing it on the web and locally and the only other number I got was CRB218646 from Napa. Autozone said they were a new model and had no listing and Checker lists them at 120 each.

·
Opeler
65 Posts
I've been to the site and the efi info is good and free, but be careful. I sent tgsi 200.00 last January via paypal for an electric fan kit he has advertised on his website. he took the money, but to date I have not received the kit, a refund or boo. I've emailed him several times to no avail. So take the free information and leave the rest.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.