Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi I am currently making/creating some gt flares.
I would like feedback good and bad and your idea may be reflected in the end result.
I am rebuilding my gt it is an orphan in Australia and I intend to mock up the flares pull a mould and make my parts.

I plan on running 265/50/15 rear and 225/50/15 front
the car has been lowered 2" and is rhd
and to date I have trimmed about an inch round each wheel arch.
the starting point for the mock up is 24oz Nissan flares which I heated and mounted while flexable.(it is surprising the difference between the flares I bought 1 side to the other.

both front and back flares looked better on the left side straight away.

Now is the time to change things that's why I ask for suggestions as the massaging starts

Thanks

Attachments

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,879 Posts
In my opinion and a number of others, flared wheel wells, without ground effects/side skirts and that don't come straight down, look funny especially from behind on a GT. Like a fat goose. Even with fat tires. Here's a pic of my car with Steinmetz flares:

Motor vehicle Red Vehicle Car Automotive exterior

I don't like it and will be adding mudflaps.

Red Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design Automotive tail & brake light

If there was a body kit part that stuck straight down and mimiced mudflaps, I would have added them. I had a GT in the 80's and 90's with the Mirage body kit that had mud flap-like extrusions that you molded in that performed well and were VERY attractive. The kit did not flare the tops of the wheel wells, it just flared the bottoms of the front and rear wheel wells, front and rear. Currently available air dams and side skirts take care of 3 of the 4 wheel well aspects, but the available items to extend downwards the rear of the rear wheels are woefully lacking compared to the ones I had. My only pic of that kit:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle White

In my opinion, wheel well flares on almost any car look silly unless they come straight down and form a mudflap effect, front and rear. GT's throw up a lot of mud on the lower rear of their quarter panels and it gets worse the wider your tires are.

Here's some pics of some mud flap-like extrusions that some guy modded onto his car. The look of the flare behind the rear wheels is the closest I've seen to what my old car used to have.:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle White
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Sports car

We all wish our cars looked like this:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Coupé

Food for thought......

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
In my opinion and a number of others, flared wheel wells, without ground effects/side skirts and that don't come straight down, look funny especially from behind on a GT. Like a fat goose. Even with fat tires.
...and some of us are in the other camp, less is more and you do what you have to do to cover up your wide tires and that's it.

Personally I'm not a fan of flared arches at all but form follows function and when I look at PJ Romano's car it's difficult to argue against them but personally I would gone with something along the lines of that the thread starter is doing

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,879 Posts
Here's few pics of some Porsches with flares that go all the way down and a red Pontiac Solstice Coupe, just like I have, with them......:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Regularity rally Automotive design
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pontiac solstice Sports car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pontiac solstice Motor vehicle

3,721 Posts
In my opinion and a number of others, flared wheel wells, without ground effects/side skirts and that don't come straight down, look funny especially from behind on a GT. Like a fat goose.
Strong statement Gordon. Not sure if Mr. Steinmetz and Mr. Conrero would agree with you.

Here are random pics of some of the most beautiful GTs around. No side skirts and certainly no mud flaps. But...to everybody its own.

Attachments

4,231 Posts
Strong statement Gordon. Not sure if Mr. Steinmetz and Mr. Conrero would agree with you.

Here are random pics of some of the most beautiful GTs around. No side skirts and certainly no mud flaps. But...to everybody its own.

Only VW-Beetles have this side skirts from factory!:haha::banana:

:thinking: Okay! San Francisco cable cars use them also!:p

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok all good I think I will go straight down about 1/3 over the rear of the back tyre and from the side a tighter radius round the tyre at the front of the rear tyre and and extend the arch slightly to the rear.
whats the over all thoughts about side skirts I want it to look 69/70 era still.
I am not running a front or rear spoiler but may increase the lip at the back.
give me a week and I will post some new pics

thanks

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,879 Posts
Yes, they're flowing nicely.

There aren't many choices for side skirts, only two: Ones for the Steinmetz flares and the Lenk ones. TRecently made ones seem to fit poorly and they sometimes need to be chopped into several sections and large sections removed from the "shark fins" that stick up behind the front wheels to make them fit easier. NOW is the time to make a decision about getting them, so that you can blend them into your flares.

Some guys have made their own out of steel, incorporated them into the stiffness of the body, and used them to replace rusted rocker panels.

Side pipes look very good, but often don't sound good, they hit the ground, and you burn your leg getting out of the car. Some guys only hook up the exhaust to the passenger side side pipe, and the driver's side one is just for show, for this reason.

Holy Cow, do you live in the jungle?!!! Tell us about where you live. How is that terrible drought that you Ozzies have been going through been going? I guess there aren't many Opel GT's in Australia, have you seen any others? Tell us more, more, more....

:veryhappy

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad you like the line of the wheel arch I still have to do the rear and get them to a state I like and can make moulds. I want to make it all good enough to sell that's why I am seeking advice at each stage but if I like it in the end I am sure others will have similar taste or lack there of.

change of subject some pics of home used to breed goats the old grey one is 15 an has one tooth but still seems happy
It has been drought over 15years of the 25 I have lived year, it goes hard dry dirt to grass 5 feet high in the wet of summer storms.

Its a bit over grown now but this is home also a pic of the engine that is going in the gt.

Attachments

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,879 Posts
I would love to visit Australia. I really liked that show that we used to get over here that featured some guy who would walk around and drop his hat on snakes. Every episode he would drop his hat on snakes to be able to pick them up.

Is that why your house is on stilts? So the snakes can't get in? :veryhappy

That's a real nice entry way to your house there. It all looks very peaceful.

What are those other cars we see?

Which corner of the country are you in?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Although the flares were purchased as I said they are all different and the right hand rear always looked to cover the wheel more and the line went up against the flow of the body line and the left swept down with the line.

I made a simple pattern a piece of paper cut like a fish bone taped on the left flare a tapped the cuts to hold contour. then turned it inside out and moved it to the right side the pics show to difference and the reason each side had a different look.

The house (built 1905) is on "stumps" it is whats called a Queenslander it allows air under the house and combined with 12 foot high ceilings and covered verandas (decks) keeps the home cool in sub-tropical and tropical Queensland. my place hase had extensions in the 30s 70s and 90s. it started 2bed room and is now 5. in 2 bed room form the where known as a shot gun cabin with all doors ope you could fire a shot gun through the house, another design feature to help cooling.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Shot gun cabin .... love it

If I ever go to live in Australia I won't be buying an Opel though but one of it's cousins, I've always wanted an HSV Holden Commodore and then I'd pretend to be Larry Perkins.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gordon has got me thinking about side skirts but I think I will fit polished rocker moulds and may be modify the ends to flow into the flares.

I cut the excess from the right hand rear flare today and it already looks a match to the left side. Have to decide if I like it enough, or if other sting changes ate need.

I am going to reproduce the curved edge of the Z flares and was taking to a fiberglasser about my concern about consistency of shape.
He suggested putting tape and wax on a edge I like, rap bog in cling wrap and make a custom sanding block to run round the flares to create a consistent curve.

I am open to other methods but it makes sense to me.

I am also filling a hole in the roof from a 70s misfitting sunroof, but feel I should start an other thread for that but so far so good.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,879 Posts
I'm not really a stickler for the side skirts, I'm just a big advocate of wheel arches and flares that go all the way down and prevent the mud spray down the side of the car. If I had a car with healthy rocker panels and wheel flares that formed that mudflap function, then I wouldn't need the side skirts. But for some reason our currently available wheel flares lack this highly functional behind the wheel feature. A lot of guys who have the Steinmetz flares have had to buy the side skirts in order to get this feature on the front wheels, then chop off the rear "shark fin" because the Steinmetz flares are already flared at the front of the arches. I did the same thing. I actually don't give a fig about the actual side skirt part, they're just along for the ride.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Side skirts

Gordon has got me thinking about side skirts but I think I will fit polished rocker moulds and may be modify the ends to flow into the flares.

I go to the pull it yourself auto salvage yard often and keep looking for an option for side skirts. I have seen them on cars on the road, but just not on the wrecked ones as of yet. There are cars with a type of side skirts like those that I believe GT Freak may have on his. As soon as I can find a set, I'll post. Almost all that I've seen so far will have to be shortened somewhat. I think Todd sells separate fender flares, but not sure of price.

Attachments

·
Registered
708 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hope everyone has enjoyed chrissy.
I bought myself a present chrissy eve 2 simmons wheels a some spare rim outers.
I mostly wanted 2 outers advertised as 90mm wide and despite checking for cracks and warps I only realized when I got home 1 was 3inch and the other 3 1/2 inch. and not having a pair meant I may have waisted my $400.

So I started thinking Outside the box

I moved the centre of an existing rear wheel to the other side reversing the off set ad it is stop on for outer flare clearance. and on the front about 1/2 inch too wide.

So the question is can I use 2 inners to build a rim if so I will use my inners as outers and the inners from the wheels I bought as my new inners.

So I will build a rim and see if it works and if it does I will drill a hole for a tyre valve and polish the new outers and that will bee rear wheels done. 10 inch wide

1 - 20 of 30 Posts