Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Custom Flares

Thanks for the pics Alex! Any new updated pics? Do you have a view of the front wheel well from front bumper looking toward the rear?

Thanks Neil

·
Registered
183 Posts
In my opinion and a number of others, flared wheel wells, without ground effects/side skirts and that don't come straight down, look funny especially from behind on a GT. Like a fat goose. Even with fat tires. Here's a pic of my car with Steinmetz flares:

I don't like it and will be adding mudflaps.
See the LT11 (wide body) and LT12 (regular body) Rear skirts from Lenk in Germany:

LT11: opel gt bild 3034
LT12: opel gt bild 3035

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I will take some more pics this weekend they have grown a bit in the intrest of fitting mild to wide tyre choices and matching the body lines i dont think 245 35 15 would be out of the question but i was going to run 265 50 15 but nothing is set in stone.
thanks for the interest all feed back is considered.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The front wheel is -36 offset with a 225 50 15 on it and it is my test for flare clearance i will run much closer to 0 offset which will fit inside the flare and have plenty of clearance. the rear i use a 335 35 17 as a test to ensure any tyre i choose will fit

Attachments

·
1,749 Posts
Your flares look good. I did mine and brought them down to protect body from rocks & etc.. You will be happy with your flares using the wider tires.
John

Attachments

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,879 Posts
John, your extended downwards flares get the coveted........

Actually, your whole car deserves The Seal, here's another one I had laying around:

:yup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
...and some of us are in the other camp, less is more and you do what you have to do to cover up your wide tires and that's it.

Personally I'm not a fan of flared arches at all but form follows function and when I look at PJ Romano's car it's difficult to argue against them but personally I would gone with something along the lines of that the thread starter is doing
Hello, I live in the Southeast US and have a 2009 GXP Coupe w/430 crank HP, 385 to the wheels. I'm running 285/30/20s on the rear and they're dead flush with the wheel wells. No need for flares if you have the correct offset.
hi I am currently making/creating some gt flares.
I would like feedback good and bad and your idea may be reflected in the end result.
I am rebuilding my gt it is an orphan in Australia and I intend to mock up the flares pull a mould and make my parts.

I plan on running 265/50/15 rear and 225/50/15 front
the car has been lowered 2" and is rhd
and to date I have trimmed about an inch round each wheel arch.
the starting point for the mock up is 24oz Nissan flares which I heated and mounted while flexable.(it is surprising the difference between the flares I bought 1 side to the other.

both front and back flares looked better on the left side straight away.

Now is the time to change things that's why I ask for suggestions as the massaging starts

Thanks
Hello,

I live in the SE US and have a 2009 GXP Coupe with 430 crank HP (385 to the wheels) and I'm running 285/30/20's on the rear which are dead flush with the fender wells. If you have the correct wheel offset they work just fine. That said, if anyone develops a nice set of flares, I'd definitely be interested.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,068 Posts
Hello,
I live in the SE US and have a 2009 GXP Coupe with 430 crank HP (385 to the wheels) and I'm running 285/30/20's on the rear which are dead flush with the fender wells. If you have the correct wheel offset they work just fine.
MODERATOR NOTE:
Umm, welcome! That said, this Forum relates to old Opels, not so much to 21st Century ones (such as the Saturn Sky badged as an Opel GT. And this particular thread is nearly 6 years old, so not really current.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts