Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone cares to know I am going to go buy a new GT tommorow, I am making a trip from Ohio to Alabama and towing the car home tommorow night.
It is a 71 I believe, is Yellow, has a trailer Hitch, A/C (lower less obstructive version) and ........thank the lord.........NO RUST, the interior is also really nice, I will post pictures of it when I get home on wednesday.
So if anyone is on I-65 tommorow and sees a blue and white van pulling a GT, well thats me!

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
oh and just cause I am excited to get it I will tell you all what my plans are with it.

1. Sand body to bare metal, and paint black.

2. Build Leagre 2.4L motor w/torquer intake, Holley 500 carb.

3. Recover the seats in Leather, or use miata, corvette, recaro ect.

4. install a set of TSW snyper rims

5. Install 2" lowering springs all around

6. Install Sway bars and new bushings all around

7. Put Impulse rear discs on.

8. Save $$$ for GETRAG!

9. Install Stereo

10. Drive!

I have a garage at the house I am renting next year at purdue, so I will actually be able to work on cars again.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
best of luck with your new toy!!!! if you were heading down the 2nd week of next month i'd see ya!!!!

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i have a 72 GT with a tow bar set up if thats what you talkin about. i dont need it

·
257 Posts
Chris,

You also forgot No. 12. Stop by Kentucky to see Stanley and tell me how you find all your Opels.....I will be looking for another as soon as my house is built.

Thanks,
Stanley_P

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pictures are in the gallery

I really don't need the tow bar, but I do need a good set of bumpers.........

Stanley, where are you located in Kentucky?
I am continuously looking for them, I found this one two years ago when I was working in Alabama, and have been waiting all this time to get a chance to go and get it. The guy I got it from actually has about 5 other GTs (3 with A/C, one a 1.1L)that are in better unrestored shape than this one, no rust at all, but he doesn't want to part with any of those, I got the worst of the bunch but it is still 1000X better than anyting you find in the north.......

I got in at about 4am last night, and I put some pictures of it in the gallery, one thing that I forgot that it had was an original crack free dash!
The A/C consol is also not cracked so next fall when I am restoring it I am going to make some fiberglass molds for whoever wants to install A/C.

·
257 Posts
I'm in Versailles, KY approx. 15 miles out of Lexington, KY. I have not seen another GT in or around here for some time. I would like to find an all original Yellow or Green color GT w/ A/C and 1.9L engine. They seem to be really rare....Your new yellow GT looks great....(just what I was looking for) It seem to have all the original parts. The dash and console looks NEW.

Good luck...
Stanley P

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are only about an hour south of me, I think I remember I was going to go look at that GT that you bought in KY but it was already sold.....
I remember just a few weeks ago there was an add on here for a green GT with A/C in Texas, I wonder if that got sold?

The consol is actually very faded when you see it in person, I am guessing that it is also brittle, and though it doesnt have any cracks, I am not going to take any chances, like I said I am going to make a fiberglass mold of it so that I don't have to worry about it cracking, and so that others can retrofit A/C into their car.
I'm actually suprised that the dash isn't cracked, the car was sitting outside for the last 15 years in the Alabama sun.

·
240 Posts
That must be the ARA A/C console. MUCH nicer looking than the GM one. A/C is on my list of modifications I'd like to do. I'm sure many others would want a fiberglass reproduction.

Maybe you could also give us some detail on the compressor mounting brackets ? Is the pulley shared with the altenator and water pump ?

Garry

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah the guy I got it from had one with the GM A/C consol and it looks a lot bigger in person. That thing was HUGE.

The compressor runns off of the crankshaft with it's own belt, it has a special bottom pulley that has a place for two belts, one for the alt/water pump, and one for the compressor.

The compressor is mounted in front of the carb on the ARA setup, I wish it was on the other side though, it kind of gets in the way of me installing fuel injection ever.

I will take some pictures of it and post them in a little bit.

·
Administrator
10,290 Posts

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
I really don't need the tow bar, but I do need a good set of bumpers.........

quote from opelgt73.

what bumpers do you need? i have 2 or 3 sets of rear bumperettes and i have one front bumper. i've sold all of the front lower bumperettes.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats ok I probly won't start looking for a bumpers till the fall, or I may go all out and have them re-chromed.
Does anyone know how much that costs?

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
unless you know somebody in the business like we used to(until his shop shut down) its pretty high up there in the price. not sure exactly what but its expensive. they say as a general rule of thumb that if your piece isnt beat up, its about the same to buy reproduction pieces as to have your origional piece redone.

·
Administrator
10,290 Posts
opelgt73 said:
Thats ok I probly won't start looking for a bumpers till the fall, or I may go all out and have them re-chromed.
Does anyone know how much that costs?
~$220 -$250 for the GT front bumper at Nu-chrome - www.nu-chrome.com- They have a sketch of the bumper shape.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok that't about what I thought it would be,

I need to see how my bumper fits before I send it off to be re-chromed, I don't what to get a re-chromed bumper only to have it bend when I install it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts