Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks newbie here. Just bought a 72 automatic, and a bunch of parts. Runs, but no brakes, or lights. Will need help with interior parts, and tech info, so thanks in advance. I’ll post pics of it as soon as I figure out how.

·
Über Genius
9,801 Posts
Hi folks newbie here. Just bought a 72 automatic, and a bunch of parts. Runs, but no brakes, or lights. Will need help with interior parts, and tech info, so thanks in advance. I’ll post pics of it as soon as I figure out how.
You bought the one on Ebay, right?
Where do you live?

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Über Genius
9,801 Posts
Welcome to the madness! It is possible by the way to convert your car to a manual trans.
If he does, I have dibs on his automagic. :cool:

·
Über Genius
9,801 Posts
I know where it "was".
It's white, has a red drivers seat but the rest of the interior is white. It runs but not drivable due to bad brakes and lights. We can tell you what to fix, how long it should take and even give you advice on where to get parts, whether new or used.
I was holding myself back from buying it. I'm in Portland.
Patting myself on the back, I'm one of few Opel GT experts in the PNW. I've been playing with them for a little over 40 years, as my moniker implies.
I asked where you are before I offered help. Gas isn't cheap so there's only so far I'm willing to go.

And, the transmission probably isn't bad. But if you want it rebuilt, there's nothing special about it. Any auto trans shop should be able to handle it.

·
Vendor
3,352 Posts
Welcome to the community, and congratulations on your purchase. If it is the same car in this thread, you got a great deal. Were you able to do a thorough inspection for rust yet? A good rust-free body is often the difference between a restorable GT and a parts car. Post some more pics and let us know what you have in mind for the car.
Cheers,
Ron in FL

·
Opeler
739 Posts
The automatic in your GT is a Turbo hydramatic 180. These are common transmissions that were used in a lot of European and Asian cars along with some GM's. You shouldn't have an issue finding a shop to rebuild it, they are pretty basic.

Good luck with your project.

-David

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
551 Posts
Peter- Welcome aboard. Drive Train, Brakes, Electrics are all available for our cars. Body parts and repair can be the difficult part to repair or replace. Protect the body, overnight park the car in a garage.

·
1,919 Posts
I had mine rebuilt in 2010 by some local guys who had experience on older trans. Cost about $1200. Should be good now for another 40 years. One piece of advice, Replace the rear seal on the motor if you do this.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,476 Posts
It was in Cottage Grove Oregon, I’m absolutely leaving it automagic, ( no clutch leg). Is there a shop that rebuilds these automatics that anybody has used.
I'm a big fan of the GT automatics and have had them in my GT's for 40 years. They are basically indestructible and never need rebuilding. After all these years they DO leak and you need to do some very simple to do seal and gasket replacement. "Simple" meaning that you have the ability to drop the engine/tranny. Your one leg might make that a challenge. You're not alone, several members have missing legs, no right arm, or bad left knees that cause them to require an auto.

You have to embrace doing most repairs on these cars yourself, you'll go broke paying people to do the work. For the most part they are about as complicated as a lawnmower. This site has 1000's of discussions on how to do EVERY single thing you would want to do or fix on these cars. Use the search box and try to search for just 3 words, like: "Auto Tranny Rebuilding".

·
Registered
The Young One
1,209 Posts
Congrats on your GT. That was a good deal! I have an auto in my 1969 GT. They leak a bunch. I would change the filter and the trans dipstick tube o ring. I did that but it still leaks. I am probably going to do a 4 speed swap in the future. Just make sure you have enought fluid in the trans. OpelgtSource is a good source of parts and the make almost every part.

Good Luck, Sam

·
Registered
764 Posts
You may have just gotten the deal of the century on a GT if it is the Yellow Ebay car.
Congrats.
Easy to work on. Like Gordo said, the auto trans may just need to be resealed. They tend to last a LOOOONG time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Howdy from Oklahoma, I'm a newbie of sorts myself. The 70 GT I recently acquired makes my fourth one. I have always enjoyed driving the little car and its been awhile since my last one. Get to know Gil at Opel GT Source for parts and I have found folks on here are very helpful even with the dumbest questions.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Still searching for one Appliance Industries aluminum slotted mag wheel. I should be picking up my chrome parts on Tuesday and will drop in on the boys who had three of the wheels and four center caps. Hopefully they have found number four.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts