Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New here, probably should've joined a lot sooner. Planning to buy a GT. Don't know much about cars but keen to learn a bit. I like the GT looks and I've read that older cars are usually more easy on the technical front. Also since the GT is basically a Kadett with a facelift as I understand I hope that if anything needs replacement there's still plenty of spare parts around in these parts.
Would love to hear if I'm making a mistake though by buying one of these without much knowledge about car building/repairing and maintenance.
(The one I'm looking to get is in okay condition. Has some wear and tear due to age but other than that it's apparently quite alright if I can trust the seller.)

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
339 Posts
Grapes- Welcome aboard! If you are familiar with the Kadett you should fine with understanding a GT. Like most cars from this time period, rust is an issue. Please check with your local reputable automotive body shop, or knowledgeable person if you do not feel comfortable with your own rust detection skills. Rust kills GTs.
I think Suselbeek should have most of the parts you will need to maintain a GT. Home page - Suselbeek Opel GT Parts Shop
Good luck on your up coming purchase/ project.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Nope not familliar with the Kadett at all. The current owner did a restoration and "says" the rust is taken care of. Will probably ask the seller if I can take it to a local garage for a pre sale check-up. My only DIY knowledge on cars at this point is checking fuel levels, changing tires and replacing an exhaust on my old Polo N6 so... I'm not really a gearhead just yet ;)

Thanks for the link I'm sure that will become very useful in the near future! :D (Wow they're even just a 30 minute drive away from me! :oops:)

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
339 Posts
If you can change an exhaust on a VW you should be able to handle a GT. They are fairly easy to maintain if you keep things in perspective and remember to enjoy the Opel hobby. Like with all new challenges/ puzzles there will be difficulties, you will need patience, diligence and a good beer refrigerator in your garage.
These guys at OpelGTSource in California have some Tech Tips that maybe helpful to new owners Opel GT Source

·
Registered
171 Posts
Welcome aboard Grapes and good luck with your purchase and with what will become an on going project depending on just how deep you want to go down the rabbit hole. The advice above from Okieopel, is right on, and you will learn a lot about cars and how to fix them. This forum is a gold mine of great people and great information to help you over come the issues as they pop up and they will. For example, I have or had very little experience with car repair but decided to do a ground up restoration which I estimated would take about a year - well I started around 1994 and still have not finished, hence my stage name, Will I. Finish. I purchase a 2 year old 1970 GT in 1972 and the car is in the final stages of completion with the only thing that I do not plan to rebuilt, the suspension - or maybe I will. Almost everything else is done. Again I have learned a lot and had a lot of help from a lot of very smart people. In addition to to this Forum you will redoubtably be purchasing parts from OGTS and you will find Gil Wesson a wealth of knowledge and information in addition to this forum. So again Good Luck - once an Opel gets into your blood its there for life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I think I'll start with actually buying one. Next will probably be keeping it running and making it look clean. Then maybe some visual customisation. and by that time I'll probably want more :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Oof well that was a terrifying experience... :( (had a test drive today with a car I had my eye on for a good while)
Granted I haven't driven in a car this old before but it didn't feel right at all. I'll try a good one one of these days to compare because I still love the looks and I'm really curious if it's mostly just age or if it was this car in particular. For the moment I guess my search will be on hold :/

·
Opeler
914 Posts
Oof well that was a terrifying experience... :( (had a test drive today with a car I had my eye on for a good while)
Granted I haven't driven in a car this old before but it didn't feel right at all. I'll try a good one one of these days to compare because I still love the looks and I'm really curious if it's mostly just age or if it was this car in particular. For the moment I guess my search will be on hold :/
What didn’t feel right about it? We could probably tell you if it’s “normal” or not

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it started with quite a lot of exhaust smell entering the cockpit, braking wasn't just normally heavy as the other old cars that we driven it just wouldn't stop in a safe distance. Combined with the fact that none of the previous owners had bothered installing something like a seatbelt, it didn't feel like a car I would like to drive long distances with through modern traffic. I went with a friend who driven a lot of old former soviet cars like the GAZ Volga and Lada Nivas so he's got some more low tech experience than me (oldest I remember driving is a MK1 Golf which was probably 10 years younger than the GT. He said he rather drive one of the old Ladas than this particular car.
The aligning was all off, it pulled heavily to one side and brakes where off as well as it jumped in the opposite direction that it pulled when you really slammed the brakes. There was some air whistling when you approached higher RPMs and there was something not right with the rear suspension.
All in all not quite what I expected. From the sellers description I was expecting something that mostly needed a lot of cosmetic repairs (new interior and some exterior polishings possibly some rubbers) but not something that would theoretically drive but which would need a mechanical tune-up straight away.
(To be fair it was a sub 10k asking price where most examples that are advertised as good condition start at around 12k over here.)

Somewhere under all this it did feel like there was some real beauty under there which is also a reason I'd like to try one that's good, just so I know that I'm not completely wrong about this.

·
Opeler
914 Posts
Well it started with quite a lot of exhaust smell entering the cockpit, braking wasn't just normally heavy as the other old cars that we driven it just wouldn't stop in a safe distance. Combined with the fact that none of the previous owners had bothered installing something like a seatbelt, it didn't feel like a car I would like to drive long distances with through modern traffic. I went with a friend who driven a lot of old former soviet cars like the GAZ Volga and Lada Nivas so he's got some more low tech experience than me (oldest I remember driving is a MK1 Golf which was probably 10 years younger than the GT. He said he rather drive one of the old Ladas than this particular car.
The aligning was all off, it pulled heavily to one side and brakes where off as well as it jumped in the opposite direction that it pulled when you really slammed the brakes. There was some air whistling when you approached higher RPMs and there was something not right with the rear suspension.
All in all not quite what I expected. From the sellers description I was expecting something that mostly needed a lot of cosmetic repairs (new interior and some exterior polishings possibly some rubbers) but not something that would theoretically drive but which would need a mechanical tune-up straight away.
(To be fair it was a sub 10k asking price where most examples that are advertised as good condition start at around 12k over here.)

Somewhere under all this it did feel like there was some real beauty under there which is also a reason I'd like to try one that's good, just so I know that I'm not completely wrong about this.
You’re not wrong at all, it sounds like the car isn’t in good shape. When taken care of and all is working right, these cars drive smooth, turn easily and stop well. Much like anything, if it isn’t in too shape, it won’t be a good experience. Stay on the hunt!

·
Can Opeler
3,320 Posts
You’re not wrong at all, it sounds like the car isn’t in good shape. When taken care of and all is working right, these cars drive smooth, turn easily and stop well. Much like anything, if it isn’t in too shape, it won’t be a good experience. Stay on the hunt!
That’s not necessarily true. Leave a GT sitting for a year or two and it ain’t going to be too happy. I think most of his problems would be alleviated with one day of wrenching, bleeding brakes, installing some good used seatbelts since the PO removed the originals, and checking suspension components.

Then a trip to the exhaust shop, alignment and tires. Alignment and tires are always a necessity when buying a classic. The car probably needs new outer tie rods too. An easy job for the alignment shop.

·
Opeler
914 Posts
That’s not necessarily true. Leave a GT sitting for a year or two and it ain’t going to be too happy. I think most of his problems would be alleviated with one day of wrenching, bleeding brakes, installing some good used seatbelts since the PO removed the originals, and checking suspension components.

Then a trip to the exhaust shop, alignment and tires.
Alignment and tires are always a necessity when buying a classic. The car probably needs new outer tie rods too. An easy job for the alignment shop.
I’m not trying to get in to anything here, but if a car needs all this, it may not be in great shape currently. You mentioned 7 things real quick, just saying. Plus, he’s asking if his experience in a GT was normal. And without pictures, it’s a total crapshoot.

Proceed with caution Grapes and find a good one. Like Kyler is saying, anything can be improved if you’ve got the time and skills, which Kyler does.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys :) I definitely think this wasn't a hard to fix thing but still it didn't feel right for me at this moment. I'll keep on the lookout but that also means I can save up a little or buy something else in the mean time until I do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts