Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a '69 Opel GT that I've had since I was about 17. Now, 8 years later, I'm getting interested in restoring it. Well, not restoring it to original spec. But to a nice drivable car.

What are typical mods and/or changes that are made to stock GT's now?

Also, what are some good books or manuals to get about the GT's?

Thanks!

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
Isle,

Welcome!

I'm in the KC area and you'll find there are several members here that surround you from St. Louis to out past where I'm at.

Check out some of the prior threads and posts. There is a wealth of information listed in the posts here.

Also, check out Hemmings at:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/oana/

The Tech area has a lot of information also.

And check out Opel GT Source at:
http:www.opelgtsource.com

My GT has a body kit from OGTS along with Fuel Injection, sway bars, and other goodies. But there are others people that like to retain the stock look of the GT.

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey houserc,

I lived up in Grandview for a few years while going to college (1st time through college) in KC.

My basic plan right now (I haven't pulled the car into the garage and really looked at it yet) is to:
Overhaul the engine
Fuel injection (if possible)
Shocks
Interior needs a lot of work
Go through the transmission (manual)
Maybe modify the headlights or add a motor
Body work (not a lot, but I haven't checked it over for rust yet)
Paint.

I don't have much money. I planning on working on it with my father, so hopefully he can help me out in that department. But I definitely need to fix it up with out spending a lot of money.

Who or where are some good parts suppliers (preferrably cheap or used)?

Any engine modifications to help with horsepower? (you always need more horsepower :D)

thanks!

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
Were you attending Longview?

eBay always has some good listings for parts.

Get a couple of catalogs from various places, like Opel GT Source, to see what is available and for what.

There are several members here that sell stuff, so you might want want to just post a question for a part when you need one.

Again, check out some of the prior posts for modifications that people have done. There are some really good tips, techniques, and ideas for the gathering.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts