Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this has been discussed before regarding getting a stronger rear-end for our cars. Many makes of autos have been talked about but what about compact pickup trucks? Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, etc all make rear wheel drive trucks. Would any of these offer a solution for us Opel owners? There are bound to be many of these in the local boneyards. What do you all think?

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
Jeff;
I don't know if it was here, on this site, but, may be Classic Opels on Yahoo, someone took the rear end out of a Toyota truck, I don't know the year or model. But, needless to say he did a ton of work just to get it to work.

·
299 Posts
well i dk about you guys but im gonna use a rear end out of a monza 2+2 it will be the easiest to change over because it has a torque arm and control arm mounts so its an easy swap

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Josh, you got my curiosity up. What year monza are you planning to use? I've got a 75 monza with a factory 350/350 in it and it does not have a torque arm, it has a full length drive shaft.

Ron

·
Registered
149 Posts
Monzas have both, full length drive shaft and torque arm. The arm bolts to the driver's side of the axle housing with a single huge bolt. And to a bracket that bolts to the tranny tailshaft using a huge rubber bushing. No wheel hop in these babies. The torque arm is a very large cast angle. Sometimes, the bottom of the angle cracks at the rear bolt hole.

I know this peice very very well. The big bolt takes like 200 ft-lb to remove. I was under the car (car on concrete blocks) using a cheater the size of KS on a wrench and my feet braced for extra umph. The wrench slipped. My fist split a concrete block, likewise for my fist. It was January and very cold. I thought to myself, this is going to hurt when I thaw out. The blood started oozing thru the glove. My brother laughed uncontrollable, "That's going to hurt." I said, "It already does." After performing some magic bandaid surgey I removed the bolt and thru to block in the trash. Glad I didn't hit the web area.

I miss the little V8 car. It was great off the line. Lots of torque in a light car.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
O.K. you're talking about the I-Beam that does go from the differential to the tranny. There's one thing that I'm curious about on the monza though. According to all the documentation I've seen, the only monzas to have the 350 were the 75s and only those slated to go to CA because of the emission standards, the other v-8s, 302/305 couldn't pass CAs strict standards at the time, so they stuffed in the 350 because it passed. I do know, my car has a whole lot of extra steel welded in places and extra steel plates added to keep the body from twisting under acceleration or hard throttle application. And it is hard to work on for simple tune-ups, like jack up the engine to change the spark plugs and change the starter, plus a few other things. But I wouldn't get rid of this car, as soon as my GT is done, it is next for a complete restoration and engine upgrade too.

Ron

·
Registered
149 Posts
Q:Only monzas to have the 350 were the 75s?
A: Yes.

Q: CA because of the emission standards?
A: Yes.

Q: Other v-8s, 262/305 couldn't pass CAs strict standards at the time?
A: Kinda. GM didn't get the testing done in time and this is a small market car. The 350 was already tested for CA. Sometimes CA is lucky. This was the first year for many emissions upgrades nationwide, including cats and unleaded fuel only.

V8 bodies are heavily reinforced and have suspension upgrades. There's also a huge difference between manual and auto bodies. I swapped back and forth (4-speed, powerglide, 350). It's pretty hard (requires home made parts). I used a modified 67 Mustang shifter for auto and Hurst C+ for stick. The floor board, tunnel and firewall are different.

For tune ups I'd raise the nose with a bumper jack (which I stored to under the hood so I could have speakers in the back panel). I'd loosen the motor mounts and place a piece of RR tie under the oil pan. Then lower the car and the engine stays up.

75 is the best and the worst. Worst is the brakes and clutch (9"). Styling is better. And they offered a suspension upgrade for V8 models, which could be bought separately. After this year to get the better stuff you had to buy a Spider.

I owned mine 78-88. It had more miles on it than Paris Hilton (oops). I did a lot with it. Lots of wheel/tire combos. Lots of engine builds. Racing. Custom made wheel flares, spoiler and skirts. Must have replaced door bushings 8 times. For a long time I had it riding like a brick - could circle a small cul-da-sac at 35+ mph, no squeal (drive in/out and not change speed). It ran over 100 mph weekly for years. Finally, I sold it because of weak body seams and age. Just wasn't the same old car.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Man, this is really off subject, talking monzas on the Opel site. I'll finish this off by saying my monza will only go 100 MPH (that's as far as the speedo goes), but it gets there in a hurry. (Now back to Opel related). If the V-6/T-5 swap runs as good as the monza, I'll be extremely pleased, and if it goes as quick as my van, then I will be pickled tink.:D

Ron

·
149 Posts
On a more Opel related note: It would be interesting to see just how much commonality there was between the Monza and the Manta B. Some of the parts look very similar.

Darrin

·
Idiot with a GT
155 Posts
rear end mods

Since there's a bit of freaking out about talking Monzas on an Opel site, let's get a little stupid. I'm replacing the drivetrain of a 71 GT with the drivetrain from a 72 Ford E-100. 302, C-4, 9-inch rear-end. (Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?) The previous engine that was in it was for 1/4 miles. This will be a daily. The diff is off center, so the cut will be 2" off one side and 26" off the other, as I only have about 48" to work with.
BTW, what was the original tire spec on the GT?
Dave

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
According to my 72 Opel GT Owners Handbook the original tires on my GT were: 165-13, with a load range of "B".
HTH.

Ron

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
darrin if you are talking about the opels then its just about the badge on the nose and thats it
the monza is way bigger way faster and looks way better too

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Uh, Baz, I hate to disagree with you, but my GT with the 1.9/4 speed was faster than my 5.7/TH350 monza. It wasn't quicker (acceleration) but was definately faster (top end). Just a little clarity of semantical terms:)

Ron

·
149 Posts
I was refering to the Chevrolet Monza (also Buick Skyhawk, Pontiac Sunbird, Oldsmobile Starfire, etc. collectively known as H-body on the west side of the pond) and the Opel Manta B. Many of the styling cues are similar (I know, both are GM) and some parts look interchangable. Also the phots I have seen would lead me to believe that the 1.8L motor from the Manta B is that same as the L-series 4 cylinder that appears in our (US) J-body cars. It would be interesting to note just how much cross pollenation there was between the two platforms. Hmm... might be possible to create a US version of the Manta B with a few imported parts and a clean H or J chassis.

Darrin

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Yeah Gary, just like Darrin said, the "H" body GM. I've got a 75 notch back model, not the fastback or 2 + 2. Mine's the TC or Town Coupe. I've got a pic of it somewhere, half covered in tire smoke before I changed to the 3.08:1 Auburn rear-end. I got real tired of smoking one tire all the time, so now I can smoke both tires half the time:D .

Ron

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
i was just trying to find out the same thing (just bad wording )
the "j" body came here as the vauxhall cavalier mark 3 / opel ascona series 3
i think it was GM's first world car
and ron ask gary what the senator is like when you mash the pedal down:D
just had a look at some monza pics that would have been laught out of a uk showroom with 110 bhp from a 4litre + V8

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
now thats a monza
add the lotus omega 3.3 engine and box and you have a CAR:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts