Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I just took delivery of a 1974 Manta. This is my first Opel and looking forward to this project. I have always been a big fan and owner of Germany made cars like Capris and BMWs. Over all the car is in great shape. My plan is making a resto rod using miata suspension and drive line. My son and I are in the process of tear down.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,185 Posts
Mantas are fun cars...if I were you, I'd freshen up the stock suspension and drive it a bit. You might be amazed at what it can do.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Welcome to the AZ Opel group.... there are a few of us here with GT'g, Manta's and 1900/Ascona's. My brother Doug and I are in Surprise Another new member is not far from me in Goodyear and Roy and Doug Robinson are in the N. Scottsdale area. The Saturday afternoon-nite show at Mcdonalds off the 101 at Indian Bend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the AZ Opel group.... there are a few of us here with GT'g, Manta's and 1900/Ascona's. My brother Doug and I are in Surprise Another new member is not far from me in Goodyear and Roy and Doug Robinson are in the N. Scottsdale area. The Saturday afternoon-nite show at Mcdonalds off the 101 at Indian Bend.
Hi AZ Opel group, good to hear from you. I go to the Saturday afternoon events, what time do you guys usually show up? My car is COMPLETELY striped right now as I am working on putting a Miata rear subframe and suspension in. If you guys what to stop by let me know.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,583 Posts
Mantas are fun cars...if I were you, I'd freshen up the stock suspension and drive it a bit. You might be amazed at what it can do.
I'll echo this..... When SCCA came out with the Showroom Stock classes, the Opel 1900 (Ascona A) was a dominant car in the SSA class. The Manta and 1900 have identical suspension and drivetrain. (Of course, a nice independent rear suspension won't be bad.)

Man those wheels gotta go LOL!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
FYI.... I'm not sure if you guys (that don't know me) know that I own the 1972 Car & Driver Opel 1900 Ascona. It was Turbocharged in 1973 and sold to a C&D reader then resold to someone that advertised it in Newsday. I went and looked at it and turned it down because it wasn't the GT that C&D also did...Not buying it then was a mistake. The next owner blew it up and swapped the engine for one from a GT. He then sold it to a photographer for the Daily News. The photographer messed up that engine and left the car parked on the street where he ran up over a thousand $'s in parking tickets. I again saw it was for sale and went to see the car with Harry from Brooklyn who also has a 1900/Ascona. It was in much worse shape than when I could have first bought the car but I made a deal and bought the car w/o the original engine and turbo. I had the seller call the previous owner and he agreed to sell me the original low compression engine and turbo. I had Harry put the turbo on the High compression engine and I raced it around a little until I blew it up. I brought the car to Carlisle to let the rest of the Opel guys see it but have never restored it. It stayed in my yard on Long Island 'til I towed it here to Phoenix one winter at least 10 years ago. I have way too many cars (over 20) including Malcolm's Targa from the UK and a 73 GT I bought from a Chevy dealer in '75 that is at my house in NY as well as another 1900/Ascona that won the SCCA Southeast Solo Championship many years ago and is being restored here in my garage in Surprise along with my brother's and my 1975 Manta from Iowa that Mark Paar had restored shortly before his passing a few years ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll echo this..... When SCCA came out with the Showroom Stock classes, the Opel 1900 (Ascona A) was a dominant car in the SSA class. The Manta and 1900 have identical suspension and drivetrain. (Of course, a nice independent rear suspension won't be bad.)

Man those wheels gotta go LOL!
I agree those wheels are going. I did think about just doing an old school performance build, but a more modern suspension (and parts availability) was calling me.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,583 Posts
FYI.... I'm not sure if you guys (that don't know me) know that I own the 1972 Car & Driver Opel 1900 Ascona. It was Turbocharged in 1973 and sold to a C&D reader then resold to someone that advertised it in Newsday.
That is cool... I have a Xerox of that article sitting at arm's length from me right now: "An Opel Under Pressure".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts