Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Opeler
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of doing a complete brake overhaul. I have removed the rear wheel cylinders and front calipers. I installed the new master cylinder today and when I hooked up the brake pedal, it would only move about 2 inches even though there is nothing attached at the wheels. Before I changed the MC, the pedal would just go to the floor with no resistance. Did I miss a step when I put it back together?

·
Opeler
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, now it also gets stuck when you press the pedal and you have to pull it back up. Everything seemed to go together smoothly, but being a novice at car repair I don't know what my next step should be. Unfortunately for now, I only have a crappy Chiltons manual. I am watching for an FSM but havn't been able to aquire one yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Fsm

There is not much more in the FSM!

The only thing that comes to mind is to ask if the connection to the pedal itself is in the correct way. The rod goes in from the centre of the car and the retaining clip is on the clutch pedal side of the brake pedal lever. It is difficult to fit it this way but that is how it should be put together. If the rod is the other way around it could be out of line and jamming.

Otherwise I am mystified too - just like everybody else on the site by the look of the lack of replies........ :confused:

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
There was a post here not too long ago from somebody that got at least 1 bad one from thier local parts house. Where did you get yours? If the master cylinder is all that you have replaced so far it should be pretty straight forward. If it were installed wrong you would have no pedal movement, and I would also watch to see if the bar from the pedal is moving when you step on the brakes just to be sure nothing has come apart on that side. JM2CW

·
Opeler
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally figured out the problem with the new master cylinder. It wasn't the cylinder but the mechanic that was the problem. When I installed the new MC, I didn't get the pushrod from the booster in the sleeve and the rod bent off to the side when I tried to press the pedal. I had to remove the MC and then the booster to be able to get at the bent rod. Finally got it straightened back out and everything re-installed. Seems to be working ok now. Just have to wait on my new front calipers to arrive later this week. With any luck, I could be driving next week.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts