Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day. I just joined and a happy to have acquired what I think is a 1971 Opel GT. It came with a spare engine and lots of extra parts. I owned a restored GT when I was younger and could never shack the enthusiasm for the car. My new car has a good running motor but the body and the interior is rough. This is going to be a project over several years for me for sure and I look forward to tapping in to all of your experience and expertise with this beautiful little car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
753 Posts
Welcome! 71’ was a great year for the GT, there’s wonderful help here not to mention knowledge about these cars it’s given me the courage to do things in the restoration department I wouldn’t have tried on my own. Just ask and someone will point you in the right direction :) looking forward to seeing pic of your car, enjoy your restoration!

·
Senior Contributor
1,515 Posts
Welecome

Welcome Aboard,, It seems like you've Been Infected with A Disease... yes,, Opelitis and there "" No Cure"" seems like you been lusting for one for a while.. Good Luck :veryhappy
Hey,, post some pictures... of your 71 GT it's pretty easy to do... Show us Your 71 Opel :yup:

Cheers,
-Mike

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Happy opeling to you sir and WELCOME

You will find tons of info here
And without calling anyone old there are members here that have forgotten more than I'll ever know
Good Luck let's see this pearl to be:haha:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Good day. I just joined and a happy to have acquired what I think is a 1971 Opel GT. It came with a spare engine and lots of extra parts. I owned a restored GT when I was younger and could never shack the enthusiasm for the car. My new car has a good running motor but the body and the interior is rough. This is going to be a project over several years for me for sure and I look forward to tapping in to all of your experience and expertise with this beautiful little car.

Welcome . Need more Opel BC boys around . I'm over on Vancouver Island with a 71 as well.This is the most informed group out there for your car. Get to know Gil at OGTS. He's the best parts guy around. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
5,767 Posts

Welcome fellow Canuck! I don't know of any Opel'ers in your immediate vicinity, but there are folks spread around BC and Alberta. We have a pretty active group here in Calgary, counting 12 at present. Drop me a line when you are in the neighborhood and we can chat about Opels

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds Great. I’m down here in Nelson. Anywhere I can go to be with fellow Opel GT enthusiasts sounds great to me. I do get out that way from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ll get some photos up of my field find real soon. I won’t have time to start on it until next year but I am hooked for sure.

·
Opeler
250 Posts
Welcome to the club...fellow Canadian. :haha:I believe our numbers are growing!! You will definitely get a lot of help from this group. Check out Gil at Opel Gt Source...you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Sounds Great. I’m down here in Nelson. Anywhere I can go to be with fellow Opel GT enthusiasts sounds great to me. I do get out that way from time to time.

There in a meet in Washinton every year. Been there many times.

·
RunOpel
1,234 Posts
Definitely welcome to the Opel party. I’m very partial to 1971 Opel GT as I have one and a parts car with extra engine. If you don’t already have the Opel disease, you will in due time. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your GT.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1971 Opel GT images

Well, here is my project. Found in a rural area. It definitely need some TLC. You can see there has been some work done on the motor. I have no history on this and don’t even know what’s been done to the motor but is runs quite well. I have lots of extra parts for it and an extra motor. I would like to know any thoughts on upgrades to the motor, 2.0 vs 2.2 vs 2.4 litre. Looking for more jam plus reliability. Thank you for all of your enthusiasm.

Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
nice find, and extra parts,, cool
It's still amazing that these can be found! How does one just leave a gt in a field or where ever?
You will get more info here than you can remember.
Good luck and look forward to your progress:yup::haha:
P.S. your gt asked me to thank you for saving it.:yup:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
nice find, and extra parts,, cool
It's still amazing that these can be found! How does one just leave a gt in a field or where ever?
You will get more info here than you can remember.
Good luck and look forward to your progress:yup::haha:
P.S. your gt asked me to thank you for saving it.:yup:
I've had mine for about 10 years. If I had to do it over again I'd do the 2.4, inject it with a Getrag 5 speed tranny. As it is, I bored the 1.9 to 2.0 with a 38 Weber and some other extras and the Getrag. I've got to much into it now to justify a change.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the feedback on your experience. Got lots of time for planning so all suggestions are welcome

·
RunOpel
1,234 Posts
Looks like a complete Opel, but certainly will need your time and money :yup: But hey that's what this party is all about. Like you said, you have time to research and decide what upgrades you want to do.

This forum is packed with valuable information in all aspects of any Opel model. It just takes time and patience to conduct searches for what information your seeking. Do a search on engine upgrade and you will spend plenty of time reading and getting your answers.

Good luck, we look forward to your posting of progress :veryhappy

·
1971 GT
635 Posts
Welcome! Looks like a good project. When I was in Trail I had my GT at the Nelson show a couple of times. We generally show up at the Osoyoos and Penticton shows as well. I have one of those DGV carbs in a box somewhere if you need bits for it.

Corey
Penticton

Reactions: dpre

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I may have seen that car in the Nelson show. Was it per chance blue in color? I think we even chatted about our enthusiasm for the car. Good to hear from you all. I feel so welcome in the community and really look forward to starting my project and taking advantage of everyone’s experience and knowledge.
Michael

1 - 20 of 28 Posts