Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I've been an Opel fan since about 1973 when my friend bought a used Manta A. I bought a new 1975 Manta in Oct of 1975 which was my first new car and something I really couldn't afford. I bought it in Cedar Rapids, IA and brought it with me when I moved to northern MN. I sold it in about 1981 and have missed it ever since. It was a great road car but suffered in -40F temps and got cancer from the road salt. I am now returning to the past by purchasing a low mileage 74 Manta which will never see winter roads while in my possession. I will be checking this site regularly as I slowly work and quickly drive my new "toy car". Ausgezeichnet!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Welcome to the group... the people on here will be able to answer any question you may ask. My brother and I own a 1975 Manta that we bought from the estate of a member (Mark Paar) that passed away. He lived in Des Moines and had the car totally restored. It was finished less than a year before he passed away. The car now resides in Surprise, AZ so it will stay rust free. Good luck

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,217 Posts
Glad to have you show up, Bill. Good car! I am a 50 series chassis owner many times over.

Are you going to keep things pretty much original, or ???

·
Pedal Smasher
1,993 Posts
74 Manta which will never see winter roads
Well, that poor car will get about 2-3 months of driving out of the year. I have family from all over MN, my Mom is from the Iron Range, in Virginia and my Dad is from outside of Milaca, grew up on a farm. I've heard of Cook, can't recall ever being there. I was there this past May for Dante Tini's burrial, he would have been my great Uncle. I mention it because I never know who is connected to my Mom's family LOL.

·
RunOpel
929 Posts
Welcome to the party Bill :banana: Like already mentioned, this is a great bunch of awesome Opel owners with enormous amount of information and experience in all aspects of Opel restoration :yup: Post some pictures of your Opel and comments about restoration. Everyone loves to hear Opel experiences and see pictures, especially of progress :yup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome

Life is busy so I have not responded so far. Cook is about 25 miles north of Virginia. We read about Dante Tini's identification and return to Virginia for burial. I am not sure what I plan to do with the car besides drive it and address the dings and paint job. I still don't own it yet because I am waiting for the right weather to pick it up. I will post some pictures when I get it. Thanks for your interest and I will keep you up to date on how things progress.

One large factor in getting this car is that my wife can play with this toy also. She also liked our Opel and looks forward to driving one again.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Life is busy so I have not responded so far. Cook is about 25 miles north of Virginia. We read about Dante Tini's identification and return to Virginia for burial. I am not sure what I plan to do with the car besides drive it and address the dings and paint job. I still don't own it yet because I am waiting for the right weather to pick it up. I will post some pictures when I get it. Thanks for your interest and I will keep you up to date on how things progress.

One large factor in getting this car is that my wife can play with this toy also. She also liked our Opel and looks forward to driving one again.
Bill welcome to the madness. If and when you come up against something you don't quite understand, post your problem on the forum and someone will be able to help you. This forum has been a life saver for me. Again welcome to the madness.

Bob

·
Registered
48 Posts
Very nice Manta! Show us what that wing is attached to also; I think that there are a few old flyers on here too.
And young ones :) Opels and airplanes - my two favorite things in the world lol

Very nice Manta Bill!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts