Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
RunOpel
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I finally decided to become a member, after purchasing my 1971 Opel Gt in July of 2015. Its been nearly four years of working on this car. I got it from an original owner of which took very good care of. However, she hadn't driven it for years and it needed some work. All original with 122,000 miles. I have used this site as a non member and found it to be extremely valuable. By becoming a member, I now have access to pictures and a wealth of knowledge. I'm thankful that I can be a part of a great Opel community.

Thank you to all

dpre

·
Vendor
2,446 Posts
Welcome to the Opelgt.community (what took you so long? :p )
Let me be the first to pester you for pics of your GT.
Where are you located?
Cheers,
Ron in Indy

·
RunOpel
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ron,
I live in Port Orchard Washington. I have read several of your comments and have learned a lot. I take it you have been around Opels awhile. I will send some photos soon. When I was in high school, my cousin and I would work on one. It wasn’t until a few years ago I was fortunate to get one

·
Vendor
2,446 Posts
Thanks Ron,
I live in Port Orchard Washington. I have read several of your comments and have learned a lot. I take it you have been around Opels awhile. I will send some photos soon. When I was in high school, my cousin and I would work on one. It wasn’t until a few years ago I was fortunate to get one
Well, there are some genuine experts that hang out on this site, but I don't count myself among them.
I'm more of a "drive the car, and learn how to fix it if/when it breaks" kind of owner. That's what is great about this site, though.
Just about everything that you need to do is documented somewhere on Opelgt.com. I'm old enough to remember what it
was like trying to keep these cars on the road before the internet.
I seem to recall a few other Opelers in the PNW in and around Seattle. Hopefully they will chime in on this thread.
Cheers,
RR

·
RunOpel
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I’m not a mechanic by trade, but certainly have learned a lot by just trying and doing. I can relate about not having the internet when working on a Opel with limited information from the manual. I have been working on this Opel when I get time and money. Now with about $4,000 into it, I’m very close to putting it on the road with confidence it will be a reliable driver.

·
RunOpel
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I’m glad I did too. There is a wealth of knowledge in this club.

·
Senior Contributor
1,462 Posts
Greetings,

I finally decided to become a member, after purchasing my 1971 Opel Gt in July of 2015. Its been nearly four years of working on this car. I have used this site as a non member and found it to be extremely valuable. By becoming a member, I now have access to pictures and a wealth of knowledge. I'm thankful that I can be a part of a great Opel community.

Thank you to all

dpre
Welcome to the Opelgt.community (what took you so long? :p )
Let me be the first to pester you for pics of your GT.
Where are you located?
Cheers,
Ron in Indy

We All Welcome Dan,, Our new member to the site,,, non-member and Now an Official Member since March 2019
and already has 537 post YaY... :banana: For Dan

Let me be the Second to pester you for pics (photos) of your GT
I don't think you posted any Photos of your GT ... We Love to see, what you have :yup:

I was wondering if your missing a " O"

·
Registered
937 Posts
We All Welcome Dan,, Our new member to the site,,, non-member and Now an Official Member since March 2019
and already has 537 post YaY... :banana: For Dan

Let me be the Second to pester you for pics (photos) of your GT
I don't think you posted any Photos of your GT ... We Love to see, what you have :yup:
aaahhhh I see/can't see what Dan did there.
Kinda think of it not sure I remember any pics either
Alright my friend Dan Cough em up :lmao::yup::haha:

·
RunOpel
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess most of the time we do drive on a two-way street :yup: and pictures and details have been slow to appear.

With that said, after the new year I will post more pictures and details so my garage won't look so empty :haha:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I guess most of the time we do drive on a two-way street :yup: and pictures and details have been slow to appear.

With that said, after the new year I will post more pictures and details so my garage won't look so empty :haha:
Dan, I thought you were an oldtimer here on the stie, but that is incorrect. Still need some pictures, so post pictures, if you don't know how, I can help to some degree. Pictures Dan, pictures.

Bob

·
Senior Contributor
1,462 Posts
Dan, I thought you were an oldtimer here on the stie, but that is incorrect. Still need some pictures, so post pictures, if you don't know how, I can help to some degree. Pictures Dan, pictures.

Bob
It's Ok Bob,,, He's trying to look like an old timer .......I think we have a web Troll among Us... Dan,, Post Pictures now to prove us all wrong...He might need time to find a Red GT to post.. Had plenty of time to make a Red cartoon GT for his signature ...sorry to be mean.. but we've Had Web trolls before among Us .
He's post contribute nothing,, hasn't asked one question about his GT.... Prove Us all Wrong and Post Photo's of your GT Now.. . Honestly Dan.. what are you hiding from???? am waiting like the rest of us.. let's see what you've Got...

·
Registered
937 Posts
Dan a troll? :lmao:
Nah I couldn't see that
Even if and I say IF he didn't or doesn't have one I would have no problems with that
After all he has been a loyal member for a number of years and has/is a contributor to all of us.
especially his trade mark saying if you get to drive your opel today.
My concern is ( the empty garage) part. Sounds lonely to me.:lmao:
For all we know he maybe holding out for that perfect 71 red gt he so adores.
Guess we'll have to wait till the new year:yup:
Wait a minute didn't I see a post/pic with the new e brake handle from our awesome wood working friend Mr. Bob ?

·
RunOpel
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey thanks for at least referring to me as a troll and not a mole ? I hate moles sorry for you rodent lovers, I unfortunately get moles in my lawn and those buggers can sure cause a mess.

Thanks Terry for remembering, I have on a few occasions posted pictures of my GT ?

Okay as a tease I posted a few more. You will notice in the picture with the passenger door open, the color of the paint looks more yellow along the top and to the left. That is due to the sun reflection. The paint is original and not bad for as old as it is. Also if you scan in close, you will see a small area of rust along the bottom forward of wheel fender. Everything you see is original with exception of radio, seat belts, fog turn signals. The carpet is incredibly in great shape. The pad is like brand new from factory. The seats and upholstery is amazing. Unfortunately there are a couple of rust spots that will need attention. My goal is to have those areas addressed when I have it repainted.

Hope this will hold you over until I can fill my garage up a bit more ?

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hey thanks for at least referring to me as a troll and not a mole ? I hate moles sorry for you rodent lovers, I unfortunately get moles in my lawn and those buggers can sure cause a mess.

Thanks Terry for remembering, I have on a few occasions posted pictures of my GT ?

Okay as a tease I posted a few more. You will notice in the picture with the passenger door open, the color of the paint looks more yellow along the top and to the left. That is due to the sun reflection. The paint is original and not bad for as old as it is. Also if you scan in close, you will see a small area of rust along the bottom forward of wheel fender. Everything you see is original with exception of radio, seat belts, fog turn signals. The carpet is incredibly in great shape. The pad is like brand new from factory. The seats and upholstery is amazing. Unfortunately there are a couple of rust spots that will need attention. My goal is to have those areas addressed when I have it repainted.

Hope this will hold you over until I can fill my garage up a bit more ?
Your tellin me Dan I can't stand a f'n mole those grub snuffin tunnel diggin piece of schnitts every time I get the left side of my back yard straight those bastards invade and f it all up again.:ugh::no::bs2:
I have to say Dan I know it's the sun but a faded paint job from red to orange if done right wouldn't look to bad.
So I have to ask whats up with the new year and the gt/garage. are you renovating or something?

·
RunOpel
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Terry I see you have the same sentiments that I have with moles. They are the most horrible critters a home owner with grass can have.

Yes I would agree a faded red could be a beautiful orange like your GT ?

Patience with time will eventually fill a garage ?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I love the stuff about moles. Yep, someone else can love them, I have had only one encounter and that when I still lived in California. Disgusting looking, I have seen the damage a few of them can do to a lawn. Glad they don't have them in Nevada!

Bob

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Regarding moles, these traps work great:

Twice (and "hypothetically" due to local laws and the fifth amendment) these traps have gotten the vermin within 5 minutes of being set. They are well built, really easy to set and hands don't get dirty (although instructions say to always use gloves so as not to get human scent on the traps).

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,217 Posts
Speaking of moles, I had a work friend tell me that when he was a teen, he and a friend decide to get rid of the moles on the yard for his dad. They took an acetylene tank, put the hose in a mole hole and turned it on low and waited about 20 minutes. According to my friend, a few seconds after lighting the acetylene, they were picking their butts up off the ground, and the yard had been blown to smithereens. LOL
No more miles but it took him months to fix the lawn....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts