Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Looks like two or more folks really want this belly pan. But they are not listed by e-bay names. It's a private auction. Bummer, I'd like to know who gets it, just out of curiosity.

Ron

·
What's a Nopel?
352 Posts
Confused

Why would you bid $349 for an item like this when you could buy the same thing at OGTS for $250

Oh now I see... metal vs fiberglass... thanks!
:eek:

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Jordan I think you're right. 600 is my guess as well. I think that the private auction will help it go higher. It means that whoever bids those amounts can keep from being snickered at by anyone that thinks the price was outrageous. It would be a nice item to have but not for more than the one OGTS sells. Now sombody can graft it on and sware that it has always been perfect. If I spent that much on it I would probably hit a curb the first day. Not that I'm unlucky but murphy would be riding shotgun.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I'm guessing the reason that it's going for so much is that it is the original sheetmetal and not the fiberglass that OGTS has.

Nobody: I've known Mr. Murphy for a very long time. He was in residence here at my house and we were on a first name basis. His first name is Aloisius, just in case you were curious. My first motorhome was known in the dog world as the "Murphy Mobile, The Motor Home From Hell". A very long story is attached to that. Suffice to say 3 engines, 3 trannies, innumerable fan belts, and a fire.

Ron

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
A number of years ago I was driving the silver turbo GT and hit a patch of ice going way too fast. All it did was put me up against the curb sliding straight. I came over a small hill and stuffed it under a semi trailer. After dropping the nose of the trailer and taking almost all the air out of the front tires we got it out. The lights were up so the headlights were broken and it pulled both covers off, and it really messed up the panel between the lights. I ordered one out of Germany from C&R. It was really expensive at the time and took forever to get. The day I got it all put back together I went to Arby's for lunch and a guy in a GMC jimmy full size decided to back out of the road. He kept going till he was almost high centered on that brand new German steel. I let him live, when I found out he was uninsured and would never pay I wished I hadn't. Yes I know murphy quite well. And I know this should be humor or horror but it does relate to expensive new sheet metal. I kept one of the headlight covers for years as a reminder of an evening torturing steel and the price it exacted on my wallet and that beautiful car.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
NOS NICE!

Just had that bit made for mine from 1.2mm "zintec" sheet metal as the fibre glass never mates with the original steel in any permanent way and eventually cracks apppear.

Recon it cost about $US1,000 !!!! Who IS that Murphy guy?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
GTJim, there is a law here in the States that says: "If anything can go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible time." This is known as Murphy's Law, therefore we attribute all problems, regardless how small to the aforementioned Aloisius Murphy. :D

Ron

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Same Here!

We have exactly the same saying here in NZ
I just want to track him down - with extreme prejudice - BEFORE he manages to damage the front of my GT! Or is that tempting fate? We all know what the Irish are like:D

·
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
murpheys law is altered many ways to fit the situation but the base of the "law" is "if any thing can go wrong, it will go wrong"

"if there is the smallest most miniscule flaw in the design, it will be the demise of the project"

^ thats for the machinists out there:D

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I think Murphy's law governs Ebay and most sales anywhere. If you bought it today, tomorrow or this coming weekend it will be on sale for half of what you paid. If Murphy is really pissed then the one on sale will come with some other part or attachment you wish you had.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts