Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
My '61 Vauxhall had the separate solenoid and you could push the plunger and crank the engine when you were working on the engine. Great to have when you are adjusting valves.

·
Über Genius
9,460 Posts
My '61 Vauxhall had the separate solenoid and you could push the plunger and crank the engine when you were working on the engine. Great to have when you are adjusting valves.
The mechanical plunger was a nice thing to have. Otherwise you can just add a jumper button to the GM or Ford versions.

·
Über Genius
9,460 Posts
Great thankyou. I'll be copying this page. This will be my plan B if my upgrades don't work. Any particular ford Solenoid I should use.
Specifically, the one I used was for a 1972 Ford Torino wagon with a 400ci engine.

Reactions: Dale .D

·
Can Opeler
3,518 Posts
I wasn’t able to find a solenoid in my town. By the way the correct part number is SS823 or 1m1251 for the solenoids.
I swapped the working OGTS starter from my off-road GT to my GT with the broken solenoid. It starts great once again! I put my old 1.9L bosch starter on the off-road GT and it starts just as good as before!

I’m going to see about sending the bad one back to Opel Gt source, because it isn’t very old. If they won’t take it then I’m going to try the ss823 solenoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Opeler
942 Posts
I did a little reasearch based on another thread Gary started about a solenoid for his 2.4 starter and found Standard Motor Products #SS348 also fits the vehicles he mentioned. I took a chance and ordered one via Amazon (easy returns if necessary). If you look at the product description from Standard’s site, this is a quality part including all copper posts.

It’s an exact fit for the OGTS new starters. If you have a OGTS starter with a bad solenoid you may want to try this part. It’s not inexpensive but you will be able to use the smaller, permanent magnet starter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
I have read through the entire thread, and I am still a little confused. (That is not unusual). Are we talking about the solenoid on the permanent magnet starter that OGTS sells? I put one of these on my GT, seems to have a little more power than the usual replacement starter. I haven't had any problems with the starter or the solenoid, so that is why I am wondering if we are talking about the same starter and solenoid. Any replies would be appreciated.

Bob

·
Opeler
942 Posts
I have read through the entire thread, and I am still a little confused. (That is not unusual). Are we talking about the solenoid on the permanent magnet starter that OGTS sells? I put one of these on my GT, seems to have a little more power than the usual replacement starter. I haven't had any problems with the starter or the solenoid, so that is why I am wondering if we are talking about the same starter and solenoid. Any replies would be appreciated.

Bob
Yes, for permanent magnet OGTS starter. Some have had premature solenoid failure.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Starter solenoids.

I have two Opels, both are 1.9L engines. I’ve replaced the starters on both engines with the OGTS starter. The GT’s starter began acting up within a week of installation. I called Gil and he shipped out a replacement. That was two years ago and it’s still going strong. The Kadett’s OGTS starter is beginning to act up after a summer of driving. I’ll be removing it shortly just to replace the solenoid now that I see you guys have found a replacement. The OGTS starters are strong, turn the engine over much faster, and do weigh a lot less. It’s not the starter giving me problems, it’s the solenoid’s. That SS 348 replacement looks like a good solution.
Thanks to everyone for doing the research on this.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I did a little reasearch based on another thread Gary started about a solenoid for his 2.4 starter and found Standard Motor Products #SS348 also fits the vehicles he mentioned. I took a chance and ordered one via Amazon (easy returns if necessary). If you look at the product description from Standard’s site, this is a quality part including all copper posts.

It’s an exact fit for the OGTS new starters. If you have a OGTS starter with a bad solenoid you may want to try this part. It’s not inexpensive but you will be able to use the smaller, permanent magnet starter.
Would this solenoid fit on the 1.9 starter? I have that i believe is original with a bad solenoid, and i really dont want to have to shell out $150 for a new starter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nevermind, my starter is aftermarket. Im not sure how id find a solenoid for it at this point
Would this solenoid fit on the 1.9 starter? I have that i believe is original with a bad solenoid, and i really dont want to have to shell out $150 for a new starter

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Well, I had my first experience with the permanent magnet 2.4 starter. At Kool April Nites, The starter just died. It has 12.74 volts going to the solenoid, but when you turn the key to start, you get nothing. No clicking, no sound, no nothing. I am going to call Gil tomorrow and find out if he has any ideas. I don't know if the starter itself won't work or the solenoid is the issue. It has probably been used 45 times since it was new. Can't figure this one out.

Bob

·
Über Genius
9,460 Posts
Solenoid starter 101

There are basically 4 reasons a starter goes bad.

Solenoid coil
Solenoid contacts
Bendix
Starter brushes.

If it clicks, the solenoid coil is fine
If it spins the solenoid contacts are good.
if it spins but doesn't engage then the bendix is probably bad.
If you get nothing, it's bad contact or the solenoid coil is bad.

OR, you have a bad line to the solenoid.
To test it, jump the solenoid

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have no idea what a bendix is, but my starter spins, but doesnt engage
Solenoid starter 101

There are basically 4 reasons a starter goes bad.

Solenoid coil
Solenoid contacts
Bendix
Starter brushes.

If it clicks, the solenoid coil is fine
If it spins the solenoid contacts are good.
if it spins but doesn't engage then the bendix is probably bad.
If you get nothing, it's bad contact or the solenoid coil is bad.

OR, you have a bad line to the solenoid.
To test it, jump the solenoid

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Well, I had my first experience with the permanent magnet 2.4 starter. At Kook April Nites, The starter just died. It has 12.74 volts going to the solenoid, but when you turn the key to start, you get nothing. No clicking, no sound, no nothing. I am going to call Gil tomorrow and find out if he has any ideas. I don't know if the starter itself won't work or the solenoid is the issue. It has probably been used 45 times since it was new. Can't figure this one out.

Bob
What is the battery voltage drawn down to when you turn the key to start?

·
Über Genius
9,460 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
#ss348

Just wondering, what the results have been for those who purchased the Standard Motor Products #ss348 solenoid? My OGTS "new" starter began to act up last year and I am now thinking about this solenoid as a replacement. Has this solenoid solved the issues with the OGTS version on their new, lightweight, starter?

Thanks
Paul in Mi

·
Über Genius
9,460 Posts
You can replace a bendix without replacing the whole starter but you do need to remove the starter to do it.

I forgot a small but possible other reason for the starter to spin but not engage. If the pivot pin front the solenoid to the bendix were to break, you would get spin but no engagement.

Back when I had my first Opel GT, I could buy an Opel bendix at the import parts place. In fact, I had to one time.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts