Opel GT Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Opeler
942 Posts
Just wondering, what the results have been for those who purchased the Standard Motor Products #ss348 solenoid? My OGTS "new" starter began to act up last year and I am now thinking about this solenoid as a replacement. Has this solenoid solved the issues with the OGTS version on their new, lightweight, starter?

Thanks
Paul in Mi
Mine has been fine but my car’s not a daily driver and sometimes goes a couple of weeks without being driven. Basically, I may not be a good example as mine doesn’t have a boatload of starts on it. Also, on another thread, which prompted to do some searching and found the Standard solenoid, Gary bought a Duralast solenoid part # SS823.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
I just finished an email to Gil to get his perspective on my problems with the 2.4 permanent magnet starter. I will let everyone know what he comes up with for a fix.

Bob

·
Can Opeler
3,518 Posts
My third OGTS starter solenoid on two GTs is beginning to fail. I ordered an SS348 solenoid from rockauto to replace it. I’m not dealing with this thing anymore.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My third OGTS starter solenoid on two GTs is beginning to fail.
Is there a common failure with these? I was considering buying the newer starter they have since mine doesn’t like to engage half the time. It’s been that way since I first bought it, but wanted to see if replacing the ignition switch and adding a relay would solve it. It didn’t.

·
Can Opeler
3,518 Posts
Is there a common failure with these? I was considering buying the newer starter they have since mine doesn’t like to engage half the time. It’s been that way since I first bought it, but wanted to see if replacing the ignition switch and adding a relay would solve it. It didn’t.
There are a lot of issues with these. All of the issues surround the crappy solenoids. The motor is exceptional quality from what I’ve seen so far and much higher power. Several of us have them randomly start failing on us. Others have issues right out of the box where they act like they need shimming (that may have been fixed?)

I drive my GT a couple thousand miles a year in short drives so I’ve had more issues than most with them.

I still recommend buying the OGTS starter as it’s better than trying to find a stock or reman 2.4 starter and the motor is a huge upgrade. Just realize you may have to replace the solenoid ($35) after about 3000miles.

I’ll let you know how it does with the Rockauto solenoid

·
Bikini Inspector
5,773 Posts
There are a lot of issues with these. All of the issues surround the crappy solenoids. The motor is exceptional quality from what I’ve seen so far and much higher power. Several of us have them randomly start failing on us. Others have issues right out of the box where they act like they need shimming (that may have been fixed?)

I drive my GT a couple thousand miles a year in short drives so I’ve had more issues than most with them.

I still recommend buying the OGTS starter as it’s better than trying to find a stock or reman 2.4 starter and the motor is a huge upgrade. Just realize you may have to replace the solenoid ($35) after about 3000miles.

I’ll let you know how it does with the Rockauto solenoid
which rock auto solenoid did you buy? my airtex one seems to be of excellent quality and could not tell difference between a napa one.

·
Can Opeler
3,518 Posts
which rock auto solenoid did you buy? my airtex one seems to be of excellent quality and could not tell difference between a napa one.
I got the airtex because it is yellow zinc coated. I like gold!

·
Can Opeler
3,518 Posts
Can you check and see what your part number was? The one I got did not fit unfortunately. The little hook is way too small for the lever on the starter.

On the left is the one from rock auto, on the right is the one from OGTS.
This was an airtex 1M1224 which is listed as an equivalent part # to ss348

·
Can Opeler
3,518 Posts
Rockauto has a mistake on their website! The correct part is SS348 and 1M1251 I think.
1m1224 is not correct!

·
Can Opeler
3,518 Posts
I took apart my 2nd failed solenoid today. This one will not go back together. I accidentally cracked the fiberglass housing. I think I could get one of these apart and back together with some more practice but it would be tough.

If you are patient you could possibly clean the contacts or replace the bolts. The tough part would be expanded the crimp on the end and recrimping it.

Same failure as the previous person’s pictures!
Tons and tons of corrosion!

Look how dirty it is in here. There is no doubt mine was not properly sealed.

Mild corrosion on the other side too.

I think a lot of this gunk is from the housing cracking, so this isn’t a fair depiction, however there was a lot of grease in here.

The windings look to be decent quality. They were well lubricated and wound neatly. There is a smaller diameter wire winding separated by non conductive shielding paper stuff and larger diameter wire under it

·
Bikini Inspector
5,773 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
OK, it's been a while but here goes. I contacted Gil about the solenoid being dead after about 50 starts. I got the permanent magnet starter from OGTS. It seems that the starter is fine, the solenoid is what threw the monkey wrench into things. He offered to send me a different solenoid. I asked if he could send it to my mechanic in Redding, CA. He said yes. I still don't know if that fixed the problems with not starting, because my GT is getting rewired by my mechanic. I gave up as wiring (I found out) is not as easy as some say. With that said, my mechanic informed me that the rewiring job would be a winter project. Since I can't drive it any way, I said not a problem. So I am waiting for the phone call saying everything is done, and here's the bill. I provided all the wire, so that cut the costs down a little bit. I will post the results as soon as I get the GT back.

Bob

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Here's a question. If Gil is replacing the defenctive solenoids to the new starters what ones is he replacing them with? ... Are they a permanant fix to the problem/.. and do his new lighter weight starters have different solinoids in them now/.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Presume most Owners purchased starter from Opel GT Source.
I would email OPGTS or telephone for information.

Not the answer that you are looking for, but eventually I will switch back to a Ford solenoid for OEM starter.
I should have cables and solenoid from one of my previous GT. Does require different battery cables.
Find a heavy duty solenoid that is NOT Made in China.

installing a remote ford solenoid/ chevy starter | Grumpys Performance Garage
MAD Catalog
I had the same problem with a new one that I bought from OGTS. Wrote to Gil and he replaced the solenoid at no cost. If I have problems with the new one, I will have to look for a replacement solenoid locally. We will see how it holds up.

Bob

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I've contacted him about details to see if the soleniods have been changed . Will share details when he gets back to me.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I have talked to Gil at OGTS. He said regarding his new lightweight starters he has changed suppliers and hasn't had any issues with them since. He also has solenoids as well.

·
Opeler
1,303 Posts
My car has been without issues for a while, until lately :/

It started with licking my son up from school and when I tried to start the car back, I turned the key and nothing. Tried several times, then finally fired up. Since then the problem has gone from once in a few while to basically not being able to start the car.

Symptoms:
Turn the key…click, no fire and amp needle pegs to the right. Turn the key, same thing happens. This happens for about 4/5 times before the click disappears as well.
Testing:
I got a starter switch and while all connections on the starter were still hooked up, I tried to attach the gator clip to the spade terminal on the starter solenoid, as soon as it made contact it sparked and the car tried to fire. Keep in mind, I didn’t have the other part of the starter switch hooked up yet.
I then disconnected the wire on spade terminal and clamped everything up, no fire, not even a click.
Next, I checked battery voltage, 11.85 volts, drops to 10 when trying to crank.
Then I reconnected the spade fitting and tried to start the car…turn the key, short click and it fired up. Tried again, click. Click. Silence on turning the key.
Hook the starter switch up again, again with everything connected as normal as soon as I tried to attached the clamp to the spade terminal, it tried turned over. Disconnected the spade terminal and hooked it up. It turned over.
I called OGTS and Gil decided to send me a new solenoid to install, along with a 30amp relay. I mentioned to him that this was a new starter just a few months ago. He mentioned that all new starters should come with a relay to be installed, mine did not.
My question is twofold.
1) Did not installing a relay screw something up?
2) Is it just my solenoid that is the likely culprit?

Both items just showed up in the mail today (on Labor Day no less) and before I tear in to the car I thought I’d make sure I’m chasing the right ghost.

·
Super Moderator
8,234 Posts
The relay benefits the starter by bypassing the ignition switch. It's a shorter more direct path from the battery to the starter than through the ignition switch.

Harold

41 - 60 of 71 Posts