·
gone Opel GT crazy!
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Cost Effective ...

When you start adding up the cost of obtaining a straight - rust free - set of GT bumpers and add the cost of stripping, polishing and re-chroming this pice is not too bad!

Attachments

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
When you start adding up the cost of obtaining a straight - rust free - set of GT bumpers and add the cost of stripping, polishing and re-chroming this pice is not too bad!

I agree... so long as they do fit like OEM. Plus, even a rechromed bumper will tend to rust out again from the inside back.

·
Opel Key Master
5,026 Posts
Actually....

I am quite impressed a company is making these items. Yes, if you figure a rechroming cost of $350 for front $80-100 for each rear, and $say 50 each bumperette, plus new rubber, it gets close to the cost, but sometimes they plate them so much thicker, and they do not fit right after plating. The only drawback I see is if they get bent up, or say a ding or too, rechroming them is more expensive and doesn't adhear as well to the stainless. It can be done, but it isn't the best idea. It is also a quick way to have a set of bumpers ready to go.
Keith

·
Trouble Maker
1,523 Posts
I was really impressed by them when I saw the auction. I think that they're worth it, if you can afford it. Shipping is a little bit of a hang-up though, from the UK. I wish that it was a US place and you could by them piece by piece.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
No Need!

The only drawback I see is if they get bent up, or say a ding or too, rechroming them is more expensive and doesn't adhear as well to the stainless. Keith
They make the point that the stainless just needs to be repolished - no chrome needed on them at all. Knowing stainless, even bits could be welded into a damaged part and repolished to 'as new' as long as the same grade was used for the weld and repair.
They are solid stainless through and through!

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
I wonder how they got the compound curves pressed into the stainless to begin with. Every time I try and bend or shape stainless I get cracks or the material ends of terribly brittle. Wonder what grade of stainless it really is.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
304 Grade SS

Wonder what grade of stainless it really is.
They mention 304 grade - also known as 18/8 - which is 18 to 20% Chromium and 8 to 11% Nickel. A very good grade for the job.

Here is a quote from a stainless steel website (Source: Atlas Steels Australia):

"Grade 304 is the standard "18/8" stainless; it is the most versatile and most widely used stainless steel, available in a wider range of products, forms and finishes than any other. It has excellent forming and welding characteristics. The balanced austenitic structure of Grade 304 enables it to be severely deep drawn without intermediate annealing, which has made this grade dominant in the manufacture of drawn stainless parts such as sinks, hollow-ware and saucepans. For these applications it is common to use special "304DDQ" (Deep Drawing Quality) variants. Grade 304 is readily brake or roll formed into a variety of components for applications in the industrial, architectural, and transportation fields. Grade 304 also has outstanding welding characteristics. Post-weld annealing is not required when welding thin sections."

So it looks like they are using the correct grade for this application!

·
Opeler
3,687 Posts
I was really impressed by them when I saw the auction. I think that they're worth it, if you can afford it. Shipping is a little bit of a hang-up though, from the UK. I wish that it was a US place and you could buy them piece by piece.
Actually, I sent them an email asking if they would sell front bumper only and they answered positively but the quoted price was really steep, $699 for the front bumper bar only.

·
Incurable Opelitus
203 Posts
I Want It!

These bumpers, along w/ a set of new driver and passenger side mirrors, would make my GT look almost like new again. If anyone tries these out, I'd love to see some actual photos of their product as shipped, as well as some commentary on quality, appearance, fit, etc.
Hmmm...., maybe if my bonus check is large enough...?
Randy

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,082 Posts
:wow::cool3:
I look at it from the manufacturing stand point --> they must have invested thousands to make the molds!

Dieter

·
Opeler
175 Posts
you're right heimue, it must have cost a bundle to set up production.

I am willing to pay a bit to have nice new parts, I am just glad that companies take up production of new parts to our old cars.

I am awaiting a reply from the manufacter about the price for rear bumpers.

Stefan

·
1,874 Posts
I paid $400 just for a NOS front bumper without any guards etc so the price on that whole set is very fair.

·
Opeler
876 Posts
Shipping Charges

I don't think the shipping charges are that bad - $119 for the complete set and $79 for each additional set to the US. I'd love to see a set. If anyone decides to get one please post your opinion. $1,278 for a complete set including the rubbers seems like a pretty good deal, it's just a little rich for my blood right now - after the holidays and all. Plus, I'm still trying to get a group buy together for Unorthodox Racing aluminum flywheels set up for S-10 clutch sets.

·
Non Civilian
2,084 Posts
Looks like if you buy direct it costs 838,66 EUR + 36,00 EUR for shipping to USA. At that price why buy them on eBay?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts