Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
In the January 17th issue of Time, page 48, in the Business Section, Showtime in Detroit, Quote Coolest Technologies "The diesel fueled hybrid Opel Astra which gets 60mpg. End Quote. At least some name recognition, as in the above by Gary, is a start. Maybe they will relent enough to allow them to be sold in the US. ( hopefully all, not just the hybrids). Jarrell

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Nite Shifter!

Know anybody in the area that works in the assembly plant on night shift - who has a BIG lunch box!! ;)

·
1,175 Posts
Saturn/Opel

I just saw a day or two ago something about Saturn building what looks like a version of the Opel Speedster or Roadster here in the U.S. to be sold here in 2006. It is front wheel drive and was designed by Vauxhall, I believe. It is supposed to sell for under $25,000 and is front wheel drive as opposed to rear engine location for the European Opel Speedsters.

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
When and if they go into producton we should all go down a form a protest against the export of the Opel Roadster and demand they sell them here too, then maybe they (GM) will allow the Opel back in the USA.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
Killer Texas GT said:
When and if they go into producton we should all go down a form a protest against the export of the Opel Roadster and demand they sell them here too, then maybe they (GM) will allow the Opel back in the USA.
keep on pestering GM till they give in
like the old chestnut says

YOUR THE 30TH PERSON I'VE TOLD TODAY THERE'S JUST NO DEMAND FOR OPELS IN THE U.S.A.

·
Opeler
86 Posts

·
Opeler
86 Posts
amendment

Okay, on closer examination this petition is for importation of the Speedster, but it has the general idea, eh.

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Save your breath, GM is going to make the new Speedster/GT available in the US... as the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice. Between those two cars and now having the Lotus Elise available in the US, we will never see any versions of those cars with Opel badging, it's next to impossible.

It's like expecting the Holden Monaro to be imported because we have the Pontiac GTO.

·
Opeler
38 Posts
GM Employee News

I am a GM employee and this in in our news letter today

"WILMINGTON ASSEMBLY TO PRODUCE OPEL ROADSTER . . . Wilmington Assembly has been notified that General Motors has approved production of the GMX024 Opel Roadster. The Opel is based on the Kappa architecture and will be produced at Wilmington Assembly along with the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky. The Opel, yet to be named, will be exported to Europe and not available for sale in the U.S. Production is currently projected to begin in late 2006 as a 2007 model year product. Production volume and manpower requirements for the vehicle are still being finalized."

The reasons GM will not be selling the Opel version in the US are twofold, first, they are already marketing the car as a Saturn and a Pontiac, intoducing a third brand would only steal sales from the other two. Secondly, there is no Dealer structure and parts distribution for Opel in the US.

·
2,054 Posts
Just curious:

Is anyone on this forum planning on purchasing a Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky?

Would anyone on this forum who would not purchase the Solstice or Sky buy the Opel if it were offered here in the US?

As exciting as, and as much as I admire, the Solstice concept at the car show and reading about the Sky, and in spite of the fact we bought Saturns for both of my daughters, I most likely would not purchase any of these new cars. Not because of price; but because I, like most of you, prefer the joy of the old Opel.

·
Opeler
847 Posts
I just want to clarify that the Kappa based cars (Saturn Sky, Pontiac Solstice, and apparently Opel GT) are front engine, rear wheel drive. The Speedster (and similar Lotis Elise, available in the U.S. using a Toyota 1.8 liter engine) uses a mid-engine, rear wheel drive layout. The Kappa cars will be produced in the Wilmington, Delaware plant where they were building the Saturn L series (Opel Vectra).

One other comment on the Saturn L. My opinion is that it sold poorly because Saturn did not market it properly, not because it wasn't a good car. In fact, my neighbors who purchased one on my recommendation (and like the car) mentioned to me that they wouldn't have even known of its existence if I hadn't told them about it. They are more media-aware than I am but never saw an ad for anything but the Ion or Vue. Poor sales? Go figure.

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
I am seriously looking into the purchase of a Soltice for the spring of 2006. We have 2-3 months of nice weather here so it would not make sense to get it during the fall/winter.

If I were to get the Saturn version, I would definately plan on looking into rebadging it myself.

And I also read somewhere on another forum that someone is claiming that Opel stole the look of one of these two cars with no clue that the Speester had been out for quite a few years already.

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
Spoke too soon

Have just picked up this months Evo Magazine and have read that the new Opel GT isn't evening coming to the UK!.....looks like I spoke too soon :(

Is the forum going to offer access to the new Opel GT owners?

·
2,054 Posts
Just spotted my 1st 05 Lotus Elise outside of a car show! It was pulling into my neighborhood as my wife & I were pulling out. Bright yellow with green stripes. She said it was an ugly paint job. I almost pulled over to let her out, but we were in her car.

I am not one much in favor of yellow, but the few Opel GTs I've seen on this forum with after-market yellow paint look pretty damn good. Actually, truth be known, any GT with new paint, any color, looks pretty damn good.

Regarding the earlier question about purchasing a Saturn Sky or Pontiac Solstice, I am considering one as a replacement to my wife's aging Miata. These cars are just too cool to pass up.

·
GT Lover
29 Posts
I'd buy the Sky

I have seen a few Lotus' around and they do look nice but the price isn't too nice. If the Saturn Sky weighs in at a moderate price I would seriously consider buying one and DEbadging it. Of course nothing can replace my GT. I checked out the saturn website and I liked what I read and saw.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
During the semi-finals the other night, Pontiac had two commercials with the leadins being the Solstice, showing about 15 to 30 seconds of it before putting the other 3 cars they were pushing on. The blurb underneath said coming Jan 2006. Assuming I find the proverbial "pot of gold at the end of the Rainbow", I'd get one, or at least look into it. If nothing else, a test drive. :D Jarrell

·
What's a Nopel?
352 Posts
I have already held my spot in line to be the first on my block for the Pontiac Solstice at a local dealer with a deposit. They tell me I should be able to place my order 3rd quarter this year. (Maybe late 2nd quarter)

I'll keep you posted.

Marc

1 - 20 of 23 Posts