Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
New/Old Owner 1973 GT
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, getting tired of the dull and slow Dodge Caliber, I decided to take a look at the Pontiac Solstice. After looking around I found this nice example at Crisswell in Gaithersburg.

When I got there I noticed they had a Saturn Sky (Opel GT) right next to it. Turns out it was a Redline edition. This means 260HP turbo and top of the line stereo and leather.

Of course it was more, but damn it was nice.

I hemmed and hawed for a couple days, then took Dina in with me. She immediately preferred the Saturn, and told me it made no sense to get close to what you want when exactly what I wanted was not too much more!

continued...

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
Soon as they pry my fingers off this new wheel!! :lmao:

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,392 Posts
Have you hit the "Rev Limiter" yet

·
1971 Opel GT
198 Posts
Nice Jim! And good advice from your wife! I'm jealous. Uh...of the car, not your wife. :)

Wait....wait....automatic?? AAGGGGGHHHHhhhhh......

Just kidding. Still jealous.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Enjoy the new ride Jim!
Have you hit the "Rev Limiter" yet
That limit can be changed along with the speed limiter.

Nice Jim! And good advice from your wife! I'm jealous. Uh...of the car, not your wife. :)

Ken the line pressures can also be changed to out shift a manual. Along with the shift timing and various other tweaks.
Just food for thought.

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
Great buy - Congratulations!!!

·
New/Old Owner 1973 GT
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Yeah, I know, but with the DC commute I opted for an auto to save the left leg!

Great power, and handles like no other car I have owned. I would say nearly Vette handling.

Not a lot of that on my commute, but I live near some of the best roads in the country.

Jim :cool:

·
1000 Post Club
4,101 Posts
I think you need to bring it to Carlisle since your "barn find" has already been there. Maybe a few "test rides" are in order, hint, hint.

In any event, you need to take it to a local SCCA even and have some fun with it. The guys on this site convinced me to do that with my GT and Saab. Every time I think of those events, I get a big smile. Smoking the tires and sliding it between the cones and it is all legal!!

·
Driver
987 Posts
Nice buy! It will never touch our old GTs for styling, but ahhh the performance!:yup:

·
Super Moderator
5,290 Posts
And, in case you were curious . . .

. . . a bit of Kappa - Solstice, Sky, Opel GT - History compiled from AutoWeek articles going back to the first announcement and prototypes, roadster and coupe, at the 2002 Detroit International Auto Show . . .

. . . and just how rare are the Kappa cars, all manufactured in the Delaware GM Plant, BTW . . . ?

Kappa Chassis cars were produced from 2005 to 2009 when the Delaware Plant production line was shut down on June 12, 2009 after a final production run of 1,266 single year, 2009 "Pontiac Solstice Only!" Coupes.

North American 2009 Solstice Coupe Production - 1,266:
Pre-production/Mgr Eval - 114; USA - 956, Mexico - 118, Canada - 78.

2005-09 Kappa Total Production:
Pontiac Solstice - 65,724 (1,266 Coupes)
Saturn Sky - 34,415
Opel GT - 7,519

1 - 15 of 15 Posts