Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new opel

I just bought my first opel and am going to pick it up on saturday. Its a black 73! I am really excited. However, I am driving it from hollywood to chandler arizona and have never driven one before. My mother used to have one but her tips are useless because she crashed it into a bridge seven times (she cant drive) and she doesnt even know what year it was. Any advice on what to expect/ check before departure would be much appreciated.

·
Administrator
10,293 Posts
Lets see, first off, check all the fluid levels and the brakes. Then get a good pair of sunglasses so you won't get distracted by all the people gawking at your Opel. A pad and pen to keep track of all the thumbs up that you get. Get "before" pictures so you can show them to your friends when you get home to explain why you are speechless and have this stupid grin plastered to your face. Finally, tell your mom she can look but can not drive it.

On a more serious note.. it might be good to bring a spare fuel filter and an extra set of points along.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got alot of that stuff and the gawkkng is already done as I already have pics. No, mom cant drive it and I really dont want her to look as she isnt thrilled about the whole idea. I mean, she hates that I can drive and taught my sister too.... seriously, is there anything else I should check? One of the guys said that the headlight wiring is important because they can catch fire. I plan on fully changing the oil and all of that nice stuff before I go and the seller is making sure that the spare is good. I am just not real sure on any other specifics. I dont want to forget anything in my excitement. I have drooled over opel gt's of 10 years and theyre great. Isaw two in one day (probably all of them in my area) and decided it was my turn. I had been seriously looking for a while and this one happened to be in awesome condition and really cheap. Hehehe I am estatic!!!!:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello I'm a new owner also hope your first trip goes well. The day I got my new opel I had the carb catch fire no damage other than my pride but I'm happy now that its home . had lots of kids slowing down to look real cool GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so youre telling me to bring an extinguisher? Please dont tell me the car is going to burst into flame!!! I am nervous already! And not to mention pyrophobic.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
The rubber headlight wiring insulation on the GT between the buckets and the main loom under the hood deteriorates, and can (does) cause fatal short circuits. If you don't have time to re-wire them BEFORE the trip, just add an in-line 30 amp fuse to the 12 guage red wire that runs from the center of the fuse box to the silver relay box next to it. Opel didn't think to fuse the headlights, and the outcome can be car ending. But replace the bad wiring at your EARLIEST convenience.

New brake fluid would be good, and check that the brakes actually work. Especialy since old flex hoses (front and back)collapse internally, and block fluid flow, even if the hoses look good externally. Check the front pads.

New coolant and perhaps some water pump lubricant. Check the rad hoses, especially the lower hose, since it weakens first, and has to special ordered from an Opel supplier. Carry a jug of extra coolant.

Change the tranny and differential oil with new 80/90 weight hypoid (EP, or Extreme Pressure) oil. Make sure that the tranny isn't leaking, especially where it bolts to the bellhousing. This has a gasket between them, and it often isn't installed correctly, or the bolts loosen (TIGHTEN THEM!). Loss of tranny lubricant is also fatal (ask me how I know!)

Carry a spare rotor, points and distributor cap. Install new plugs. Also a spare fan belt, since the right size can be hard to find at 10:30 at night in the middle of the desert.

Post some pictures so we can see what you have bought, and make us jealous by telling us how little you paid for it.

HTH, and good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
good call!

GET that AAA membership, it will pay for itself tenfold.

Thoses fuses can be hard to find, start looking now.

I would add a battery terminal brush to my list of stuff too. The aluminum light bulb sockets like to corrode and make the lights not work, but a battery brush cleans them up right-quick.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok guys, thanks. I paid 1850.09 and had a friend check it out....its in awesome condition. We will see if the icture works (i am computer illiterate) and If not I will have my boyfriend post them later.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It seems really solid. An old friend of my dads (who of course will be outta town when I go get it) looked it over and called me yesterday. Still, I trust that all will be fairly well and I appreciate everyones help

·
GT Owner
396 Posts
Another GT

Did you look at the GT for sale in Chandler Arizona? It is listed in the Collector Car Trader on line but without a price.

Looks like your trip is roughly 500 miles. You should ask here and on the yahool classic list for people that will be near your route that will help out if you should run into any problems.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
I saw that GT sell on ebay, and it seemed like a pretty good price. But pictures can be deceiving, so it was a VERY good idea to have a friend check it over.

Just so you know, there is a pretty good network of Opel'ers out there, and usually at least one within a reasonable drive who is willing to look over a prospective car and give their "experienced" opinion. And all for the love of the marque. Except Jim M, who might want to charge you a fee (sorry Jim, I couldn't resist a bit of "smooth talkin' used car salesman" bashing!)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah the trip is about 400 miles. The guy in Chandler wanted at least 5000 for his and he really didnt tell me much. As I am going to college next year, I wanted something I could do a little work on....gradually. This car seemed the best canidate. I actually bought the car before having it looked at (not smart I know) but it all panned out fine. The seller is an avid opeler and also has a 69. He put a lot of extras and updates on the car and took really good care of it. It was a daily driver until recently (carseats in a gt arent the most conventional thing) Hes your classic hobbiest who just had the first kid type character and so I trust him. I talked to him extensively before bidding but with no promises because gt's seem to be hot right now and most of them live in the rust belt :( I would restore every one in the world if I could. However, this one seemed perfect (I mean it has its paint issues and a few rust holes in wheel wells ect) but nothing too drastic. I have a feeling that the drive home will go smoothly and I am not going alone anyway. So the countdown to my trip begins.....Opel!Opel!Opel!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Already some great suggestions here so I don't have too much to add but always bring duct tape. Make sure the car has a jack and lug wrench. Mine had a great spare but no jack/wrench when I bought it. You can bring a piece of PVC and some hose clamps that might allow you to make a radiator hose repair if you don't have a spare. I think it was already mentioned but bring a jug of anti-freeze, water, and oil. Lastly, don't get too excited with your new car on the drive back. It's 30 years old so take it easy.
Congratulations and good luck! :cool:
Bodie

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dont worry...I will drive nice.... I am afraid of hurting such a perfect vehicle. I have more respect for this car than anything else on the road including the ferrari I park next to at school. Duct tape is a good point, thanks. I have a friend who put his car back together with the stuff :)

·
115 Posts
Hey Blackbird;
I see in the replies that all the important things have been covered except for a couple of items that are never thought of until they are needed. A jack and a wheel wrench . A spare tire is useless unless you have the proper tools to install it. The original jack for the car doesn't look like much but it works well and doesn't take up much space. Also ensure the wheel wrench fits the lugs installed on the wheels.
Good luck and happy motoring. Will be waiting to hear how your trip went.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi guys! The trip went GREAT!!!!! The car is beautiful and the bst cash I ever spent, and everything held together for the most part. She gets new tires tomorrow, as the old hard cracked things have had it, and the breaks need bleeding and adjustment. Keith was right...... we shouldda brought a notebook. We were driving through santa monica only to hear "dude what kind of car is that.....opel. whats and opel?!?!?....dude looks german to me" followed by older citizens and there "so and so had one when I was in college....I havent seen one in years....they still exsist?" I mean you would think they had seen christ. The car is beautifully perfect for its age, the interior is the worst part, and even that isnt bad. Is there supposed to be some sort of boot on the light lever though? I am getting some hot air there. At any rate, this car is a crowd pleaser ( I mean, mr lane, the guru of old cars wanted to drive it and approved of it, icky breaks and all....I mean "Kate, if you ever get tired of this car call me " approved. ANd the victorious battle cry resounded "Opel!Opel! Opel!" So nothing exploded, burst into flame, had to be pushed ect and all is happy in the land of arizona opels!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again everyone!:D

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
blackbird said:
Keith was right...... we shouldda brought a notebook. We were driving through santa monica only to hear "dude what kind of car is that.....opel. whats and opel?!?!?....dude looks german to me" followed by older citizens and there "so and so had one when I was in college....I havent seen one in years....they still exsist?" I mean you would think they had seen christ. !:D
Driving an Opel is a religious experience. BTW- watch out for other drivers on the road when your on the freeways. Here in Texas, I have almost been run into 3 times by some cowboy driving his pick up pulling up along side of me and trying to figure out what I'm driving. Not to mention all the young dudes who want me to show them the engine in my 71. I have even been followed into parking lots by Harleys and the biker wanting to look at my GT. Have fun:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts