Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 72 Manta, currently has nicely dryrotted 185/70R13's. The rims are not original, but I think they are opel rims. They are seem to be aluminum 4 spoke, and the ceter has a little opel symbol. They seem to be 5.5inch wide.
My buddy works at Pepboys, so I can get a discount on tires there. They have Futura (same as BF goodrich) Super Sport GLS, only in 205/60R13. They look nice, but min rim width is 5.5inch, max is 7.0 inch. Even tho technically my rim will work, will I get crappy handling with that size tire on the small rim? Second, will that size tire cause any interferance? The other option they have is a 185/70R13, but it's just a plain economy tire. It's min rim width is 5in, and max is 6.5.
Any suggestions? will the 205/60 tires work good?

Thanks
-Nick

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
First of all, there were unfortunately no OEM alloy wheels on US Opels. So those wheels are aftermarket with emblems added. No biggie, but I can't really tell if larger tires would rub without knowing the backspacing of the wheels...it makes a huge difference.

I had some Cragar aluminum 'slotted' alloys years ago...only 5.5" wide but with a 2.75" b-space, they rubbed up front with 205/60-13's. Conversely, with widened stock wheels that were 7" wide and had 5" b-spacing, the same tires fit with no clearance issues up front.

I'd go for the 205/60-13's, and although that would not be optimal on your rims (as you deduced), it would be better than the 185/70's in many ways. First off, they're better tires, secondly, they're shorter and should have better clearance and gearing improvement for acceleration, and lastly they should have less sidewall flex which will contribute to better handling and quicker transient response during cornering.

Hope this helps....

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Another option would be the Sumitomo HTR 200 in 195-60-13. I just picked up a pair to try on my GT but don't have them mounted yet. Their treadwear rating is a little higher(harder) than I'd like but at $36 each I figured I'd give them a try. Besides, there aren't many alternatives.

-Travis

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
You're not going to win any races with those tires Travis.....:D

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
I've got to get to the race somehow. I'll put the race tires on when I get there. We can't all afford a custom tow vehicle with sleeping quarters...:)

-Travis

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
No we can't.....that's why mine is sitting in a parking lot unfinished. Some day....

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
I just bought some 215 50 13 sumos to put on my 13 revolutions. I read that they are fairly good street tires that wear well.

I missed the ups guy today. the tires arrived but were not delivered since I wasn't here to sign. I was busy tearing up wiring harnesses under Opelbits critical eyes after we took his now running 69 GT in for inspection.

The tirerack people said if you keep them inflated at 2 pounds under max that they work better as they have a rep of soft sidewalls. Other than TA's there are no other choices in the wider sizes other than the kum's which wear very quickly on the street.

calvin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts