Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this friend who is building a turbocharged SR20DET Nissan engine for use in a '79 Datsun B210. Strictly drag racing. Well last year he bought a Garrett GT3071 ball bearing turbo for his project, but he's not quite done with the engine yet so it was sitting on a shelf collecting dust. After dynoing a few cars at the shop he works at with GT35R turbos on them (making close to 600 hp), he changed his mind on his turbo choice. So I'm going to trade him some fabrication labor for his 'old' turbo.

I took the turbo home yesterday to begin mocking up the turbo exhaust manifold for my Dad's GT convertible. Lo and behold, when I looked at the turbo it was not what it was presented as: The impeller diameter was bigger than the listed size for a GT3071! What gives? A bit of research on Garrett's website shows it has a GT3071 'hot' side and a GT3076 compressor wheel and housing. What all this gibberish means is that I have a compact ball-bearing turbo capable of 500 hp that's going onto a 2.6 Opel CIH engine which is going into a 2200 lb Opel GT. Nur Fliegen ist Schoner!

·
Super Moderator
14,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
benncojr said:
O MY :eek: ...Hang on to your hat Fred....this is going to be very fast!! :D
You ain't kiddin'! I'll have to make sure his life insurance is paid in full before he test drives the car. One beautiful factor in this project is the GT's engine placement. Thinking outside the box for a minute, if you were to remove the radiator firewall and place a custom radiator towards the front grill opening of the car at an angle (like a Corvette), then there would be about 2 feet of open space directly in front of the engine for any turbo manifold and any turbo I wanted! Tons of room! I'm definitely not restricted to mounting it under the intake manifold with that kind of setup. This will be very interesting....

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Bob, if I could interject what I found on Willit? with the engine and tranny crossmembers out, and this is supposition on my part. I would not remove any structual members if at all possible. I do believe the body on Willit? was tweaked by having the crossmembers out while the body work was done on it and numerous trips back and forth to the body shop on wreckers. I would suggest, with the additional power you're gonna have, you will need all the structual integrity already there and then some. Granted you have much more expertise in this area than I do, I'm just relaying what I have seen on Willit? so you will have a heads up on what happened to me.

·
Super Moderator
14,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
namba209 said:
I would not remove any structual members if at all possible.
I hear ya Ron. This car already has a partial cage, 12 gauge steel inner rocker panels, and frame connectors welded in. I also added a crash-structure behind the stock fuel tank....don't like the proximity to the rear panel! The stock front suspension is getting junked, I am building a full custom tubular a-arm suspension setup with rocker-arm actuated coilover shocks up front, it will be wider than the Toyota rear axle out back. Part of that tie-in up front is added bracing which will be welded in place, or bolted where necessary (I plan to add at least 3 if not 4 braces under the engine and tranny tunnel, one will act as a driveshaft safety loop). This car has to deal with the fact it's a convertible first of all, second it needs chassis stiffness because of the revised suspension that's going in there (lots of lateral G's), and third it needs strengthening just to deal with the power!

That said, I'm not too worried about removing the sheet-metal radiator mount!
Even the brake hydraulics are getting revised, in the sense that it will be mounted to the firewall instead of near the headlight area. Plus I need some more room to fit the power steering system and steering quickener.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
14,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A quick peek at the turbo itself. Okay, technically it's a used turbo, but only for 1/2 hour on the dyno. And it made 410 hp at 18 psi. Sweet....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
benncojr said:
It looks very good, and so does the turbo!!
Oops...guess I gotta watch that background, huh? At least it was PG rated.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Well Bob, I guess there's no worries about the structure, good deal. Hopefully others will take similar precautions when the engines get into the higher HP output ranges. Using the info gathered on this site I figured I'd be safe with Willit? only getting into the 160+ HP area. ;)

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Your radiator plan will work, mine is Honda Accord installed like in a vette, everybody shook their heads at that, said it won't work. Well, guess what, it works beautifully. I only turn the fans on if we have to stop or slow down very long in a caution situation. There's two feet of room between the bumper and the bottom tank of the radiator, enough for x-bracing and sliding bumper mounts. On top there is even more room...
Moving the brakes is good, too. How they ever got put up front I'll never guess... That was a must on my car!

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
RallyBob said:
A quick peek at the turbo itself. Okay, technically it's a used turbo, but only for 1/2 hour on the dyno. And it made 410 hp at 18 psi. Sweet....
No complaints here! Actually it's an optical illusion...if you look carefully there's a turbocharger in each picture... :D

Todd

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
RallyBob said:
You sure know how to "pose" 'em, Bob! :rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts