Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
RunOpel
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what the small threaded hole is on this new water pump I got from OGTS?
I have attached two pictures of the water pump. The second picture has the threaded hole. The weep
hole is to the left of the threaded hole. The water pump I removed does not have the threaded hole, of
which I got that water pump from OGTS a few years ago. I will feel real stupid if its something I should
already know.

Thanks for any help :)

Water pump 1.JPG Water pump 2.JPG

·
Registered
892 Posts
Dan you may want to take a close look at it
I just replaced mine a couple months age and It's got the same thing
I'm not sure it goes all the way through as mine has not been a problem since I installed it
It also shows it on there website if you click detail for the pump and look at the pic
My only guess is that if it fits multipal vehicles there may be something that goes there on others and not the gt's
Probably doesn't answer your question but that's all I got my friend

·
Registered
892 Posts
Well you got me curios my old one didn't have it there were nothing in the notes I've saved in my 73 gt book/folder relating to it and I got a fine wire to put in the hole and it appears to go nowhere
Maybe it's a tap to finish drilling to install a zert fitting to grease it LOL
Again that's all I got HTH but I doubt it

·
Can Opeler
3,182 Posts
(Deleted)
I did not see you mention it had a weep hole too.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,056 Posts
Is there a set screw down in that threaded hole? Just a long shot that there is one in the hole to help secure the bearing.....

Can't ever recall seeing a hole like that ever in 40+ years....???

·
RunOpel
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I will have to call Gil tomorrow and find out what that hole is for. Thanks to all who responded.

·
Registered
892 Posts
It's almost impossible to see being that mines installed already but I did take a fine wire and played with the hole and it doesn't feel like there is anything in there. Just a threaded hole that goes no where
I'd be curios as to what Gil says
Were you able to see in the hole Dan?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Good question. I looked at my new one which isn't installed yet. It may a weep hole but why is it tapped and what would be the need for two weep holes? I stuck a nail in it and there is a small open space, then aluminum. It's an odd place for a tapped hole. It looks like a screw would go into it to maybe hold a wire clip but I'm guessing.

·
RunOpel
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You might be right Manta Rallier, but odd though. Especially when I bought and installed a new water pump from OGTS just a few years ago which did not have the threaded hole. There has to be a reason and I shall find out when OGTS opens later. Terry the hole is only as deep as the threads you see. There is solid I'm assuming aluminum where the threads end. Like I said, I'm probably going to feel real stupid when I find out the reason :sneaky:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Nah Dan just because it may seem like something so silly or not really have any importants it's one of things that rather it matters or not there's that need to know anyway mentality
I' think that's why I ask so many odd or unimportant questions sometimes
I just have to know why,what,details And even though the answers I get may not make sense to me at the time, there in there, and eventually come full circle
That's when I get a deep grin and say AH damn that's what they meant son of gun I never would have thought

·
RunOpel
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I just spoke with Gil at OGTS and oddly enough, he wasn't aware of the threaded hole. He said not to worry, the hole will have no affect on performance of the water pump. So there you go, something we learn everyday even if it is trivial.

·
Opeler
2,886 Posts
OPGTS Water pump that I ordered, Christmas 2019, looks the same.

My guess is that the threaded hole is used to test inner and out water pump bearing seals.
Air pressure inserted (applied) via thread hole between the bearing seals.
Loss of air pressure = leak.
Easier than a water test. It is just my guess?

·
RunOpel
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That’s a pretty good guess, I might agree with you. Gil didn’t know nor offer a guess. But your thought makes sense. It does seem to be a heavy duty water pump than a previous version from OGTS. Gil did say that’s why he went with this particular water pump. And I got mine during the Christmas sale too. In fact I’m in the process of installing it now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts