Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new wheels

So while bumming around the mighty internet today I ran across a deal on wheels I couldn't pass up. The wheels on my kadett are in ned of replacing to support a set of lowering shackles and bigger brakes on the front, so I took the plunge.

Now, we all know that there is a bit of an offset issue with most aftermarket wheels. The current wheels on my Kadett are 13x6" and have an offset of 0, for 3" of backspacing. The stock wheels had more back spacing, closer to 4", so I figured I would need a 16x7" wheel with @15mm of offset. Discount tire has 3 or 4 rims with 20mm of offset, which should work fine, but I didn't like any of them much and the cheapest one is $145. Most of the more common wheels have an offset between 38 and 45mm, which would be way too much. In order to get the right offset I would need an inch of spacer, so that's what I got.

I noticed www.metalaction.ca when they started selling on e-bay a while back. At the time, 1" spacers were $70 a pair, but now they are $85 a pair, still not too bad. The ones for a Dodge Neon have the right size center hole to align on the hubs of the Opel, and they fit great.

Now armed with a set of spacers, I could shop around for easy to find wheels, and I found these for $45 each. Even with the spacers, I'm only out $80 each, not too bad.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Well, dude, I got to say that they are fine looking rims. You will be blacking out your drums too make them stand out, I'm sure. But how are you gonna do the fronts? Will the dust shield block well behind them? Just curious.

·
184 Posts
I gotta admit, that's my only gripe with today's rims styles. I've seen some current sport imports where you see more brake hardware than rim. Call me old fashioned, but large "see through" rims and tiny sidewall profiles just looks odd to me. Guess I'm out of sync with the times...

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Odd Opel Guy. you might want to look into longer studs to counter the distance that the spacer is going to eat up and to make sure that the lug nuts have enough thread to grab onto.

Soapbox, I think that a see-through rim on a low profile tire look good *on a properly set up car*. Success is in the details, and taking the time to paint your visible brake parts really helps (so does Brembo calipers and cross drilled rotors, but that is pretty expensive). Also, an impossibly thin sidewall (35 series for example) is both unattractive and impractically easy to dent. 50 and most 45 series tires offer great responsiveness and good ride quality. OK, I'm done.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
short studs

These spacers actualy might need SHORTER studs ot work right. They are the kind that bolt to the existing studs and then have studs of their own that the wheel bolts to. For anything much more than 3/8 of an inch I feel this is the only safe way to go.

As I type the paint is drying on the new hubs, calipers, and drums. When I get the suspension apart for the new bushings and shackles I'll go ahead and treat everything else with POR-15. Hopefully it'll look good. I'm also going to play around with some fifberglass and carbon fiber to make some completely overkill brake cooling ductwork, mostly for effect.

In order to keep the same overall wheel diameter, I went with 205/40-16 tires. They *should* be 1/4" shorter than the originial 155/80-13 tires, but with almost 3" wider contact patch. They also weigh within 2# of the originial wheel/tire combo.

Attachments

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
rims

i found finally instead of trying to find rims that will
fit my gt and that i lke is to hard, as many have found
out over the years. i am going to get some custom rims made up for my gt i found a place were u draw um and theyll make um
pretty cheap too..

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No spacers- Great fit!

Got the wheels and tires today. Mounted one myself to try fitment, (what a pain 40-series tires are!) and the wheels and tires fit the Kadett with no spacers! The outside edge is slightly farther out than stock, but not as far as the current mags on the car. The inner edge does get within 3/4" of the inner rear spring and 1/2" of the parking brake cable, but nothing touches even when I rock the car back and forth. No rubbing at all on the front, plenty of clearance.

They will look a bit funny with the fender flares, but when I finally get them mounted, but I'll use the spacers. For now, I'm gonna get the other three tires mounted tommorrow and all of them balanced and start cruising on the big rims!

I can't wait to try a particular curvy road on the way to work. I may have to put the dual downdraft carb set-up on this weekend. That or the EFI set-up that's gathering dust in the garage.:D

·
Super Moderator
14,062 Posts
Stephen, we need photos! It should look cool seeing 16's on a Kadett, but once you put the flares and spacers on, it should really kick ass.

Now you just need some 11.75" front rotors and 4-pot calipers.......

Bob

·
opel assimilated
145 Posts
dumb ?

This might be a dumb ? but here goes, Do they make any spacers that turn a 4bolt into a 5bolt? I havnt seen any, but then again, I havnt really looked either.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
pics

I guess since the pics didn't show up in this post I'll just edit it to say that while the wheels did fit fine front and rear, there was just the slightest hint of a rub on the body on one side on the rear at full stuff. As a result, these pice are taken with the 1" spacers on the rear and none on the front. Nothing at all touches at any angle I can hit before the tires break loose. I'm VERY pleased with the results.

·
Super Moderator
14,062 Posts
So what's left Stephen? A set of the Steinmetz Kadett flares, maybe a 'rallye' stripe and hood treatment, some big Hella's up front.....

Kadetts are cool. Makes me want to go dig mine out to play.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Seeing that Kadett Wagon brings back memories for me too, it was the first Opel we had in the family. A nice 72 white/red auto 1.9 Kadett Wagon.

·
Opeler
86 Posts
Stephen, VERY nice looking wheels!!! It seems like the overall effect is to 'lighten' the visual weight of the body - aesthetically speaking. Can't wait to see what she looks like with your flares installed! Keep up the good work...

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wheels on GT

Since I might end up driving the GT to Carlisle, I thought I'd post a picture of what my GT looks like with 16" rims and 205/40 tires off the Kadett.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
one more

Last one for now.

Keep in mind that this car will hopefully be at Carlisle with a for sale sign, if anyone's interested. (Hint, Hint, Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink) :rolleyes:

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.