Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello... I am new to this Opel thing. I picked up my first Opel over the weekend - a 68 GT that I got for free. My next door neighbor had it sitting behind his house for the five years that I have lived next to him. The plates show it was last registered in 1986. I was talking with him over the weekend and he said that it had an electrical fire and then he just parked it. He said he just wanted someone to take it away. Well, OK. Anyway I found your site and would like to know the specs on Malcom's GT that is in the Photo Galery. The look is exactly what I want (a different color though). Does anyone know how I can get a hold of the owner or what type of mods he completed on his car??? What targa kit? What ground effect kit? What wing? What seats? Is the rear seat stock or is is from another car? Any help would be appreciated.

·
257 Posts
I found my 69 GT same way. Been sitting for 5 years.

Anything you need call Opel GT Source (ground effects, parts, etc...) Be prepared to spend, spend, spend lots of money to get it right. I've invested around $8000 in the two years it took to get mine where it is and I'm still not finished....Check it out under Stanley's 69 Restoration...

Stanley_P

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
huskers

Thanks Stanley_P. Your ride looks nice. Can you give me more details on your project? What ground effects did you use? How to the ground effects attacth and difficult were they to install? What did you do the suspension and where did you get the parts from?

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am still looking to find out more info on Malcom's Gt in the picture pages.... Anyone know how I can get ahold of Malcom or know any of the specs on the ground effects he chose?

·
GT Resurrectionist
67 Posts
husker said:
Hello... I am new to this Opel thing. I picked up my first Opel over the weekend - a 68 GT that I got for free.
Are you sure it's a 68?? That is kind of a rare car if it is. Have you got pics, of the car?

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Being new to this Opel thing I thought that looking at the date coded pieces would lead me to the correct year of the car. I was wrong. At first appearance (and me being a novice) it looks to be a 68. Split front bumpers, 68 coded tail and side marker lenses, even a rear tail panel with no indent for the license plate. Those were the only things I knew to look at. The owner tells me that the car is a 69 but has yet to produce the title to prove anything... So I guess for now it is up in the air. Because the 68 is so rare I am quite certain it is not a 68. Sorry if I got anybody too riled up.

·
Administrator
10,291 Posts
<<Peaks Gary's interest>>
Husker, Could you send me the VIN, date code from door sticker (If still there) and the production number located on the top of the radiator support (drivers side, where the extra support joins it.). (Should be a stamped number like U 12345)

A couple of guys from Germany and myself have been working on a GT registry for a few years now and we have quite a few numbers to work from. Might be able to verify if it is a true '68 or at least where it sits in the production schedule.

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Snowed out...

Well Gary... those numbers will have to wait as we got our first snow yesterday and I just barely got the tarps covering the GT. I will get them to you though as I am very interrested in knowing exactly what I have. Do the vin tags on the Opels show options like vin tags on other cars do or are they just used to generate a year for the car and a serial number?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts