Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vendor
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another GT auction on BAT. This one is in Alabama. Looks like a nicely done car. I think owners are starting to notice the better prices these cars are bringing, so more will probably start showing up on BAT and other auction sites.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I actually signed up on Bring a Trailer after watching the YouTube videos of this car. Very well done restoration. A lot of upgrades done such as tinted glass and Quartz clock. Thanks for the heads up rrossjr.

·
Vendor
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car was in pretty rough shape when the current owner acquired it. Check out this nice video that shows some of the restoration work.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Nice looking for a re-spray, I little disappointing there wasn't a little more attention to underneath (paint) and all the overspray,
The front suspension will need cleaned up, maybe redone.
What's up with the back side of the rims? how can they look that nice from the outside and be that rusty on the inside?
Throw that crap together and get it out of here LOL
The inside is pretty clean though, not to fond of the screws holding the rear console in
Engine bay is decently clean.
A little more work and she will be very nice

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,881 Posts
This car would be a good description of so close but no cigar. It's close to a restoration but it's not. Bit of a mixed bag. Would be a good start to a fun restoration.

·
Vendor
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I can't agree that this was crap that was thrown together. I think as it stands right now, this is probably a high end driver-better than ~90% of the GTs on the road (in the US, anyway) Not perfect, no doubt, but better by far than the white one that sold for $17K. Let's see where it lands...

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Watch the Youtube videos if ya'll think it was thrown together. He did invest some time and effort into this Gt. And never saw him on this site either.

·
Vendor
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
One other thing I forgot to mention. I asked the owner where he sourced the new windshield, and he said he got a Pilkington from Summit Racing. I didn't find them on their web site, but I was wondering if these are a different run than the ones that had fitment issues.
Also, he went with LED headlights. In one of the videos, you can see how much brighter they appear-even compared to the halogens.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Watch the Youtube videos if ya'll think it was thrown together. He did invest some time and effort into this Gt. And never saw him on this site either.
I'm not saying or insinuating he didn't.
My throw that crap together and get it out of here, comment, was generalized humor. Same as you may hear me say take pride in what you hide
As it related to the over spray underneath and the front suspension and other little things seen and mentioned.
Just nit picky observations and nothing more, The body is solid from what I see and over all in really good shape as well as the rest of that car in & out

Reactions: soybean

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,881 Posts
I'll be surprised if it doesn't reach at least $15k.

I haven't seen a properly restored GT for sale on BaT. I wonder what a restored strato blue would bring.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
yep People are waiting till the last day I bet and then it will be fun to watch

·
Vendor
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll be surprised if it doesn't reach at least $15k.

I haven't seen a properly restored GT for sale on BaT. I wonder what a restored strato blue would bring.
Even the seller in this auction refers to a "refurbishment" rather than a restoration. I guess it really depends on what the buyer is looking for. If you ae seeking a concourse level nuts and bolts restoration, you are unlikely to bid on this car. If you are looking for a upper tier driver that you would not be ashamed to take to a local show, then this (or something similar) is probably the car you want. I think the BAT record for an Opel is still the silver GT with the remote turbo Miata engine that sold a couple years ago for $35K. There were a few mostly stock or mildly modified GTs that sold for $17-20K and about a dozen that exceeded $10K. If that white GT with the cracked dash, broken mirror, and shredded headliner is worth $17K, this car should bring close to $20 (IMHO)

·
Registered
71 Posts
FWIW, $20k is the bar I had mentally set for this one as well; I wouldn’t be surprised to see if go a bit higher. That white one had quite spirited bidding in the final half hour or so…

·
Vendor
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We need to find out who this Opel lover is. He needs to be on the forum.
An earlier comment from the buyer during the white 1973 auction seemed to indicate that he may now have 3 GTs. Hopefully he will join us here, if he hasn't already done so.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
MAN this person has opel play money I wish I had LOL
That's awesome it went that high
I knew they were larking in the shadows till the last moment

·
Registered
650 Posts
Pretty strong money for what it is. Nice car, but there are a couple dents in the hood that were there when it was painted. Personally, I could not paint over dents. Pretty small, so maybe a PDR guy could take them out. As others have noted, a little more care could have been taken during refurbishment.

This is good for the Opel hobby. I still believe they are undervalued as of today.

I didn't buy my GT to make money on (we use investments for that... a lot less speculative) but wouldn't bother me to see it go up in value.

I said the same thing about C3 Corvettes being under valued a few years back (at least the chrome bumper cars), and a lot of guys thought I was nuts.
They were the red headed step child of the Corvette world. Now, the early C3s are really climbing in value. I still don't care for the 74-82 C3s.

Don't get me wrong; not all of my predictions come true.

·
Vendor
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pretty strong money for what it is. Nice car, but there are a couple dents in the hood that were there when it was painted. Personally, I could not paint over dents. Pretty small, so maybe a PDR guy could take them out. As others have noted, a little more care could have been taken during refurbishment.

This is good for the Opel hobby. I still believe they are undervalued as of today.

I didn't buy my GT to make money on (we use investments for that... a lot less speculative) but wouldn't bother me to see it go up in value.

I said the same thing about C3 Corvettes being under valued a few years back (at least the chrome bumper cars), and a lot of guys thought I was nuts.
They were the red headed step child of the Corvette world. Now, the early C3s are really climbing in value. I still don't care for the 74-82 C3s.

Don't get me wrong; not all of my predictions come true.
Lynn, I don't think anyone will ever get rich buying and selling Opels, but decent driver quality cars are pretty regularly fetching $10K in well trafficked auction sites like BAT. That was a pretty unreachable number even a few years ago, so the trend is pretty clear...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts