Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nitrous

Anybody added nitrous? On the quest for 150mph since I added the Rohnret header (sp) with 4 into 2 into 1 pipes set up with the larger tubes (1-7/8th )and much longer collector I think that I have lost quite a bit of lower end.

The shop that I had one of my blown out cannon intakes repaired and beefed up upon hearing my complaints of lack of lower end suggest I a say a small bit of nitrous (50) with the understanding it not be used till the car is rolling to save the rear end.

On one hand I was thinking about putting my two headers together by using the longer collector from the rohnret on the shorty header I had with the 1-½ inch pipes as opposed to the 1 7/8 pipes of the rohnret to help bring back some lower end if I have to as I use lower end far more than top end

Though I have not had a chance to truly explore the top end potential of the Manta with the rohnret
Say 5miles of open hwy no traffic and no cops which is hard to find in the inner city of a large metro like where I live I think from the short chances I have had to get up 5 and 6 thousand rpms that it might be worth keeping as is.

I know a roller cam might help to but the vague thought of nitrous did fleetingly cross my mind

So just how bad is nitrous for our cars?

c

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
im a little confused here as i thought nitous only came on at full throttle
if so its not going to help with low down touque for normal use just when you give it full boot:(
as for how bad it is just :) and buy a few spare rear ends

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
it works by injecting NO2 and gas through a fogger plate under your carb
if the mix is lean you have a meltdown, if its rich you get a ton of black smoke and waste a ton of money , if its right you waste a ton of money but have a big smile (money wasted on tires, gas, nitrous and clutch plates):)

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
calvin said:
So just how bad is nitrous for our cars?
Nitrous is not inherently bad if set up correctly. A 50 hp shot may not sound like much compared to what some V8's run, but relative to the stock hp of an Opel it's substantial. So you have to keep in mind these factors if running nitrous, especially on a more 'built' engine.

>You will probably have to run one heat range colder spark plug than you have right now. This works great with nitrous, but off the bottle the plugs may foul in stop'n'go driving.

>You will have to either run higher octane fuel, or more likely retard your ignition timing 4-6 degrees. Again, with nitrous it's safe and makes power, but off the NOS the response will be 'soggy' at best.

>Webers need 3.5 psi of fuel pressure. Nitrous solenoids generally need a constant supply of 6 psi fuel. So if your current fuel pump is a low psi pump for Webers, you'll need a higher pressure pump to feed both the fuel solenoid for the nitrous system, and then to a regulator to feed the Webers the lower pressure they desire.

Lastly, those 305 Chevy pistons have a VERY short upper ring land (the area above the top compression ring) in their original form. When they are modified to fit the 1.9-2.4 stroker engine, another .027" is milled off the top of the piston, shortening the distance even more. That said, forced induction or nitrous-fed engines need a taller upper ring land to better dissipate the heat created in the combustion chamber. So the pistons in your engine are not ideal for a nitrous application. Either a lean condition or a 'death-rattle' from detonation can destroy the upper rings, and melt or distort the ring land area. FWIW....

Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nitrous isn't bad for our cars....if your engine can take it....most old Opel engines wont be able to but if you have a clean, rebuilt, powerful engine under the hood, Go for it. But I wouldn't try it unless your sure in the ability in your engine cause if your engine cant take....you hear a lot of parts hitting the road when you hit the switch. Just a heads up and know what to expect. I definitly considered nitrous, but relized my engine couldn't take it, so now im going to try an engine swap.... we'll see what happens next. Plus, nitrous can cost you some big money depending on how often you plan on using it. You can get kits for around $500 but it can cost you $75 each time to fill the bottle, depending on where you fill it. If you decide to use nitrous and it works, let me know, it might make me change my mind. :)

Tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts