Opel GT Forum banner

No lights!!!

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  PROPEL 
#1 ·
My GT got pretty water logged on Monday evening coming back up to school. Its about a 60 mile trip and it rained most of the way. Thank you Rain-X! But anyway, I was going out to dinner last night and drove a few hundred yards when I realized my dash lights were not on. I pulled over and none of the exterior lights were either. The marker lights and dash lights work with the switch in the dash but no headlights. I checked fuses and they are all good. I’m going to give it a couple of days to dry out before doing anything drastic like pulling out a headlight bucket. Hopefully it will work then but most likely not, this type of thing doesn’t usually fix itself. Anybody else have a similar problem after getting rained on? Is my problem most likely with the switches behind the headlight or does anyone have any other things I should check?

Matt

#2 ·
I have the same problem. We just went thru hurricane Rita here in Houston. While we faired pretty well, the wind and rain was sorta intense at times. Tried to drive last night, and the headlights wouldn't come on. Only the marker lights were working. Could this be moisture related?

#4 ·
yippy

Went out and tried the lights again just now and they work! Before I tried them I flipped the lights part way open and jiggled them by hand into the almost open position. There must have just been a thin film of dirt or corrosion on the contacts in the switch that cleared by opening and closing them a few times. Hopefully they will continue to work, im driving back home again in a couple of hours and it is of course its raining again. Wish me luck :rolleyes:

#5 · (Edited)
Sometimes she lights, some time she dont!

Yep the infamous GT lighting system, guaranteed to leave you without light someday when you most need them!!! I spent about two 1/2 days tearing the lighting system down, soaking the light actuator mechanisms in kerosene and liberally lubing all moving parts ect... When I put them back together all worked as advertised. Then about one week later I noticed the light were on all the time, up or down. So I figured screw it for now I'll leave the buckets up and drive with the lights on all the time rather than take the drivers side bucket and actuator out to get after that switch. As Murphy would have it driving one day and the lights were out??? I rotated the buckets and the white in transit light works, but no head lights??? Now I'm confused if I have a bad switch and or relay??? The rotating headlights are a cool feature and genious in engineering, however the design of switches you can't get at to adjust or test without removing actuator or bucket SUCKS Period!!!! I realize they engineers didn't want us to drive with the lights on and buckets closed, but they could have come up with a better mouse trap than this....Yesterday when I drove the car the headlights worked again weather up or down and white transit light functions normal????So in this mode I would think I had a stuck headlight switch in the on position?

I'm going to have to modify mine to either fixed recessed lights with cover or those that rotate via lineer actuator and wired so I can turn the lights on and off from the panel. The switches on the back of the actuator have worked for many years some would argue, but Its a very weak point in the wiring system and something we all need to drive. I'll never trust mine again untill I do make some kind of change, Period!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.