Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
3,910 Posts
I've been thinking about this one. A spun bearing shouldn't change your oil pressure unless it completely let go of it. I would try a few things before I tore it apart. I would pull the distributor to see if your oil pump is able to turn and then turn it manually to see if you have anything. You can unscrew the filter and put a bucket under it to tell. If you have oil then tear it apart. No oil, reprime your pump and see what happens with oil. Your Dad may have just ran it dry. If so the suggestions I made cost you nothing to try. This is a 1.9 motor isn't it?

Just tryin to save you some trouble

· Banned
3,910 Posts
That's why I recommended to pull distributor first. No spark and if motor is damaged you don't need to keep spinning it, just the pump. I agree that it would be best to replace the bearings. Then again I was young and working on opels once. If I could keep my ride going until I could afford to rebuild it I did just that. It's nice to have a budget for what is for most of us, a hobby. Until somebody says different most of the younger people on this forum seem to be using the opels as almost daily drivers. I think it is great, but I also remember how tough it can be. When I did it I lived in the middle of nowhere, no internet and C&R was it for parts. Then again the car was 25 years newer to.

I hope it does turn out to be an easier fix. Just thinkin positive thoughts.

· Banned
3,910 Posts
Another idea. What happens if that nylon cam bolt breaks? I had it happen and the cam floats around, made some bad noises when the cam barely caught the lifters. I don't remember what happened to the oil pressure but if the half moon groove isn't restricting it, the pressure could go up or down couldn't it? Put another spacer bolt in that one and it was good for quite a few more miles.

Maybe it's just me but I look for the stupid stuff first. While I'm doing that I either get the good or bad news. I plan for the worst but I do get the occassional suprise, that things aren't as bad as they first seemed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.