Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did these engines originaly come with a valve on the fuel line to stop it from going back to the tank or filter or wherever?

When the car is parked for a couple of days, it takes some time to get it started. I asume its just that the fuel either goes back or evaporates in the carb since it starts right up if i sprinkle some gas into the barell. I know some cars have this little plastic valve just after the small filter so once the fuel goes through it, it can't go back the other way.
I think i'll be looking for that part, it might fix my problem.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Sven, The one way valve may not help as the fuel is probably evapourating from the fuel bowl due to the high under hood temperatures these cars experience when they are shut down. The only real cure is a low pressure, electric fuel pump that starts pumping when the key is turned on so that the carb can be filled before trying to start the engine. There needs to be a circuit that turns the pump off in case of an accident though for safety sake so it does not keep pumping fuel if there is an accident.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still have the electric fuel pump that Otto sent me, i didn't put it in because i wanted to fix up the car a bit more and got a new mechanical pump in the meantime. I'll use that one then. A car that won't start from the first try just gives me a bitter feeling, its not pleasant.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts