Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
opel assimilated
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need help to get to work!!!

AAGGHHH!!! I went to start my car this morning and warm it up before work, and it started fine, ran for awhile, then died and wouldnt start. i checked everything tonight and it gets gas, oxygen of course, but the spark is REALLY weak and intermittent. It has a new coil as of 6 months ago, and a brand new battery as of 1 month ago. Any ideas? i need it to get to work tomorrow. Please help me..... :confused:

·
Kalifornia Kid
551 Posts
1. Check to make sure you have about 9 volts at the (+) side of the coil, when the key is in the "ON" position, assuming you have points.
1a. You should see 12V+ if you have electronic ignition, unless you could states otherwise.
Note: some coils want 12V+, others require a external resistor to drop the volltage.
2. If not, use a small jumper lead from the 12V+ terminal of the battery to the coil (+) terminal. This will give the coil full power temporarily, (even with the key off" so be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Then see if you get better spark.
3. Check for spark coming out of the coil itself, not just at the plugs.
4. You could find moisture in the cap & rotor
5. You could find dirt inside the distributer.
6. Make sure the rotor turns when the starter turns the engine.
But if you have gas, and the choke is working, it should start right away.
DG

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Points or electronic? Check the cap and rotor too.

·
opel assimilated
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the crane ignition, and I am running to the store to get a voltmeter right now. All help is GREATLY appreciated.

·
opel assimilated
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked the spark at the coil wire. its like static

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I've seen this before, what coil is on it?

·
opel assimilated
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It measured 9 volts with the key on at the positive side of the coil. But I have the crane setup, should it read 12, and what could be interfering with it. as for the coil nobody, I cant remember the brand, but it is yellow. (not that that helps you) :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Yellow coils are accels. and you went over the 30,000 volt coil rule. Do you still have points and condensor for it?

·
opel assimilated
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no points or condensor, but the crane from ogts. and what is the 30000 rule? :confused: Thanks for the help Nobody :)

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
If your coil is over 30000 output your crane is shot. I could posts pics of how I did the exact same thing if you'd like.

·
opel assimilated
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes, i would love to see them. could you pm me your phone # so I could call you? I am out at the car and the computer is inside. Thanks Nobody, I understand if you do not want a call.

·
Non Civilian
2,091 Posts
how long would a crane last using over 30k? ive got a 50k crane on my gt and it has been ok for 6 months, till i cracked a piston.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
first off Chris which model Crane? if it's a 500 or 700 you are lucky to get to 6 months. It won't hold up to that coil. Shawn and I were both lucky that it melted down at home but running a high volt coil will cook both pertronics and Crane ignitions. Do whatever you want but this is the 4th time I've explained that the electronic ignition and high volt coils do not play well together. Neither Crane or pertronics will tolerate a coil that produces over 30000 for very long.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
if your crane is fried try going to a local VW shop to get the pertronix ignitor with a less powerfull coil if you must have the car tomarrow. pertronix will then probably hit you up for 70 or so, while a coil should be around 20.

·
Opeler
139 Posts
I am confused as to why less then 30000 volt coil for a pertronix. I have a 40000 volt pertronix flamethrower on my car, which they recommend.

Wayne

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
I'm also wondering a bit about the 30k limit...I ran an XR-700 trigger with a Jacob's piggyback computer w/ 60k coil for 9 years on a daily driver Opel with no issues. Maybe you've just had a run of bad luck? Or I had a run of good luck?

Bob

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
how would the Ohm rating come into affect with electronic ignitions and coils?

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Belts & Braces

I have ALWAYS carried a complete points distributor in the car incase of emergencies. Call me old fashioned, but I have never completely trusted electronic "ghizmos" even though I am a CNC lathe programmer/operator!

Points will get you home, even if you have to rub the contact faces on a rock.
Electronics either work ... or don't. :eek:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts