Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nedd a little more help. I finally got the 2.2 FI in but it won't start. I get a lot of popping and farting but no starty:confused: I'm getting fuel because I can hear it returning to the tank. I'm also getting spark to the plugs, at least at the #1. Is there any suggestions on what I can do next.

Arnold

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was reading some of the other threads about factory Fuel injection and correct fuel pressure. That might be my problem. Not enough pressure from my fuel pump. I don't have a pressure gauge so I have to run out and get on to check it out.

·
Curve Crazy GT
399 Posts
Just a guess...

Mabey its the Timing u may want to check that..??:confused:

chris

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I will check it. When I put the plug wires on I put my finger in the #1 spark plug well and turned the crank until I felt pressure. Then I advanced the crank until I got the ball centered in the window. The reason for the centering is because when I looked close the pointer was not their. Don't know if It was broken off or what, so I just centered the ball and started by seeing where my rotor was pointing and made that my number #1 and then followed the firing sequence from there. I don't have a timing light but I might be able to borrow one.

Arnold

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
bmetsoldier said:
Thanks I will check it. When I put the plug wires on I put my finger in the #1 spark plug well and turned the crank until I felt pressure. Then I advanced the crank until I got the ball centered in the window. The reason for the centering is because when I looked close the pointer was not their. Don't know if It was broken off or what, so I just centered the ball and started by seeing where my rotor was pointing and made that my number #1 and then followed the firing sequence from there. I don't have a timing light but I might be able to borrow one.

Arnold
hi arnold where was the rotor arm when you set it up like this 10 o'clock or 4 o'clock as the timing is for #4 cylinder and 4 o'clock so it may just be the timing out 180 deg (i think we have all done this the first time we set up the timing )

·
tomking
2,484 Posts
You are close Arnold! It sounds like a timing issue to me too. You know the Europeans number cylinders differently than we do here? Their number 1 cyinder is the one closest to the firewall whereas we would call that one number 4.... I think Baz could be right about it being 180 out.

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to try and switch the wires around starting at the firewall with number one and see what happens. I'll be back in 5 mike mikes

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went out and discovered a major gas leak. Repaired the leak and I switched the wires starting in sequence from the back. I tried to start it and it blew the breather hose to the air filter right of the throttle body. You think now I am 180 out.

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK I switched the wires back and tried it one more time. Got a different sound this time. I sounded like it almost started (maybe that was me having wishful thinking):) but then the battery ran down. I put the charger on it and I'll try again in the morning.

Arnold

·
Bo Know's '69's
255 Posts
I had the same trouble with my '69. Make sure the needle/ball are aligned and this puts #4 at TDC (closest to firewall). Adjust your valves starting with #4 and continue adjusting valves in the in correct firing order. (mine was 1342) Believe me, i did it 3 times before my engine fired and run smooth. #4 at 5 oclock, #2 at 8, #1 at 11, #3 at 2. Well pretty close to that position anyway. HTH

Bo

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you saying that it was in proper sequence when it blew the breather off. Now I don't know if this has any bearing on the problem or not but their is not an exhaust system on the car yet. Just a exhaust manifold.
And again I dont have a pointer the elfs carried it away:rolleyes: so I just centered the ball in the window. So let me recap: When the rotor is at 4 o'clock that's the #4 cylinder at it's at the front of the engine by the radiator. Then work myself around the normal sequence?

Arnold

·
Bo Know's '69's
255 Posts
#4 is at the firewall. #1 is at the radiator

Bo

·
Bo Know's '69's
255 Posts
Good luck I had 2 batteries and had to keep both charged. LOL

Bo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts