Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Saab Story
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just a quick header: A: I know this is an Opel Forum, but it's a similar platform and you folks have been an invaluable wealth of info so far, so here goes. B: I recently made the mistake of hiring a cut rate guy off craigslist to replace the clutch. When he reassembled everything, he didn't torque down many of the bolts sufficiently much less to spec and no locktite was used either. I have been finding loose bolts ever since and have just been addressing them as I find them. This my be a contributing factor.

The vehicle in question is a 1997 Saab ng900s 2.3 NA with a 5 speed standard trans. I was driving a few counties away from home when my clutch cable snapped. I didn't have the extra funds for a 200 mile flatbed ride, so I wound up rev matching and shifting without the clutch as I finished my business and headed home. I made it almost back, but as I was driving I noticed that I was loosing the ability to either get into or stay in first 3rd gear, then 3rd and 4th. Soon only 1st, 2nd and 5th were usable. Then, when I was just a mile from home my good fortune finally gave out. I was pulling away from an intersection, 1st and 2nd were fine as usual. Then I went for 4th, it being a residential street. No luck, it wouldn't go in. Not even a grind, I try 3rd no luck or even a grind there either. At this point I try getting it into any gear at all before I hold up traffic. A few grinds but even just trying to force it in to any gear at all does nothing what so ever. Then suddenly, without any noise or warning the gearshift seized basically at perfectly centered neutral. I've looked under the hood to try and figure it out. I pulled the shifter linkage off of the input shaft coming out of the transmission behind the bell housing and tried to get any type of movement out of the input shaft. It's not budging so much as a millimeter. I've tried every manor of hitting, twisting, jiggling, prying, shaking, verbal negation, bribery, prayer etc... It's just not willing to move. I spent 3 hours yesterday trying any and every method I could dream up. Despite all of it I wasn't able to get any improvement at all. I don't have any clue where to go from here. Really hoping I didn't destroy my transmission. Does anyone have any ideas of anything I can try or look into to make some progress? Because right now I want nothing more than to fix this and I'm having to fight myself on going back out and sinking more hours into it trying the exact same **** over and over again. Thanks so much for any suggestions!

·
Über Genius
9,084 Posts
Not knowing anything about your transmission, but knowing Saabs are normally FWD, I can say the following.

My son bought a Dodge Avenger that had a similar shifting issue. The shifter was cable driven.

The cables were held into their housing with a simple U clip like the one below

It had come out and allowed the shifter cable to slop around.

We put in a new clip and the car ran another 20,000 or so miles before he sold it.

·
1000 Post Club
4,110 Posts
I am a former Sabber myself. I had a 2001 Saab 9-5 V6. Drove it to 273,000+ miles before the rust monster and rear bushings gave out. I just retired it in July of this year. Great Car.

I would suggest going to saabcentral.com. They have a bunch of info and they helped keep my Saab on the road!!

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts