Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lockdowns and Christmas have meant idle hands - i've reached the point where i've pulled enough off that I may as well go all the way (y) I've never wanted to do body work myself. It seems all too easy to ruin all the hard work because I was too stubborn to ask a pro for help.
  • I want to paint the whole car, including engine bay. At some point the car was badly painted (red over the original strato blue). It looks 'ok' from 30 feet but up close you can see the runs.
  • There are a couple of poorly 'owner done' bondo patches near a wheel arch. I suspect that's to try to and cover a minor accident rather than rust given the rest of the car. Still, who knows until you remove the paint!
  • There are a few minor dings and dents
  • I'd like to fill in the antenna hole on the front wing
I'm in San Jose but very happy to drag the shell to a reputable shop. Would love any recommendations.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Well my suggestion is not for everybody. I looked around when I still lived in the bay area of San Francisco. Concord to be exact. I was ready to to have my GT painted. I went around to several paint pros and was in shock at the price. They wanted $5000.00+ to paint it. I finally decided that I could do it myself. I did it in poly urethane which is a two step process. First is the color coat (Chrome Yellow) then within 24 hours, you must put the clear coat over the color coat. Did it come out OK, yes it came out better than any expectations I had. It wasn't really difficult. the biggest thing is keeping the spray gun moving at all times. Yes I had to buy a ton of wet and dry sand paper, a sanding block made for cars, an HVLP spray gun, and I had to borrow another compressor, I already had a 125 PSI compressor, and the one I borrowed was exactly the same. Rigged the compressors into one line so all the air would go to the paint sprayer. Put the color coat on, no runs, no mistakes. the next morning I put the clear coat over the color coat. The clear coat is a catalyst pint that need to be mixed and shot within an hour of mixing. No problem because the paint gun would only hold a quart. After the GT was painted with the clear coat I wondered if I mixed it right, because it appeared that it did not dry. I reread the instructions again, yep that's the way I mixed it. Finally got up enough nerve to touch the paint and see what happened. The paint was completely dry and just looked wet. I did the whole job under $1000.00 a saving of $4000.00+. It was not that hard to do, just remember to keep the spray gun moving all the time. You can see my GT and the paint job in the picture section of this site. When you go to "My Show Case" and then type in "Bobby's Girl" I think you will say "I can do it too". All the mistake with the clear coat can be sanded out with 600 grit wet and dry sandpaper then go back over it with 1500 grit sandpaper. Almost forgot, Primer, primer, primer. My GT took a lot of primer, Get all the dings out using primer and 600 grit wet and dry sandpaper and lots of water. When you think it's done, do it again. It should be as smooth as a baby. Then when all that is done, it's time for the color coat. Then either spray the clearcoat a couple hours later (up to 24 hours) Also improvise a "spray booth" I Just put a cover over the side driveway.

If you have more money than skills, I would recommend Ned's Auto body shop in Concord. They do a great job.

Bob

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great colour and well executed - congratulations and thanks for the shop recommendation.

Finding a space is as much a challenge as my fear of screwing it up. Perhaps time to buy lots of plastic, tape and a pair of big boy pants :unsure:

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
818 Posts
When I had my painted back in 1999 it never occured to me that I could do that myself. I assumed it was like an art form or a developed skill over time but I guess these days if you have the right equipment and watch enough youtube videos it is in fact possible to get the results that Bob got as the shine on that finish is unmistakable. Go for it......Good luck. Carl

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Carl and aserpa: I guess being a cheapskate is part of the equation. When I was in high school I painted flames on my friends cars, they gave me whatever they could afford. Then came Danny he had a brand new GTO and he wanted gold flames painted his car. I told him that I didn't know if I could do it. He said the flames I put on friends cars were great and he would give me $100.00 to do it. Well he got the best flames in the country side. I used an air brush, it was the third time I had done so. They came out great and Danny loved them. That's when I started painting for profit. The ghost flames on my GT are a combination of red, orange, and yellow. The paint shop that bought sandpaper, paint, and primer from gave me the paint for the ghost flames. Didn't use much. The guys in the paint shop just wanted to see how they came out. Haven't painted a car since I did my GT. That was years ago, but I still remember all the things that need to be done. The prep work is the number one priority. The painting is simple, like I said before "keep the spray gun moving and you will do fine".

Bob

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
818 Posts
Carl and aserpa: I guess being a cheapskate is part of the equation. When I was in high school I painted flames on my friends cars, they gave me whatever they could afford. Then came Danny he had a brand new GTO and he wanted gold flames painted his car. I told him that I didn't know if I could do it. He said the flames I put on friends cars were great and he would give me $100.00 to do it. Well he got the best flames in the country side. I used an air brush, it was the third time I had done so. They came out great and Danny loved them. That's when I started painting for profit. The ghost flames on my GT are a combination of red, orange, and yellow. The paint shop that bought sandpaper, paint, and primer from gave me the paint for the ghost flames. Didn't use much. The guys in the paint shop just wanted to see how they came out. Haven't painted a car since I did my GT. That was years ago, but I still remember all the things that need to be done. The prep work is the number one priority. The painting is simple, like I said before "keep the spray gun moving and you will do fine".

Bob
You know Bob, I still think there is some artistic quality involved to get such great results, especially the first time. I also wear a badge of honor,like yours, that says, "CHEAP", or frugal perhaps is a better word, in any regard if I can do it myself I usually do, for two reasons - every dollar I can save I can spend that dollar somewhere else and most times I find that I care more about the outcome of any given project much more than your average provider. Even as an employee I cared that things were done the right way, unlike so many people that just so as little as needed to get by. So that is part of the reason that I am still not finished with my one year project that is now going on 26 years but also a big part of that, like everyone else, is that there is no schedule that you can really stick to, major life events, or just life in general seem to get in the way and slow progress to a snails pace. And ever time I look at the OGTS catalog I realize there are many, many, things left to do and of course none of them are easy, or cheap. Actually, I recently found one thing that was in fact easy to do, just one thing, changing the fan belt. Straight forward, easy, and simple.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
The last thing I need to do is put in the new heater core. I got one from Gil for $69.00. That is the last thing my GT needs. I went to Kool April Nites. took a wrong turn going to the show site. My windows were fogged up, couldn't see anything because it was raining cats and dogs. after sitting in a church parking lot, i called my buddy to find out how to get to the show site. It only took me another hour to get to the show, but I mad it. I swore that I was going to get a good heater core do it would never happen again. I got the last heater vents that some guy was selling. They are perfect, tto bad I got tje las ones he had. Think they cost my $30.00. So I guess I have to get busy and install it.

Bob

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,707 Posts
Eventually, I plan to do all the body work and paint myself. It will be a fun, time consuming, and new experience for me. I think the vast majority of a good paint job is just taking the time to do it right. The body work takes a lot of time to strip the paint, deal with with any rust that's found, then primer, filler and sanding. That can take hundreds of hours. Then painting can take a long time. With YouTube, you can learn how to do all of this.

Considering how expensive everything is in California, I'd recommend considering DIY or take it to a shop outside of Cali. If you do it yourself, you can work at it until it's right.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,566 Posts
Call a Maaco or visit their website. They have set prices that are the same at all their shops. Paint is paint and they're all about the same. The key with Maaco's is to tape off or strip the car yourself. I take it that, since you want the engine bay painted that you have the engine removed. Does that mean that you also have the glass and other parts removed also? Of course, the best way to have any car painted is to have all the parts stripped off with just the front and rear suspension still attached. EVERYTHING, headlights, glass, the door guts, EVERYTHING. See my last post and the previous earlier pics in my Gordo's Gullwing Adventure thread.

In my case, $1500 for a full exterior and engine compartment blasting and epoxy priming. Then I'm anticipating about $1500-$2000 for a lot of puttying at a Maaco and one of their midrange or possibly best paint jobs.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Only the best Gordon, you are just going to do this paint job once and you don't want to skimp. I can just hear it later down the road, wish I had not settled on the preferred paint service, wish now that I had of gone with the Premium Paint Service, go for it...............after all you do like shiny, right?

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,566 Posts
I'm just doing what is prudent for where I live. We have high humidity and morning dew every day. Us New Jersians have to go full nuclear when it comes to rust prevention. I never actually tried Maaco's "Premium" paint job but I'm going to give it a try this time. Usually I opt for their "Preferred" paint job. My car is usually the shiniest car at most car shows. This is partly because I kill time by applying various "show and shine" oil-based products while at shows. Mainly the reason my car shines so good is because of the weekly hand polishing.

Their Preferred jobs cost about $600 and their Premium costs $1200. Mine will need a considerable amount of body putty hours, so I really don't fit perfectly into either category. I do know that I would like to get either several coats of paint or several coats of clear. I can't really make the decision until they and I see what the car looks like after blasting. I have to be financially prudent and be realistic that this car is a salvage job that has been "unmodified".

·
Opeler
1,318 Posts
I'm just doing what is prudent for where I live. We have high humidity and morning dew every day. Us New Jersians have to go full nuclear when it comes to rust prevention. I never actually tried Maaco's "Premium" paint job but I'm going to give it a try this time. Usually I opt for their "Preferred" paint job. My car is usually the shiniest car at most car shows. This is partly because I kill time by applying various "show and shine" oil-based products while at shows. Mainly the reason my car shines so good is because of the weekly hand polishing.

Their Preferred jobs cost about $600 and their Premium costs $1200. Mine will need a considerable amount of body putty hours, so I really don't fit perfectly into either category. I do know that I would like to get either several coats of paint or several coats of clear. I can't really make the decision until they and I see what the car looks like after blasting. I have to be financially prudent and be realistic that this car is a salvage job that has been "unmodified".
More clear coats = more protection from UV, more layers to the paint for scratches and more depth to the color making it looks wet. Couple coats of color and several clear would be the ticket. Just watch a show on MotorTrend network and you’ll always hear about how many coats of color vs clear they do. And what the reason for it is, depending on the type of paint (solid, metal flake, etc) they use.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
When I was rebuilding my GT it became time to paint it. I took it to Maaco, they told me they don't do that. Granted this was years ago, is it up to each Maaco shop, or is it company policy? Ended up doing it myself, came out good no can believe that I did it myself.

Bob

·
Registered
818 Posts

Hey Gordon, I don't think that I am familiar with " show and shine oil based products can you tell me a little more about that as all I have ever used is the carnauba wax like mother's, etc. What is your favorite/best results product. Also wanted to get your opinion if you have used the ceramic products on the market and what is your opinion of those. I watched a video a while back that said the ceramic product by turtle wax was superior to many others. I have never tried it but have been hearing abot it and wanted to get some opinions from those that have in fact tried them. Thanks, Carl

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.