Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Opel-ing since '74
1,141 Posts
Hi Tom
We probably won't be leaving from my house until 3:00pm at the earliest - Dave has a big order to complete before he can leave work.
Yes - we will be taking I-80 - it makes more sense going that way.
Rick

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,484 Posts
I hate to be the guy that bails, but we're going to have to miss your meet Ron. I am very sorry!

I have not been getting paid since June, and at this point, we're pretty broke. I've been doing some side work to fill the gap a little, but it hasn't been the same as a steady paycheck. I have a job here now that I really need to finish, so I need to work on it.

Also, I was riding my motorcycle last week and had a little incident. I was behind a Peterbilt tri axle dump truck and he decided to slam the brakes on because he missed his turn. I came to a safe stop behind him just in time for him to engage reverse gear and back up right over my bike while I was still on it. It sucked my bike up into the wheel well between the top of the tires and the underside of the dump body. I was lucky enough to not get seriously injured, however, I have never been more scared in my life. The battle has started with the insurance company and I need to get it settled.

I feel very badly about missing your meet, especially since you always make it to ours. I hope you understand our situation.

Duane :sigh:

·
1,099 Posts
I got an account of Duane's misadventure from Rick earlier tonight. First off, it sounds terrifying and second, thank goodness he's here to talk about it. I can only imagine those doolies in your face. I have a strong opinion but nobody should want to talk about anything here if there's a legal matter to be resolved.

I am holding out a little hope to make it out to Ron's, because I really need it myself, but it's fading. I was all set to bring my fishing gear and maybe teach a kid a thing or two, but I have two big items due Monday and a massive thing due Wednesday I'm only starting on which means I've got to work this weekend.

I don't know what it means when some people have lost their jobs, others work without getting paid and others of us who are working are literally getting sick from the overload and stress.

But I wish all my Opel friends going through a tough run the very best.

Jim

·
587 Posts
Sorry You guys can't make it. Ron or I didn't check the site last night. We were out getting ready for the party.

Duane, sorry to hear about your accident. At least you're alright. My brother is a PenDot employee in Harrisburg, so I know about the paycheck issues. Take care & I'll see you at your OctOpel meet or maybe sooner.

Jim, I spent about 5 hours cleaning the pond just for you.:p I'll take a few pics if we catch any fish.

I just talked to Rick, they should be at Ron's about 9:30 tonight. We'll start the party then.

~ Tom

·
Opeler
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Duane,
Tom just called me about your mishap.
I am glad you are ok, sorry you will miss our gathering. Mom and Dad were looking forward to meeting you and your family.I will see you in October.

Ron

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,484 Posts
Thank you for understanding and please appologize to your Mom and Dad for us. I promise we'll make the next one even if we have to take a loan!

Todd just left after picking up his GT, so he should be there tomorrow with it now that it's actually drivable.

Tom- I sent your cam and wheel cylinders with Todd.

I hope you all have a great time and get good weather. Please have a beverage.... or two for us. :beerchug:

Duane

·
Opel Addicts
2,476 Posts
Home Safely and Thanks!

We arrived home around noon today. No probelms with the GT or the Manta on the round trip.

Thanks to Tom and Ron and Ron's mom and kids for having all of us Opelers around for a few days. It was good to see everyone again.

Vickie & Allen

·
Opel-ing since '74
1,141 Posts
We're home and Dave should be walking through his front door any moment.

A big thank you to Ron and Tom for hosting this party. It was great meeting your fine family Ron, and seeing your version of the Ponderosa ! Please thank your mom, dad, Bob & Crystal for being excellent hosts. Tom it was great as always and thanks for the flag and the towels :D

OPELS + FRIENDS = FAMILY

Thanks again,
Rick and Adam

·
1,287 Posts
Wow, I walked through the door about 5 minutes ago!!!

Thanks Ron and Tom for hosting a great weekend with fellow Opelers. Ron It was great to meet your parents and children, Bob and Crystal. Catch phrase, "Can you get me ..."{:lmao:

Thanks Tom for saving me with a pillow and towel and for the flag.

See everyone again at our next outing.

Dave

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Yep...Big thanks to Ron and Tom for hosting this event. We had a great time! I hate we had to leave on Sat night, but at least we had a nice drive back. Glad to hear everyone made it home ok.
So what's next...one of the Octopelfest events?

Todd

·
Opeler
479 Posts
Thanks Ron & Tom. Annie & I had a great time! Nice to see everyone again!

·
Opeler
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks to everyone who could attend and making the weekend special.
It was a pleasure hosting the event with Tom and seeing all of you again.
My family enjoyed meeting some of my extended family of Opelers!
The weather was fantastic (hot!) for fishing, riding Tom’s quad and for lots of B.S and of course lots of good eats….
Like Vickie said, it was like a family reunion except without the weird Uncle!
To those who could not make it, get ready for next year !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron, Crystal, Bob, and Mom and Dad

·
1,099 Posts
"Like Vickie said, it was like a family reunion except without the weird Uncle!"

I'm bummed to have missed this for something as stupid as work. Sounds like everyone got home okay, I was all set to go fishing and play the weird uncle!:lmao:

Glad everybody had a good time and hope to see you all soon.

Jim

·
587 Posts
Thanks Ron

I want to thank everyone for driving out to Ron's for the event. It was a 2 hour drive for most of us. The closest was 45 minutes & the Philly/Jersey guys were closer to 7 hours. I also really need to thank Steve & Wendy of Rowdy BBQ for the excellent food. We had enough for lunch, dinner & some leftovers that I just finished today.

Rick, Adam & Dave arrived late Friday night & set up their cots in the garage. We talked:bs2:, had some snacks & beverages until 3am. Saturday morning & afternoon the rest of the crowd rolled in. Brian & his little girl Zoe showed up a bit late after running out of gas.:banghead: (Driver error. The Free Kadett still runs great.) My friend Joe drove out in his 77 Trans Am. We had him park on the side of the house.:yup: Dave blended right in the cornfield for a game of "Where's Dave?" There was plenty of good conversation going on. The golf cart, quad & fishing poles got a workout too. As the sun started to set, some had to drive back home. The rest of us sat down by the bonfire until after midnight.

Sunday morning we had coffee & muffins for breakfast. The rest of the Opelers starting packing up for their drives back home. I turned on the plasma cutter & made a quick sign for Ron to hang in the garage. Hopefully he will have some more to hang with it in the future.

Thanks again Ron for having this at your place & especially for letting me store a lot of cars & parts at your place.

~ Tom

Attachments

·
1,287 Posts
Great photos Tom, hard to believe something that big could get lost in the corn! The sign you made for Ron looks really cool.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts