Opel GT Forum banner

North-west Pa. Opel gathering!

11K views 52 replies 15 participants last post by  Mach1Tom (R.I.P.) 
#1 ·
It’s that time again!

Mach1tom and I are hosting a gathering at my house on Saturday, August 28th.

Actually, anytime Friday night to Sunday for anyone who may be thinking of traveling.

The main meet will be on Saturday the 28th.
There is “camping” on the property for any out-of-towners and indoor floor space available.

There will be food, drink and plenty of B.S!!

I am located off of interstate 79 Exit 154. It’s about 1/2 hour south of Erie and 17 miles north of Meadville.

Contact Tom or myself for directions.
Hope to see you there!!
Ron

#29 ·
Ok,

Now this is really late, but I *think* that I can go... We'll see. Is it alright if I just 'show up' tomorrow?

Oh, and I don't know where I am going, so could Tom or Duane send me the address?

Thanks a bunch,

Jay

PS. The *think* depends on whether or not my electric fuel pump actually works...I had a major failure of the mechanical one which left my engine about 1 1/2 quarts less oil in the amount of time it took to lose fuel pressure and cut itself off... Lets pray think newfangled thing works!

#32 ·
Wow! Great time with Opel Friends.... we hated to leave. Great turn out, too. I can't wait to see the pictures/video Rick is going to post.... Something to do with a tractor, a GT and a lake! :lmao:

Thanks to Ron and Tom for a great time!

Vickie & Allen

#33 ·
Same here! We had a blast, and luckily no issues on the way home. Thanks to Ron and Tom for hosting a great meet. As always, great to see everyone again, and I hope everyone has a safe trip home.

#34 ·
Ron & Tom's gathering

The food and entertainment was great - thanks Ron & Tom.

Attachments

#44 ·
Hi Sam; It was great meeting you ... good luck on your project. I hope you can make it out to meet the other Opel "nutz" at Carlisle next year. :yup:

Nice photo of that creepy used car salesman that was hanging around Ron's house.
What was that line he kept using: Ran when parked ??? :nana:

Rick

#36 ·
Sam, Awesome picture!

Below (from left to right) are Lynda, Todd Kirby and Rob Cassidy, standing next to our "table" (Ron's 4-post lift).

Event Restaurant Building

#37 ·
Got home safe a couple of hours ago...a quicker run home, and no delay at the border :veryhappy
Tom & Ron, thank you for organising and hosting this weekend, we had a blast, and really enjoyed the weekend...especially the "Campfire Tales"....
I see you caught me above in a rare moment of having a Steamwhistle in my hand....:lmao:
It was great to catch up with good friends again....

#38 ·
Robbie:

Was great to see you and Lynda. Very glad you had a better trip home!

I'm making a concerted effort not to make ribald comments about the "Steamwhistle in your Hand" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

We forgot to get a couple of Steamwhistles to go :( So we will put in an order for Carlisle!

Would be great if you could make it down for one of our meets some day, or just for a vist!

Vickie & Allen

#39 · (Edited)
I got home about half an hour ago. It was a very uneventful drive home...which is a good thing.

It was great to see everybody! Ron (and Tom), thank you so much for having me and putting me up in style for the night!

Interesting side note; I probably saw around 25 or so corvettes on my drive home, all at different times so they weren't caravaning some where. Any Thoughts?

#40 ·
Jay, there was a Corvette Show in Carlisle this weekend. I was in Chambersburg for the business the whole week and some Corvettes parked in front of my hotel were amazing.

It appears that you had great time. Somehow, I did not do good planning as I could drove my GT down to PA and stop on the way back for the NW PA gathering.
Well, there is always next year...

#41 ·
We just got home after a loonngg but uneventful ride. We left at 10:10 am and arrived home at 10:00 pm.

We just want to thank both Ron and Tom for hosting an awesome event and Ron especially for the great, and unexpected, accomodations. It was very nice of you to open your home to us like that. Tom, be sure to thank your friend for all of the tasty food, it was delicious! And thanks for sending us home with some of that all natural goodness from your blender.

Thanks to everyone for the friendship and conversation, we really enjoyed ourselves. I would also like to thank everyone for tolerating our (mostly mine) endless blubbering about how much we miss Shelby already and for being so understanding. You're a great bunch of friends.

Duane, Lynn & Erin

#42 · (Edited)
Well, I blasted home pretty straight and got in about 4:30. I would have commented sooner but my Internets were down.

Wow, what a great weekend and so glad I attended, was honored to hang with this crowd. Ron and Tom, you guys were so generous, the weather was great (best two nights camping in a long time) and what else is there to say? That's a great place Ron has and some pretty country.

Looked like a tough weekend for the Foleys but I'm just going to say the distraction of hanging out might have been a good thing until they kidnap Shelby and haul her back home again. :joke:

Nice talking to Jay also, these younger faces are all gonna be smarter than I am. Well, maybe not all, but Jay's got us all hands down in the pancake department, just like Duane rules with Arctic Cat and Rob with Steamwhistle. Oh yeah, Linda Rhubarb, it was great to see you too.

All in all a super duper weekend. Thanks again.

(P.S. Forgot to mention I aired out the tent after I got home and it DID fit back into the little bag. AMAZING)

#45 ·
Sorry for the late reply ... I'm finally home from my 3 Corners of PA tour :yup:

Thank you Ron and Tom for another excellent weekend in NW PA. The food and friendship was a great diversion from my continuing saga. I won't even try to list everyone who was there, but it was really nice getting to see all who made it out for the feast-ivities :veryhappy

Next up - OctOpelFest ?

Rick
Pix and video to follow !

#46 ·
Thanks To Everyone !!!

THANK YOU
I wish to thank all in attendance for making this meet the best one ever!
I'm glad everyone made it home safe.
I had a blast, I did not get to talk to everyone as much as I would have liked to, but there will be next year!!!!
I cannot express my appriciation enough to everyone.
Tom and I just hosted the event, it was all our Opel family that MADE this weekend possible.

Here is a facebook link of photos (i hope)

NW Pa/ Ohio Opelfest 8-28-2010 | Facebook

Ron Mattern

#51 ·
Tom,
I must tell you I have made more smoothies since the meet then ever in my life! Erin is a smoothie junkie, which is great because it is hard to get her to eat healthy. I can sneak all kinds of great stuff in them! My only question, how can you tell when a mango is ripe? :veryhappy

#52 ·
How cool is that! I admit I've been mulling a blender or juicer ever since that apple juice and mango crossed my parched lips, will have to turn to Tom for advice.

In my experience, mangos are ripe when they just start to give to the touch or smell fruity opposite the stem end (don't even go there). Like nectarines, I don't buy them if the skin is even a little grainy (rather than very smooth) which indicates dehydration. Putting them in a paper bag increases the nitrogen concentration and speeds ripening.

They're also ripe when they start talking back and say, "Don't even think about it!"

Still recalling that fine weekend here. Thanks Ron and Tom and all guests.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.