Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few photos around with a custom cover over the area where the batery goes. I've patterend it and cut a bit of stainless to fit but now need some advice on how to put a mirror finish on the steel. Any suggestions?

·
1000 Post Club
1,409 Posts
go to a harley shop and get some polish from there, will make one nice finish on it. and then just do alot of buffing to it

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I made a fiber board pattern to make the nose piece but I couldn't figure out a way to do around the brake fluid container and make it look good. Can you post what you did?:cool:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
To get a mirror finish on stainless will require a lot of work. Using my experience on doing that on my model boat hardware, if the surface is not scratched, you can start with rubbing compound on a buffing wheel, then polishing compound, then "SimiChrome" from your local Harley shop, followed up with a good coat of wax. Works for me. If the surface is scratched or has blemishes. remove them with "3M" wet/dry paper wet, then go to 600, wet, then 1000 or 1200 wet. Then using the last piece of 1200 dry keep burnishing the metal until the blue haze is gone and you can see yourself in the piece, the do the above buffing procedure. It will take some time. A lot of time. But it's all in what you're after. I used to spend evenings with a towel on my lap, watching the TV burnishing the metal, lots of evenings.

·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
baronbors said:
I made a fiber board pattern to make the nose piece but I couldn't figure out a way to do around the brake fluid container and make it look good. Can you post what you did?:cool:

I'm still working on it but the one I saw had a cut out for the brake rez cap. When i'm finished I'll post photos.

·
Registered
28 Posts
body shop in Denver???

my GT got towed in may and they messed up using the flatbed. my car shot forward and munched the body for the front bumber wasn't on... my car is crunched in the front and the custum paint spider cracked. does anyone know of a real nice expensive all metal body shop in the denver Area??? i need to get some quotes so i can get an amount of $$ thats fair from AAA.

anyone?

·
Opeler
175 Posts
RckymtnOpel said:
my GT got towed in may and they messed up using the flatbed. my car shot forward and munched the body for the front bumber wasn't on... my car is crunched in the front and the custum paint spider cracked. does anyone know of a real nice expensive all metal body shop in the denver Area??? i need to get some quotes so i can get an amount of $$ thats fair from AAA.

anyone?
Being from the drag racing community, I'd check with some street rod, race, or specialty car shops there. My first stop if I were looking for info would be at Bandimere Speedway from the folks who race there. Just my 2cents....

Bill B.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts