Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me see if I can explain this..the lip under the bumper where the nose and belly pan meet (right below the front turn signals)...is there supposed to be a rubber gasket or something similiar that goes over this? Probably a stupid question, but want to make sure before I put it back together. Thanks.

·
1,973 Posts
where the original was spot welded on? no.

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
I think mine originally had a black plastic trim piece that covered the outer edge of the grills. As I recall, the grills are held in place by little sheet metal screws that go into holes that are on the vertical plane in the body sheet metal (sort of "tabs" in the edge of the belly pan and along the upper edge of the nose opening). Then this trim piece fit against the grill edge, and had little plastic pins that fit into holes on the horizontal plane. But when I started to disassemble my GT, the plastic trim pretty much fell apart and I threw what was left of it away.

Anyone else remember or still have this trim piece?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Keith, that black plastic trim you referred to, that goes all around the grill opening on my 72 GT was a chromed plastic strip with small spring clips that held it on. I've asked around and no one makes a replacement, that I can find anyway. I've been seriously thinking about using some adhesive backed plastic chrome trim the ricers use in that area. :(

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
I got the chrome strip from opelgtparts.com a long time ago, but it did not include the clips (which are a PITA to remove without damaging).

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
I asked Gil last year for this replacement piece. He no longer stock it(correct me if I'm wrong). I might have to go the same route as namba209 :(

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was not talking about the grill opening..right above that..the lip that goes from wheel well to wheel well where the bumper bolts on...but I think that Jordan answered it by saying "no". The body shop was asking, and I didn't know for sure. Thanks...good thread also, because I didn't know about the chrome strip around the grill, which I also don't have. Thanks.

Kevin

·
Detritus Maximus
2,839 Posts
I may be mistaken, but I do remember something about the trim around the grills being an early GT (68-69?) application. I have one on (actually it's off) my 69 GT.

My very first GT had some 'bondo issues'. Someone had removed the front and rear bumpers and smoothed the areas with Bondo. Aside from my dismay at having Bondo and not having bumpers, it sure did look good like that in black.

·
1,875 Posts
Both of my 1970 GTs have the plastic trim around the grill opening. I used chrome paint before I put it back on the car and it looks good. The little pins hold it in and are a good part to look for on the GTs in your local boneyard!

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Reminds me...

Bought a NOS one of those grille strips on eBay a couple of weeks ago - has not arrived yet so it may have come surface Post - only take 10 weeks to get here like that ..... :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts