Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.
I've been lurking this forum for a while, mainly trying to colect knowledge about the engine on my 1968 1900S Rekord sedan, since it is the same used on GTs.
Anyway, since there are so much similarities, the forum and your threads have been really helpful.
Up till know i've always doubted that my secondary was working, mainly because in 4th gear the car would only reach about 130kmh with great dificulty, and in lower gears it did not seem so "alive" as one could expect for a 1900cc, altough many reasons for this could be pointed out.
Also, accelerating "by hand" on the carb linkage, I could not make the secondary work, unless I opened it also by hand - and in those moments, man did the engine become posessed!

On a recent search I found this thread: http://www.opelgt.com/forums/linkage/16004-throttle-grommet.html.

I've got the same problem and IMO this could explain why the secondary does not work: by throttle pedal is really loose, loose beyond what one could consider normal. Checking the firewall on the engine compartment, I noticed that the first rod on the linkage is very, very loose and surely some bushing is missing.

Could anyone post a closeup pic of this part of the firewall so I can see what could be missing?

Thanks a lot and sorry for posting while not being a GT owner.
Cheers from Portugal!

· Super Moderator
9,836 Posts
Hi there.
I've been lurking this forum for a while, mainly trying to colect knowledge about the engine on my 1968 1900S Rekord sedan, since it is the same used on GTs.
Anyway, since there are so much similarities, the forum and your threads have been really helpful.
Up till know i've always doubted that my secondary was working, mainly because in 4th gear the car would only reach about 130kmh with great dificulty, and in lower gears it did not seem so "alive" as one could expect for a 1900cc, altough many reasons for this could be pointed out.
Also, accelerating "by hand" on the carb linkage, I could not make the secondary work, unless I opened it also by hand - and in those moments, man did the engine become posessed!

On a recent search I found this thread: http://www.opelgt.com/forums/linkage/16004-throttle-grommet.html.

I've got the same problem and IMO this could explain why the secondary does not work: by throttle pedal is really loose, loose beyond what one could consider normal. Checking the firewall on the engine compartment, I noticed that the first rod on the linkage is very, very loose and surely some bushing is missing.

Could anyone post a closeup pic of this part of the firewall so I can see what could be missing?

Thanks a lot and sorry for posting while not being a GT owner.
Cheers from Portugal!
If the throttle linkage is roughly the same as GT, then Gil at Opel GT Source --- Welcome has the two grommets that should clear up most of the slop

· Administrator
10,419 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:yup: I also thought so, although I'm not familiar with the other bushing.
This part looks just like what I feel is missing..
Tonight I'll post a pic of the place where it should fit, so you can give me your advice.
Thanks a lot and keep it up.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here they go

The first one is on the engine side and the second on the driver's side.
Both are really loose.
I think that the plate with 3 bolts on the second image will accommodate the part on the link.
What do you think?
Thanks a lot.

· Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,822 Posts
Looks like you found it along with a good parts supplier! That one is a huge difference from the grommets used in the GT! :yup:
Gary,

the rubber part in the link is the "bearing" for the actual gas pedal, not the throttle linkage grommet.

I think that the plate with 3 bolts on the second image will accommodate the part on the link.
What do you think?
Thanks a lot.
That is correct, this is where the hard rubber part will drop in. It looks similar/identical to the original Kadett B gas pedal, I can take and post pictures tonight.

Dieter

Pics added:
#1: the inner parts of what is shown in the OP's gas pedal pic, from my Kadett
#2-4: Shameless me is showing off how my homemade, bolt-in replacement looks like :cool: Yes, if you connect it to 12V, it glows blue :yup:

Attachments

Reactions: Gary

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey there.
This weekend I solved the problem.
I have a donor 1969 rekord 1.7 and went for the part. Unfortunately, there is no plastic cushion on this year's model (or someone altered this car in particular). There is just someting similar to a jackshaft with no bearings.
So I had to build the part from a thick piece of hard rubber I had laying around.
It took me some 40 minutes, and boy what a difference after mounting!
The engine is much more alive, reaching higher revs and I think that now the secondary opens in fact. The throttle course is naturally longer, no slacks, 3rd gear reaches 100 km/h, and 4th I cannot tell but I believe that 140 or 150.
These values are not very different than before, but now I can reach them much more quickly - faster acceleration.
In your opinion does this mean that the secondary is now opening?
Thanks for the suport.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.