Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
I did a search for this but couldn't find what I need. 70 GT, noticed the ammeter light not lighting and alternator not charging when first started. Get down the road 3-4 miles, it 'kicks in" and starts working correctly. Pulled over today, pulled the plugs from the voltage regulator and alternator for a minute, replaced them, and all of sudden had a charge. When I shut the car off and restart it, no charge again. Voltage regulator going bad? Wires seem to be fine, and when it kicks in it charges. Alternator rebuilt about 2 years ago, replaced voltage regulator at that time. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,410 Posts
Check your grounds. Loosen then tighten the regulator. Then replace the regulator.

·
Banned
420 Posts
I had a similar issue with mine, ended up being the fusible link off the + post of the alternator.

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
You Guys

Look, I'm not Rally Bob. LOL

But when you have an electrical problem, especially with a GT, just ask me. I can usually tell you what it is.

In this case it's time for a solid state regulator.

BTW, for a long time, you could buy an opel regulator, that was solid state. but had a big can taped to the top, so it looked like the old one.

Nine times out of ten, if an Opel has an electrical problem, it's a fround issue.

Okay?

·
Opeler
153 Posts
I frowned....

....when I read this because I completely rewired my GT and don't ever recall running into a "fround issue." Enlighten me....?

vancek

Look, I'm not Rally Bob. LOL
Nine times out of ten, if an Opel has an electrical problem, it's a fround issue.

Okay?

·
Super Moderator
9,758 Posts
....when I read this because I completely rewired my GT and don't ever recall running into a "fround issue." Enlighten me....?

vancek
"Fround issue translates into ground issue due to a mis-stroked key....:veryhappy

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. I was thinking it would have to be the voltage regulator given I have no ammeter light coming on.

·
boomerang opeler
5,637 Posts
iirc the stock alt needs the bulb to lite up to "energise" the coils in the alt, i would pop a new bulb in first to make sure its not that before hunting the illusive ground fault

the power runs from harness through the bulb to the alt and only when the alt makes power does it go out , if its not coming on then thats where to look

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It does come on, but not when I initially start the car. After a few miles, it seems to kick in and the car charges normally. There for a while I could stop and restart the car, the light came on when starting and it would continue to charge. Now, nothing unless I get out and pull the wires from the voltage regulator, give it a minute, and replace them. Then it charges.

·
boomerang opeler
5,637 Posts
ah that is different to what you said in first post

·
Registered
150 Posts
I noticed my ‘70 was doing that a few times after the first time I replaced the regulator. Then a hole burned in the back of the regulator. That was three or four regulators ago. Now they just fry as soon as I start the car. Grounds are good, and I even had the alternator rebuilt a few weeks ago to try to fix the problem. Didn’t work. Now they just burn out faster.
Good luck with yours.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,923 Posts
Are you certain the regulator to alternator wiring is correct?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts