Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay.

I've been driving Maggie for the past week with the Mach in the shop for warranty repair. Maggie drives better with each passing day; stronger & smoother.

On Friday, about half way home on a 20 mile commute, her 32 year-old throttle cable breaks. We pull into a parking lot; I stuff a GM Visitor's hang tag (I'm at one of the Corporate bldgs 2-3 times/week) under the throttle stop to get some revs up and limp her home.

Adds 15 minutes to the commute.

Once home, I call Gil at opelgtsource.com 's 800 number and have him expedite a new throttle cable. 60 bucks for the cable, 20 bucks to expedite.

Cable shows up Sunday 'round 2:00 PM. Takes all of 15 minutes to install.

While I'm at it, I tighten the air horn on the Solex and re-adjust the carb. Fix the belt chirp and reset the timing. Maggie flat purrs now.

Of course - I get to thinking. The new car is in the shop with an idiot working on it. He told me I had a bad pushrod on a DOUBLE OVERHEAD CAM ENGINE! That conversation went badly for the other guy after that. Sadly they've had Max the Mach for a week and have done NOTHING to it.

Meanwhile, I break a 32 year old car and have it on the road in less than two days while expediting parts across 2500 miles.

So - I can fix the old car, but the new car is relegated to monkeys with Snap-On stickers and spit for brains.

So--I'm thinkin' I'm the idiot for thinkin' it's time to sell Maggie. I sent an email to the guy wanting to buy her and let him know the deal's off.

I feel a whole lot better now.

Whew!

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
Its just this kind of story that keeps me from selling the Bitter and getting a BMW.

I have a budget of about $4000 for either

A) new motor in Bitter - Leaving me still to have to deal with a marginal A/C and Heat and a leak when it rains that drips on my foot that I have never been able to track down.

or

B) Buying a 1991 735iL BMW for $4000, that needs "some work".

Then I think about the cost of fixing simple things on my other BMW, and stick to the Bitter.

Currently waiting for a backing plate fo the 328i, after its rear wheel fell off doing about $600 worth of damage.

Charles

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
And to top it all off, if you don't have a $600 scanner or similar, you won't be able to fix any car made after the early 90s, as far as removing and replacing components because you won't know what's wrong without the scanner talking to the computer and finding out why the MIL (Malfuntion Indicator light)lite came on in the first place. Now you know why MY newest car is a 75.

Ron

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Amen, Brother Ron! When new cars get 22-25 mpg and the 30-something Opel GT gets 25-30 mpg, it's kind of a no-brainer. In all honesty, I like my 96 Dakota Pickem-up truck (won't do much more than plugs and etc.), but only as a work vehicle. No fun at all drive-wise.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
namba209 said:
And to top it all off, if you don't have a $600 scanner or similar, you won't be able to fix any car made after the early 90s, as far as removing and replacing components because you won't know what's wrong without the scanner talking to the computer and finding out why the MIL (Malfuntion Indicator light)lite came on in the first place. Now you know why MY newest car is a 75.

Ron
that's not exactly true - you can get the computer to flash its codes thru the check engine light on many vehicles. Do it all the time; on warranty repair it makes the job go faster when I can tell the tech what's wrong.

I hafta drive a newer car as part of my job - a requirement. While I love drivin' my mid 13 second Mach while getting 20 MPG, I'm not drivin' it now...It's been in the dealer a full week.

Up here in the world of snow and salted roads, Opels are dead inside of five years. My 1st opel had softball sized holes in the fenders when I bought it in '79. Nope - up here you get a new car to beat on, and an older car to cherish.

·
Opeler
62 Posts
2 years ago I got a brand new Passat for my "everyday driver"... It ended up being my "everyday-it's-not-broken" driver. In the shop at 250 miles :( , 1200 miles :eek: , 1500 miles (to fix what the mechanics broke during the second 'repair' job) :mad: , and a few other times after that... There are two recalls on it right now- but I can't really get the car to the dealer at the moment... You see, I became too frustrated with the mechanical breakdowns, the interior falling apart, and the shoddy paint that can be messed up by practically looking at the car (all this in just under two years) that I put the 'new car' in storage, sparked up the Opel, and haven't stopped smiling ever since.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
musical Opels

I think having an extra opel around as a daily driver is a great compromise. All the benefits of driving the old car and it doesn't ruin your "nice" Opel to drive it every day. Besides, Opel Wagons are truely wonderful utilitarian vehicles. Find yourself a Kadett with a 1.1 if you're driving around town mostly and your wallet will thank you for the 40+mpg too.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yiger said:
2 years ago I got a brand new Passat for my "everyday driver"... It ended up being my "everyday-it's-not-broken" driver. In the shop at 250 miles :( , 1200 miles :eek: , 1500 miles (to fix what the mechanics broke during the second 'repair' job) :mad: , and a few other times after that... There are two recalls on it right now- but I can't really get the car to the dealer at the moment... You see, I became too frustrated with the mechanical breakdowns, the interior falling apart, and the shoddy paint that can be messed up by practically looking at the car (all this in just under two years) that I put the 'new car' in storage, sparked up the Opel, and haven't stopped smiling ever since.
did the 'zact same thing in 2001 - bought my wife a Cabrio. ran like crap; interior and exterior trim literally fell off the car. Stranded my wife once. Reduced her to tears twice. Dealer tech told her the car was 'old technology', and she had to accept rough running.

This is not a good thing to tell the wife of a guy who can get a 1929 Model A to idle smoothly down to 200 RPM.

I called VWOA (just up the street from me) and raised executive-style hell.

By the time the shockwaves settled, they:

a) Bought the car back, and;
b) Fired all but one of the service staff at the dealership.

They seemed to be proud that the service techs had all been fired. My contention was why'dja hire them in the first place if they were bad, and second - why'd you wait for a meltdown to fire them all?

How long do you think it will be B4 I consider another VW product?

GM, baby!

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Sanity Prevails!

chuckspeed said:
okay.

I've been driving Maggie for the past week with the Mach in the shop for warranty repair. Maggie drives better with each passing day; stronger & smoother.

So--I'm thinkin' I'm the idiot for thinkin' it's time to sell Maggie. I sent an email to the guy wanting to buy her and let him know the deal's off.

I feel a whole lot better now.

Whew!
I am very happy to see sanity prevail - someone may have mentioned keeping Maggie a wee while ago! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts