Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ran into the problem listed above. I'm assuming there's something wrong with the ignition system somewhere, but being as I don't know anything about these cars, I have no idea where to start. I've tried finding threads on the forum with a similar problem, but can't find anything. I thought it was a dead battery at first, but the problem remained when I went to jump start it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Can Opeler
3,683 Posts
This site is your friend for basic problems like this https://www.opelgtsource.com/tips.php
Go to the electric notes and read through it. Pay close attention to the grounds section and check all of your grounds.
Then go to the wiring diagram for the starting and charging circuit. Take your time and trace the wires that go to the starter, make sure they are all tight and go to the right spot. Check the fusible link, it has been known to go bad, you can replace this with an inline fuse or order a link if it’s bad. Not sure what amperage is needed.

Try to start the car by jumping the big center battery post on the starter to the post on the right of it with a screwdriver. If it starts you have bad wiring between the ignition switch and the starter. If It doesn’t start you have a bad engine ground, bad battery/battery connection, or a bad starter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Über Genius
9,528 Posts
You need to determine if you have voltage to the fuse box. Check the 4 bolts in the fuse block to see if they have positive.

·
Über Genius
9,528 Posts
It does help a little but to answer the question... you need a cheap volt meter.

·
Senior Contributor
5,083 Posts
The switch inside on the back of the lock cylinder that actually sends current to the starter solenoid goes bad in our cars. You need to learn how to check for voltage with a meter if you are going to try and figure this out by yourself.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This site is your friend for basic problems like this https://www.opelgtsource.com/tips.php
Go to the electric notes and read through it. Pay close attention to the grounds section and check all of your grounds.
Then go to the wiring diagram for the starting and charging circuit. Take your time and trace the wires that go to the starter, make sure they are all tight and go to the right spot. Check the fusible link, it has been known to go bad, you can replace this with an inline fuse or order a link if it’s bad. Not sure what amperage is needed.

Try to start the car by jumping the big center battery post on the starter to the post on the right of it with a screwdriver. If it starts you have bad wiring between the ignition switch and the starter. If It doesn’t start you have a bad engine ground, bad battery/battery connection, or a bad starter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It'll turn over when I do that.

·
Can Opeler
3,683 Posts
It'll turn over when I do that.

Here you go then.

Diagram Plan Text Technical drawing Floor plan

PS. Check and clean your grounds at the fusebox and steering column while you are down there

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here you go then.

View attachment 346233

PS. Check and clean your grounds at the fusebox and steering column while you are down there
Okay. The fusible link is still flexible, and the wire you had me check looks fine, at least at it's connection to the starter. I'll check the voltage when I find my multimeter. And where are the grounds?

·
Über Genius
9,528 Posts
Could just be the 6-gang plugs are loose. I believe the white and black ones are from the column?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts