Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today at the local hardware store, I drove the Opel to get a few interior screws, I walk outside and an old man (near 60+) is looking over the Opel. He says "Nice looking corvette, Is it a 66?" I tell him it's an Opel GT. He then points to the GM emblem on the back of the car under the rear window and says "That's a GM Corvette". I tell him it's not a 66 but a 69, get in the car and drive away.........Man, I really like this car........

Stanley

·
Registered
125 Posts
To add....

Just to add my own little story... I've had the car over at my folks' house quite a bit. My dad was up at the grocery store this weekend when the teenage bagger asked "You live on Brentwood Circle right?" My dad said yes he did. The kid said "Oh your daughter has that cool green car huh?" :D Yep indeedy.....

·
Opeler
30 Posts
Stanley, your car looks great! What spoiler is that?

When I finished the face off (stock look) restoration of my 73 like 8-9 years ago I was followed several times. :) One time a mustang coming from the opposite direction turned around and followed me for several miles until he could catch up and see what I was driving, then he turned around again and headed for whereever he was going in the first place. :)

Hopefully next summer I can begin the total restoration of my 73, until then this site provides my 'fixes'. :D

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pick up the spoiler from www.sportwing.com. It is the smallest universal spoiler with a brake light. I wish it was 6" or 8" longer on each end but the only purpose I wanted it to serve is the third brake light. My wife and kids didnt like it but their not driving it either......

Stanley

·
GT Resurrectionist
67 Posts
I got pulled over one night, and the cop asked ( Opel GT? ) I said ( Yea ). He looked it over and said ( How long has the car been black? ) I said ( What do you mean? ) He said ( we had a report of a gray Opel GT running someone off the road, and this is the first one I have seen in 10 years. ) I said ( it has been this color since I got it 5 years ago ). He said ( OK then go on. Nice car. )

Here is the kicker. My car is grey, but looks jet black at night. And for the running the person out of the road. It was a old truck full of junk on my side of the road. He ditched it on my side trying to miss me. I didn't have time to stop I was late for work.LOL!!:D

·
Opeler
30 Posts
ROFL!!! That's the only thing I worry about with my GT, people just don't pay attention while driving anymore. I think that in general people have forgotten that driving is a privilege not a right.

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well today I drove to the local Autozone and picked up some oil. There was a man with his head in my driver side window looking around....He looked at me and said "Man I sure would like a steering wheel like that, How much did it set you back?"
I laughed and told him it was original.....He didnt say a thing about the car.

Stanley

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Jarrod Li said:
ROFL!!! That's the only thing I worry about with my GT, people just don't pay attention while driving anymore. I think that in general people have forgotten that driving is a privilege not a right.

I agree that some peope are clueless when it comes to being an alert driver. However, I must respectfully disagree with your statement. Driving CERTAINLY is a RIGHT! We all have the "right of transportation by the current means of the day" to paraphrase the Bill of Rights and Supreme Court decisions. Just because every DMV handbook tells you otherwise is not a reason to surrender our RIGHT. How else in this age are we expected to get to work to earn a living, bring food to our children, etc.? All those rights depend on our right of free travel.

To not accept this idea, means that you believe that some authority has GIVEN YOU the "privilege" of driving. This same authority could decide on the "privilege" of driving an Opel on our streets (i.e., "sorry only cars after 1995 will be allowed on public roads from now on").

A privilege can be revoked without warning or explanation. A right is MUCH harder to take away.

Just throwing this out to bear in mind. Our hobby (and more) may one day depend on the mindset of the people regarding this issue.

Walter

·
Registered
16 Posts
Following the Opel

There are very few Opels here in San Jose, CA. The day after I first found this forum, I was getting out of work early and what did I see on the other side of the parking lot but a primer-painted Opel GT.

My heart jumped. I had to find out what this guy knew about Opels and whether he was selling his or knew someone who was. I sped off across the parking lot, freaking out as I got stuck behind a slow driver, but managed to ALMOST catch the guy. My truck is quick, but this guy was driving like he knew I was following him. Maybe he saw the insane look in my eyes :p

He finally got too many lights ahead on the open road for me to see him anymore, so I called off my pursuit.

Damn was that car sexy.

·
Opeler
30 Posts
PROPEL said:
...Just throwing this out to bear in mind. Our hobby (and more) may one day depend on the mindset of the people regarding this issue.

Walter [/B]
I guess I just refer to it as a privlege because some people appear to think that they can drive however they want, regardless of the law...
Doing 60mph in a 35, straddling lanes, illegal rights on red...passing cars that are turning on a 2 lane road instead of waiting for them to turn...that kinda stuff appears to be the norm now and people don't even seem to realize that they are doing it, much less that it is against the law...But I do wholeheartedly agree with you that driving is a right granted by the right of transportation, but that applies to everyone universally. If everyone could remember that we might have a lot less accidents.

Anyway....this is way off topic now....sorry...we now return you back to your regularly scheduled program....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts