Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Pedal Smasher
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An extremely clean, well cared for and all original green 240Z just sold on BaT for an unheard of price, surpassing the all original orange Franklin Mint 240Z that also sold on BaT. I thought that car had sold insanely well considering it was the car Franklin Mint used to create their model car. You guys have got to see this...

·
RunOpel
809 Posts
Wow that is amazing and what beautiful car that is. There profit of margin was an average $6,250 per year.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
  • That's just nuts. Wow. I saw the auction and briefly toyed with a 20k bid but even that was more than I thought it was worth. Maybe I'm the one who's nuts.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Two years ago, the shop that was doing the body work on my GT was, at the same time, doing a frame-off on a 240Z. I suspect the restoration for that car was probably in the vicinity of $100,000. The owner must be licking his chops now.

·
Pedal Smasher
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the Franklin Mint car I mentioned...

That sold very well at $124,240. It’s somewhat understandable though being the car the toy maker used. But for a bidding war to happen and run up the price to $310k? Wow. You can easily get a rust free 240Z for $20k and well cared for cars sell for about 2 to 3 times that. I figured it would maybe reach $80k. You could buy a couple 240Z that are nut and bolt restorations to factory spec for $310k.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I am happy that people are willing to pay more and more for imports from the late 60's thru the 70's but the price of this Z is crazy... there are plenty of rust free Z's here in AZ ...Check w/the Dessert Z club. For $310 you can buy quite a few. I have a '69 Datsun SPL311 (meaning a 2000 with a 5 speed) in original unrestored condition that I have had for over 10 years ...bought it for $2500 + $200 for detachable hardtop.......Everything is for sale if the price is right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts