Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there I was playing around on e-bay Germany again, and I ran across several 4-speed automatics origionally used in Opel Omega A's behind the CIH-6 and later the 24V-6 engines.

Most appeared to be the Aisin-Warner AW-03 boxes with the following ratios:
1-2.45:1
2-1.45:1
3-1:1
4-0.69:1

But some were the somewhat more modern AR25 and AR35 with the following ratios:
1-2.40:1
2-1.40:1
3-1:1
4-0.72:1

These transmissions are much larger than the 3-speed automatics origionally in out cars, but they *should* be able to be bolted up. I was wondering if anyone had ever done so, and what kind of results they had.

With that much overdrive a 3.7-3.9 rear end would still be fine, and even as high as 4.1 could probably cruise down the highway for a while.

That or a high hp Kadett with a 3.08 rear could enter the Silver State challenge with an estimated top speed near 165 mph. :D

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Asian-Warner AW03-70L

I have an Asian-Warner od auto waiting to go into my GT.
The ones from Isuzu (and Toyotas BTW) are pretty close to small enough to fit. A bit longer than the TH180 but not any fatter.

Mine is out of a 140PS Twin Cam Isuzu which has the starter bulge on the same side as the Opel motor. The Isuzu Impulse (and Toyota?? the one I have anyway) have the starter motor on
the other side. I am also using the Isuzu 3.9:1 gears with a limited slip (the diff had one in it too) plus the rear discs. Not bad for a $75 car that no one else wanted - er the Isuzu!

In an Isuzu Piazza the autos perform very well and will wind out to 6,250 rpm before shifting. The od is electrically operated and can be switched on and off from the Isuzu control pods. Some even have 'lock-up' convertors. Throwing the switch when in overdrive is just like changing down from fourth to third in a manual box - lots of engine braking.

I guess the Opel units would bolt up to the GT motor - pity they are mostly in Europe.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Auto Trans Size

The Asian-Warner is 32 inches long and the TH180 27 3/4 inches
However the 4-speed auto is much slimmer than the TH180 behind about 6 1/2" in diameter for most of its length whereas the TH180 is 8" or more. The shift linkage is on the same side as the GT and some Toyotas have the starter motor on the same side as the Opel. More info as I proceed with the match up of the torque converter and bell housing. I'll get them side buy side on the shop floor and post a picture ASAP

·
299 Posts
hey that aw trans should work if the pilot isnt right then you could get the flexplate and adapter from an omega aswell
i was looking into the 4l30e that gm has and i thinnk the catera might have a close bellhousing to the cih i dk i havent seen one good though
but an isuzu trooper with a 3.2 or 3.5 has a bellousing similar to a 2.8 that might work in a gt with a 2.8 becaue it is alot smaller than the 700r4
if you want to use a 5 speed and not a getrag 81 and up chevettes had t5 in them and it will bolt up to a cih and it has a .7 od

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
TH-180 lock-up converter

A bit off the subject, but anyone know of any lock-up converter that would work with the TH-180? I'm interested in the 4-speeds too (OD) for my '69 Kadett LS with just a little over 30K miles on the clock now.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Auto Transes

TH180 on Opel 1900 with Asian-Warner in the fore-ground

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Re: Auto Transes . . . WORD OF WARNING!

GTJIM said:
TH180 on Opel 1900 with Asian-Warner in the fore-ground
Looks EXACTLY like the tranny used in my 1980 Cressida (Lexus predecessor). Early ones had 4 speeds (OD), but no lock-up, later "electronically shifted" ones had both.

Converted my Cressida to later trans years ago and had to change the engine FI ECU, add the trans ECU and do A LOT OF rewiring to make it work. WORTH the effort, but NOT RECOMMENDED for novices . . . especially electrical/electronic novices!

:(

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Lock Up

The trans I have is from a 1987 turbo Piazza AW03-72L and it does not have an ECU to control the gearbox.
From what I can see in the manual there is a very simple operation of the lock-up. It is controlled by the governor and the OD switch. Only locks up in OD above 70kph and off below 61kph
As soon as "kickdown" occurs it drops out of overdrive and cancels the lock-up with an electrical switch.
Hope it is that simple anyway:D

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Re: Lock Up

GTJIM said:
The trans I have is from a 1987 turbo Piazza AW03-72L and it does not have an ECU to control the gearbox.
From what I can see in the manual there is a very simple operation of the lock-up. It is controlled by the governor and the OD switch. Only locks up in OD above 70kph and off below 61kph
As soon as "kickdown" occurs it drops out of overdrive and cancels the lock-up with an electrical switch.
Hope it is that simple anyway:D
You're quoting EXACTLY how my original trans in the car worked. Had an "OD" switch where you could "disable" (as in, keep from switching to) the "OD". Don't believe that it only switched a lock-up converter though, as the later transmission also had an OD lockout switch AND a lockup converter.

The original Toyota engine in this car was a very smooth 2.6 litre SOHC FI straight 6, BTW. Iron block, aluminum crossflow head with a valve train and combustion chambers that were a "dead ringer" for the BMW SOHC head, a VERY good lineage. :D

·
299 Posts
tekenaar
in order to use a 180 ockup converter you must have a 180 lock up trans
so in order to have lockup you would need to get a 180c out of a 78 and later chevette and then wire it up to a switch with power to turn it on and off and even to the brake switch to shut it off

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't like lockup converters with small engines. They constantly go in/out of lockup or lug/bog on hills.

But for most of Texas hills are no problem. :)

·
199 Posts
Any updates on this??? thanks

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,404 Posts
technical terms explained

Q: What exactly are you referring to with "lock-up"?
I assume it could be to "lock-up" input and output shafts, so you have a gear ratio of 1:1 with a higher efficiency factor of the trans?

Dieter

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Lock Up

Nope. The lock up works on the convertor so that all slip is eliminated in overdrive to get better gas milage. Below about 60 kph the convertor is unlocked so that the auto works like an auto again at the lower speeds. Just like the late model TH200 4R and TH 700 R4 GM auto trans.
The later Opel CIH six-cylinder 4-speed OD auto is very much similar to the TH200 4R
They only lock up in over-drive

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
72opelguy said:
if you want to use a 5 speed and not a getrag 81 and up chevettes had t5 in them and it will bolt up to a cih and it has a .7 od
This is not just a simple bolt in, right? I've heard something along these lines before but I've never seen one installed in an Opel. Assuming it will bolt up, what other mods are needed to use one of these? Is anyone here using one in their Opel?

Todd K.

·
583 Posts
OD Automatic

Todd,

Uwe Klippert put the Aisian 4-speed OD automatic in a car that he got shipped over from California. It also has a 2.4L in it. He said that he need to enlarge the opening in the transmission tunnel to accomdate the longer tranny. It is the unit without the EFI ECU. The engine in the car at the moment is carburated.

You can see the car at his homepage www.uwe-klippert.de. It's the light blue US Spec. '73 Manta and it does have the automatic in spite of the photos with the 4-speed. I sent/hand carried the A/C unit that's in the car to California to be shipped with it. those things are heavy!

Dave

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Would the tranny tunnel have to be modified if one were starting with a car that was originally an automatic? In the Manta, are the tranny tunnels different between the 4spds and the automatics.

Interesting thread.

Todd

·
583 Posts
Modification

Todd,

Probably. There is a length issue with the automatic. It comes back further before tapering down into the body. It's a length issue, not width according to Uwe. You can send him an e-mail and get the specifics.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
neuropel said:
Would the tranny tunnel have to be modified if one were starting with a car that was originally an automatic? In the Manta, are the tranny tunnels different between the 4spds and the automatics.
Nope, the tunnels are the same. Only the mounts on the tunnel differ from manual to auto on a Manta.

Bob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts